“Homey and comfy feel but concerns with breakfast”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fort Dodge
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Fort Dodge
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Nice sized, clean and well kept. The wing-back chair with ottoman was nice feature in which to relax after a long day on my feet. TV had a nice selection of local and cable channels in HD on a 32 inch flat panel. The breakfast had a selection of vegan friendly items (fruit, mixed cut fruit, oatmeal, bagels), but was occasionally not well stocked during my 3 night stay and of lower quality than other hotels.

Room Tip: |Rooms on top floor will be quieter due to thin floors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EnvironmentalAdvisor
HollyJepsen, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fort Dodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We will look at different options for our breakfast selections. We try very hard to find items that are suitable for all our guests. Again that you for your time.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fort Dodge

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This property is clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were very helpful. The beds were comfortable and the suite quite roomy and quiet. The small refrigerator was an excellent benefit. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the lack of healthy items in the breakfast space. Great place to stay. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Room & beds are fine. Hallway has faint musty smell. We choose this place for the availability of breakfast & swimming pool + hot tub. The breakfast itself is ok. So are the pool/ tub. Staff are ok. Overall fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed in this wonderful hotel this weekend after leaving the starlite best western hotel due to the lack of service, kindness, and terrible terrible courtesy and rooms. The rooms smelled like horse sh** and smoke mixed into one. I requested a new room and they "clamied" they were full. I requested a new hotel because the starlite was a bunch of BS and I wasn't helped from the lady behind the counter for 40 minutes until she finally gave me directions to this hotel and she ended up giving me the wrong ones. So I was relocated to this hotel: the country inn and suites and let me tell you, It was a weekend changer. My weekend went from stressed and annoyed to overjoyed with this hotel. The pool and hot-tub were very nice and the staff is friendly and helpful. i also used the workout room and my only complaint with that was that it got very warm after a while and there where no fans to cool me down and so in result i had to end my workout early. That was okay though because there is a Perkins only two buildings over that was a great post-workout meal. Overall my experience was very great, the rooms were very nice (way better than those things that the Starlite hotel decides to call "rooms"), and I had no issues what-so-ever and I had a great rest of my trip. I highly recommend this hotel if you are going to be here a short amount of time. 5 stars all the way!

Room Tip: First floor is the best floor!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
8  Thank Sean M
Reviewed April 12, 2013

N42 30.062 W94 08.816 I found the desk clerk to be very helpful and friendly. I was on the 2nd floor and was a few doors down from the stairs. I didn't notice any smell. The room was clean and the bed just fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
HollyJepsen, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fort Dodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for the positive comments.
We hope to see you on your next trip to Fort Dodge.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

When we checked in the man behind the counter just kept talking about "Hotel Policy" and how "it wasn't his fault", no apologies for the incovenience checking in was. There was also a terrible smell in the upstairs hallway and the beds were hard as a rock. Will not be staying at this particular hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HollyJepsen, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fort Dodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

I am sorry you felt my staff was rude. When you arrived to check in your room was to be charged to credit card you did not have. When your reservation was made 4 days prior to your arrival the person making the reservation was informed that we would need an authorization form returned to us so we could charged the credit card for your stay. My staff faxed the form to the card holder for them to fill out and return. When you arrived 4 days later we still had not received the the form. We are only trying to protect the card holder by requiring an authorization form. I am sorry you felt that this process was rude.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the cookies were great, and the room very clean and neat. The bed was like sleeping on the floor. Very hard and very uncomfortable. I woke up with a very stiff back. would not recommend to anyone with back problems. The breakfast was great and checking out was a breeze. If it wasn't for the bed it would have been a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HollyJepsen, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fort Dodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for your response. I am sorry our beds were not comfortable for you. Thank you for your other positive comments.