“Wouldnt stay again...”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Fort Dodge
Ames, Iowa
“Wouldnt stay again...”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel only to take our 3 yr old son swimming. We got a cabin room which was alright. Shower had no water pressure so it was hard to wash yourself. You could tell the maids did a quick clean in the room because we had no shampoo and conditioner and our loation had been opened and used before. Gross. The "heated" pool was so cold you couldnt stand it.it wad also very dirty. Lots of sand and debris at the bottom of the pool and lots of papers and junk in the filters. Hot tub is very slippery. Staff is very very rude and dont care. Id never stay again. It was not worth the 150 we paid to use the pool in which no one enjoyed

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cedar Grove, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is a nice hotel but with some improvement in staff training and managment taking a more proactive lead, it could be lots better. I played commuter for 8 weeks till I could complete a physical move from town to town and I stayed here often for 1 to 3 days each week. I had major problems in the beginning with burnt out lights, un-clean bedding/pillows, non-vacuumed floors, requests that went un-filled, reservations that were botched up, etc. There was not a single week that I didn't mention something to the front desk during check-out. After the 4th week of being promised extra points, extra service and neither being full-filled I asked to speak to the manager during the my next stays check in. I finally had someone listen to my concerns and within 24 hours I was given extra points to my rewards program, was comp'ed a 2-night stay, and had a letter emailed to me from the head GM of this site. They were very nice about everything once I spoke to the right group of folks. Up to then it was a little touch & go! Only reason I kept stay is it cut my drive time in 1/2 from the office plus most places delivered here for dinner meals.
On-site restaurant was nice but is closed on Sundays. Decent food, but it got old after 2-3 weeks. Many of the restaurants in town will deliver to this hotel. If you have problems, speak up!

Room Tip: Stay in the newer section on the back-side of the hotel; I call these the "lodge" type roo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JanetCat73
Albert Lea, Minnesota
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Was here for one night on company business,I would positively stay here again when in the area!!Front desk was great help.easy check in etc.On site restraunt was FANTASTIC !!! (Buford's).Room was fantastic!!! Tiled shower !!!!!I about fell over,comfy bed & pillows,free Wi-Fi,did'nt have time for the pool,but it looked really nice,just might have to drive down here again on my own.Nice town,awesome Moose Lodge #806 !!!!

Room Tip: Did'nt have time for the pool,or the continentail breakfast,as I had to lave at 4:30 am.....but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Emmetsburg, Iowa, United States
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had reserved a pool side room and to me that meant I could walk out of my room and to the pool. Instead, I was on the second floor, and although my room walked out to see the pool, I had to either walk all the way around the second floor to the stairs on the other side or go out into the cold entrance and around to the pool. Also, the "heated" pool was freezing cold and the "hot" tub, was not hot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Middletown, United States
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I had a room that looked like a lodge, along the back. It was fine for my use , nice flat screen TV, Really cool tiled walk in shower.. typical free breakfast, biscuits and gravy, etc The room was clean

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

des moines, United States
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I found that the hotel was nice and the staff pleasant. However, they did charge for the safe that was never used and I had a request for a refridgerator. They brought me one that did not work and I needed to throw out the food I had . They did bring a workable one 2 days before my departure when I had no need of it. I would of liked to have been asked if I still needed it before they deposited it in my room and charged for it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in hotels the world over, and I have to say, my room is truly an oddity. It was decorated with anything a blind person could grab at a thrift store, and it's inexplicably equipped with a hot tub, but no shower. It's all open air. This property is woefully outdated, and in need of a serious update. Most of my lamps were unplugged, and almost all outlets are run from a single wall switch. I can't get the front desk on the phone to get an internet password, so I've given up. If I have a chance, I'm going to find another hotel and get out of here. I ate at the restaurant connected to the hotel (Buford's) and, well, it sucked. I'm having a really bad streak, lately. It's all because I took the easy way out, and disregarded TripAdvisor. If you are unfortunate enough to visit Ft. Dodge, heed what TA tells you.

• Stayed November 2013