“Nothing special”

Best Western Starlite Village
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Fort Dodge
Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you are on a budget, I would check out the newer Super 8 over this motel. Very much in need of renovation! We had a poolside room that looked like it had never been updated. We have eaten here twice and both times our drinks had black crap coming from the ice. Makes me nervous about the food! I do no recommend this to anyone unless you can get an updated room. The smell right upon arrival made me want to turn around. The girl working the desk was rude. There was a bug in the bathroom. Overall, I would never return.

Room Tip: Get an updated room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 20, 2013

First off the thing that hits you is the smell I am no smoker and the minute I walked into the hall where my room was all you could smell is old smoke and moldy smell.
The room was ok , bedding was clean , bathroom was clean last day I was there I never got replacement cups in bathroom or desk , they never dumped the water from my ice bucket.
beware the biggest problem no locks on the outside doors anyway could walk in and I watched people from the trailer park behind the hotel walk in the side door to go to the soda machines and then wonder around the halls , not good when the cleaning staff has room doors open when cleaning I have never been in hotel with no locks on the out side doors . Breakfast was a joke , same old cut fruit all week , 2 yogurts in the cold box that was not cold

Room Tip: If your used to having a more professional run hotel go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our family was very impressed with the beautiful, warmed pool in this hotel. Free breakfast was refreshed regularly by friendly staff, and our room was comfortable at a reasonable rate. A great place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I can't believe that this motel has negative reviews. It is a lovely property and nicely maintained. We had a room in the one story section at the back; looked to be either new or newly remodeled; very clean and attractive; very quiet. Breakfast was much better than most motel breakfasts with lots of tables available. The nice young woman at the desk was very helpful and attentive even tho she was working solo and the phones were ringing too.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be near the pool ask for a room in the two sections out back or not if you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R L
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I almost cryed my eyes out when I walked into my hotel. Not because of how bad it looked, but just because it smelled so nasty. i walked to the front desk to check in and I don't know if the lady working there has listening issues but she seemed to ignore me half the time. She also failed to mention that the hotel was seperated into two parts, indoor and and outdoor, so it took me 45 mintues to find my room in a frickin heat stroke. THIS HOTEL IS SKETCHY. It has dark hallways and walls, the pool area was misty and mysterious. It felt like a haunted house where someone could just pop out and scare the poo out of you. Plus there were tons of little kids running around unattended and they were causing a riot. I then decided to check out the workout room and it was nasty. Very old equiment. Their tredmil is run-down, their bike is the 1980's little bike fan and the room was small and clausturphobic. To top this place off, the rooms were nasty, smoky, and ugly, when clearly supposed to be a non-smoking hotel. Back to the management, they were terrible. Only one was on staff half the time and she couldn't give a care in the world about anyone staying there. She was such a ditz. I also had to switch rooms, due to one being very smoky when i specifically asked for a NON-smoking room, and after she gave me my new room, SHE SOLD THE NASTY SMELLING SMOKY ROOM, TO ANOTHER GUEST!!!!! Poor girl didn't know what was going to hit her.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Sean M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

One woman management when we arrived in the evening. She was friendly but on personal phone alot. Overall area looked clean with a home like feel. Pool is in a convenient location and decorative. We had a pool side room...very spacious. The ONLY bad thing about stay..our room smelled like baby feces and we found a bloody tissue stuffed in lamp by the bulb. Lady came right away and removed it...no other accomedies were made. :( minus the mishap and smell...good breakfast and friendly employees.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Everytime I come to this motel, they remember me - the ladies at the front desk are wonderful. I feel like I am coming home when I stay there. Thank you for being there for all of us. I highly recommend this motel

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends