“good food, good value”

Mineral City Mill and Grill
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Fort Dodge
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: I think this place just opened. The food was great, it is the "most classy" place for "miles around", the decor is interesting, and the service was above average. The smoked pork chop was the best any of our group had ever eaten. The steak was average. Full bar with reasonable prices (a really good Long Island Iced Tea was $5.25). This was an unexpected gem in a small Iowa town not known for its food.
Guttenberg, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food, good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Very nice atmosphere, good selection of popular food. I need gluten free and they even had a gluten free suggestion menu. I also have to avoid artificial additives and our waitress even brought me a label from the ice tea mix so I could check it. I had water but she brought me lemon for it too. Very personable young woman and very attentive to our needs. The bus boy was even a little too attentive; he wanted to take a salad plate before we were completely finished. Would recommend for anyone looking for good American style food at a price similar to many of the mid-class chains but food seemed fresher.

Visited May 2013

“Meh.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Was driving through Fort Dodge on the way to Spirit Lake and decided to stop for a sit-down meal. Using my handy dandy tripadvisor app, we chose Mineral City, as it was ranked #2 in town. I thought the building was neat and it appeared to be newer or recently remodeled. We decided to take a seat at the bar, as we are both bartenders ourselves. This particular bartender seemed nice enough...but didn't flash one smile. I ordered the coconut chicken tenders and fries which was all fine and tasty. My companion ordered the Mineral City Strip and requested it med-rare, however, it was definitely over cooked for his liking. It was a delicious steak other than that slight issue. Our bartender did ask us how everything was...after we were just about done. Being the only guests at the bar, I was a little turned off by how poorly we were taken care of. All in all...meh.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank lalanela
Plainwell, Michigan
“Average experience; surprised it was an Italian restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I did not expect an Italian restaurant inside what appeared to be an American steakhouse or grill from the outside and the restaurant's name. From the grill, they offered two steaks (ribeye and strip), pork chop, and parmesan crusted chicken (not sure how you grill that last one).
The menu presented seven appetizer choices - some not very exciting (deep fried breaded cheese cubes), some puzzling (six meatballs with marinara sauce and a little parmesan cheese? Grilled chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese on top of a Caesar-dressing covered tortilla and baked) and one didn't sound good at all (coconut-battered chicken strips).
There were ten sandwich choices (three of which were burgers), eleven pasta dishes four dinner salads (all with chicken), and four seafood dishes. I've never seen shrimp scampi served in rice instead of pasta, and I didn't want to try it.
I had the shrimp fettaccine (shrimp, broccoli and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and garlic, served with fettuccine and their original alfredo sauce for $11.99). The sauce was bland and pasty. However, the shrimp were a good size, and the broccoli was pleasantly al dente.
My husband had the asiago bake (shrimp, grilled chicken, penne pasta and smoked prosciutto ham, baked in creamy asiago cheese sauce for $11.99). He said the shrimp was a waste because it only presented a slightly different mouth texture - but no flavor difference - and really, he couldn't tell the difference between the shrimp and the chicken. He characterized it as average.
The children's menu offered shrimp, spaghetti, fettuccini alfredo, chicken strips, cheeseburger and macaroni and cheese (not the Kraft kind, so I know our child would turn her nose up at it without even trying it). Our 8-year-old daughter couldn't finish the generous helping of spaghetti with three medium-size meatballs. However, she said it tasted good.
Service was brisk but not special. Overall, it was an average dining experience.

• Visited March 2013
Cary, North Carolina
“Good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Nothing special about this place. Menu looked good and my meal was fine. They had a decent beer selection as well. Nothin spectacular, but certainly nothing that would prevent me from going back.

Visited February 2013
Sioux City, Iowa
“Coconut chicken salad and sweet potato fries - ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is our second time to meet the family for lunch half way between our homes. Fun family time. I had coconut chicken salad...amazing as was the sweet potato fries.