“Going back, as it was that enlightening”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fairfield
The Raj Ayurveda Health Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Fairfield
Petrolia, Canada
“Going back, as it was that enlightening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I recently stayed at The Raj - a whim with a friend. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The location is gorgeous, the building designed with purpose and while the gold trim might "date it" as other reviews suggest, the quality of material, carpet, etc. surpasses most 4 to 5 star hotels I've stayed at. But of course this is only relevant if you miss the whole point of going to The Raj. It is a place where if you want to respected, provided opportunities to relax, learn and reflect this is it. Your treatments and meals are well organized, leaving plenty of time for you to take part in offered lessons (cooking, yoga, talks) or rest. The treatments are outstanding and do work. I haven't been able to sleep on my back for nearly a year and after their treatments and continued oil baths I am now sleeping better and "on my back". The cleansing also helped me feel like I once was, healthy and happy. I will be returning for a longer stay and in the mean time many of family and friends are going.

In short, The Raj is a place for people that want to learn a new way of being, and for those already aware of Ayurveda it's a place to strengthen their roots. For others who aren't aware or aren't open then The Raj might not be for them.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely and quiet. If you like morning sun then east side, if enjoy an afternoon pond...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Friendly2u4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Key Biscayne,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Wow.....this place is great......Travel alone, or go with family/friends - it all works at the Raj! When you think the stress, pressure and fast-pace of multi-tasking 24X7 is taking too high a toll.......give yourself a needed rest & recharge. This place has it all, wonderful accommodations, service, great food, yoga, detox treatments, meditation, lectures, cooking classes, beautiful walks. You can be active or solo as you like....the results will amaze you....I'm committed now to make it a regular part of my routine....

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, quiet with all the comforts....
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank GoToReJuvinate
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have stayed at THE RAJ myself and found it to be a very nice place to relax. As for the guests I've had the pleasure of bringing to THE RAJ, they also found it to be a wonderful place to restore their well being. The treatments seem to work for them very well. The grounds they found to be peaceful and at one with nature. In a word, they get back in the limo as new people! Note from your chauffeur: If you are traveling to THE RAJ during the winter months, be prepared for delays in departing the Fairfield / Vedic City area. The weather may be fine at THE RAJ, and there may be WHITEOUT conditions at your choice of airports. This has happened to me with guests, and I could not pick them up because travel was not recommended on roads. The same with arrivals. So come for a visit and enjoy what THE RAJ has to offer, it will be well worth the trip!

The Chauffeur CRI

Room Tip: I love the rooms facing East myself!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank thechauffeurcri
Galena, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

I was visiting Maharishi University of Management for a weekend and one of our excursions was a visit to this place. I spent the whole weekend learning about Vedic Science and it's various application. The Ayurvedic way of improving physiology is only one of them and yes it's based on taking the pulse. As I did not actually stay here or experience that I cannot comment on it, but i did talk to several people that said it has totally changed their lives.

We had a brunch here and oh man was it wonderful. I love ethnic food so I was totally at home. There was a wonderful curry with homemade paneer and peas. There was also daal, yams, and lots of vegetables. And it wasn't all ethnic there were little pizzas and burritos and a salad bar. I would go there just to eat. The staff was also there and ready and willing to help us.

I would like to stay here and experience what the hotel is really about, Ayurvedic physiology relating to the mind.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Whichwayisit
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

This is my fourth year in a row going to The Raj for Panchakarma. I love it and I disagree this is not for a single traveler as I go alone every year mainly because I am seeking some quiet time away from my stressful, demanding job and the big city. And each year I meet interesting people and I always make new friends. I have always been greeted by someone at the front desk unless it is after hours (but they had old me this would be the case). The two times that I have shown up after hours there has been a manilla envelope with very detaled explanations concerning my room, etc. I have never had any problems with service; in fact in my experience is that they always go out of there way. I have always loved the food and I'm not even a vegetarian. I always leave here rejuvenated and motivated to live a healthier lifestyle. No one has ever tried to push any TM on me or get me to do anything other than eat healthy and follow a healthy daily schedule as prescribed by ayurvedic recommendations. It is in the middle of nowhere and is very serene and quiet with a lovely lake and lovely buildings. The town close by is quaint with interesting shops especially the book store and the health food store ("Everybody's"). To me this is like coming to a very comfortable home - it's not all fancy but it certainly is very comfortable and there's nice warm, milk sitting out every night and the beds are very comfortable.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the backside of the building
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
15 Thank babice
Fairfield, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I frequently stay at the Raj for rejuvenation spa treatments (about 12 times in the last six years). Even though I live nearby I stay there to get a way. The treatments are done in the best of the Ayurvedic tradition. The AyurVedic experts are well trained in the tradition. I always go away feeling better and cannot wait to come back again. The staff is pleasant, engaging and intent on making your stay the best possible stay. Experts in Ayur Ved give fantastic evening knowledge programs on prevention oriented health.

The home office of my company is located in Fairfield. Whenever we are entertaining corporate guests we put them up at the Raj confident that they will have a very serene and pleasant experience. They have all loved it and want to come back again and again.

Room Tip: West side rooms face pond and woods.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
14 Thank rangerrock
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

no one to greet you at the front desk and the employees are totally out of it! thell al look like they're starving to death and very spaced out! everyone got food poisoning when we were there and the owner was nowhere to be found! very odd experience! i would not recommend for panchakarma treatments or anything else. The Chopra center far exceeds this place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
15 Thank happygolucky012
RajAyurvedaHealthSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Raj Ayurveda Health Spa, responded to this review, September 8, 2015
Our Front Desk staff is available from 9:30am to 4:30pm daily.

We currently have no extremely thin employees (she actually struggled with keeping weight on). And the "totally spaced out" employee you were referencing no longer works here either. All of our employees are quite competent & we intend to make all of our guests as comfortable as possible.

Unfortunately, we received a bad shipment of loki/lauki squash! We stopped using that distributor almost immediately following that incident.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Fairfield
BEST WESTERN Fairfield Inn
Hampton Inn Ottumwa
Hampton Inn Ottumwa
#1 of 7 in Ottumwa
Super 8 Fairfield
Super 8 Fairfield
#4 of 6 in Fairfield

Been to The Raj Ayurveda Health Spa? Share your experiences!