“Iowa Comfort Food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Northwest Iowa
“Iowa Comfort Food”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We found this gem on our last day of vacation. We were just outside of Des Moines on Highway 141 and my husband said, "Find us a fun little place to eat." My first search brought us to "The Radish" in Grimes, but when we got there it was closed. My next search was "The Corn Patch." It didn't look like anything special and it had a few mixed reviews, but we decided to try it. It turned out to be the perfect final special meal on a fantastic back roads vacation.

The cover of the menu saluted farmers which always wins a vote from me. It also mentions the most common "complaint" -- that their portions are too big. Our server, Brian, was the right combination of helpful, personable and fun. My husband ordered the special -- ribs and chicken; I ordered a patty melt. While other restaurants serve complimentary chips and salsa, this place serves potato soup. Creamy soup with chunks of potato. Definitely Iowa comfort food! And delicious, too!

Our meals were equally delicious with nice presentation -- not fancy, but nice. My husband's ribs were just the way he likes them -- fall-off-the-bone. And the chicken flavor was excellent, "Just right," according to him. My patty melt had grilled onion and stayed together as I ate it. That rarely happens with a patty melt! It was all very good.

Our table was apparently right on the other side of the wall where food preparation was being done. During most of our meal, chopping was audible and a bit distracting. But we also interpreted it as fresh food.

We couldn't eat all of our food and did get to-go boxes. Plus Brian packed up some extra soup for us to take home - a very nice touch which we appreciated! Our total bill, including coffee, came to $27.05.

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at "The Corn Patch." Not only was the food great, Brian did a fantastic job of making us feel taken care of and wanting to return for more. Its nothing fancy but it still felt like a special place. As we left, my husband said, "The only way that meal could have been better was if it was free."

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ydstoti

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Great Eat there all the time!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have never had a bad meal....home cooking...........great food. Too bad about the waitress who didn't like it....but then she might have been one they didn't think worked well either! Love it!

• Visited April 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Potato Soup”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Good family restaurant with a warm atmosphere. Food is very good and with generous portions. Friendly help.

WEST DES MOINES, IOWA
“The best thing about this place”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Is the breaded pork tenderloin. It used to be the ONLY place to eat in Grimes, and strangely it's gone downhill since more competition has come to town. The service is earnest if not quick.

Visited September 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
“Menu states, only complaint is they serve to much food ! NOT”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Although the food was ok, the patty melt was really greasy,soggy, and very small not close to 1/3 lb and cost almost $10.00, Hardee's makes larger one's ! We ordered Onion Rings had to ask for them when my toddler size patty melt arrived, then they were over cooked. Meal cost $30.00 without tip for 2 patty melts,1 hash brown and 1 fry- that came with melted american cheese slice, the OR's and a beer. Go some where else if you have hearty eaters, you may find yourself hitting the McDonalds down the road..... The special is the potato soup I think they expect you to get full on that, I'm sure its made by the gallon's, its least expensive item to feed you.. We don't consider ourselves cheap but this was almost funny, the size of the patty melt. Always pay good for good service and meals

• Visited October 2012