“Nice hotel near Okoboji”

Estherville Hotel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Estherville
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My family and I stayed in this hotel July 28th. We wanted a hotel for around $100 near or in Okoboji, but couldn't find anything in Okoboji. This hotel is 15 minutes from Okoboji, but it was worth it. The hotel is less than 5 years old, well kept on the outside and inside, the staff person was friendly, and the hotel was quiet (during the middle of the week). The sheets smelled fresh, the air conditioning was pefect and the shower was warm. The only problem was they had no extra blanket at the front desk, and the hot tub was temporarily out of order, but those things were no big deal. The pool was heated and a nice size for our kids. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 24, 2010

I recently stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites of Estherville. I arrived on June 10th and stayed through the 14th. My first night there was excellent and I slept wonderfully. My second and third night night however were nowhere near as pleasent. There were children running in the halls late at night, even when the front desk clerk had asked them to stop. They were also very loud in the lobby, and were all over during the day. I also had to go up a staircase to get some ice where I had to tiptoe over crushed cheerios that appeared to be put there deliberatly. The trim also had been torn from the wall. I was appalled. My breakfast was very pleasant. The breakfast attendtant was very accomodating and nice. I felt very sorry for her and the rest of the staff (the front desk and the housekeepers) for how rudely they were treated by some of their guests. I was very happy with how my room was cleaned and serviced. I also appreciated how concerned the staff was about me having a good stay. They were very accomodating. My unhappiness comes from me having to deal with some of the other guests that were there. The children that were there appeared to have the minimum, if any, adult supervision. The rest of my stay was very pleasant.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

We had a very similar experience to that of Vagabond5959. Many people in our group which booked approximately 25 rooms for two nights reported that the warmest the showers would probably get was 65 degrees. Several in our group reported the problem to the front desk with responses varying from "I'm sure it's not that cold" to "We've got a plumber working on it." Well, in any case the problem was not corrected in the two days we were there.

Routine maid service was not performed. Clean towels were only available when you presented soiled towels at the front desk and requested clean ones. They were certainly not even delivered to our rooms.

Breakfast was adequate but when the waffle batter tank was emptied the first day when only part of our large group had been able to partake in the breakfast, several were told that it wouldn't be refilled.

Complaints to the general manager, Tammy Dykstra, were met with flippant, smart alec responses. When asked for the address of the owner to file a complaint, one guest in our group was told by the general manager that if they had anything to say, it should be said to her because she was in charge. Another guest asked for an email address to file a complaint with the owner. The manager replied that it would just come to her and be deleted any way. Another guest in our group mentioned that he would not be staying here again. The manager replied with a smile and a shoulder shrug. No customer service!!! And certainly no concern for repeat business. (Our group used the same hotel in 2009 at which time the management in place then made us feel welcome and invited us to stay again anytime.) Quite a change in one year.

Another staff member mentioned that the hotel was in the process of being sold which might explain the lack of service. I would recommend that the new owners look closely at the management in place at this location and consider an upgrade.

• Stayed: June 2010
EsthervilleSleepInn, Owner at Estherville Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Thank you for your review. We apologize that your stay was inadequate. We have recently had a change in management. We hope you will try us again and have a more pleasant experience.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

Ice cold water for the shower, rooms not cleaned during stay, towels not available staff said that it was because they were alone and couldn't do the laundry. Ran out of waffle mix by 8:00 am and said that they would "try" to get more (they eventually did). Refrigerator did not cool. Pool closed all day. The general manager was 100% unresponsive to any concerns. I do have to say that the night clerk was very nice and tried to to what he could to make our stay more enjoyable. The "business center" (computer in the corner of the lobby) computer did not work to access the internet.

2  Thank 4basketball2010

Reviewed April 19, 2010

At check-in, with big sighs and eye rolling, the desk clerk made me feel like I was inconveniencing him when I insisted on getting the AAA rate that I had been promised over the phone, in order to save me $9 a night.
8:00 on a Sunday morning, and the shower was probably 65 degrees - one of the coldest showers I have taken in my entire life. I talked to several other people who were travelling to the same event as us, and at least 4 other rooms had the exact same problem - no hot water.
Bed was springy and lumpy. Room had thin walls – we could hear the TVs on both sides of us through the walls, and could hear conversational volume voices.
Breakfast was completely underwhelming. Waffles were a disaster - even my daughter, who normally loves these giant waffles, said they were disgusting. They had a very metallic, chemical taste. Muffins were stale, oatmeal tasted perfumy.
While I was checking out, the baseball coach ahead of me was also having a problem that while he had been promised one rate, he was actually being charged $20 MORE per night per room for his team.
When I complained about the lack of hot water, the hotel clerk basically said, "So what?" shirking the hotel from any blame.
The only PRO this hotel has is that it is walking distance to the Iowa Lakes Community College campus.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 19, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times throughout the past few years. The staff is always extremely helpful and nice, major kudos to the management for that. It is also always very clean, but keep in mind that its location & class make it a logical choice for construction workers as well as families, so don't be surprised if you find a little asphalt on the carpet. The linens were clean but very low quality (although I'm not sure one can expect much different at this price point). I wish the building had been constructed better, the sub-par construction ruins any chance for solitude. That being said, there is no better place to stay in E'ville and the quality of the staff rivals (& even surpasses in many instances) that of some of the 5 star luxury resorts we've stayed in. Just bring along a white noise maker if you are sensitive to the comings & goings of others. I'm always glad to arrive here and know that we'll be safe and treated as kindly as possible.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We were in Estherville for a family function and were given great service. I didn't realize that our rate included breakfast so that was a nice addition. They have a large breakfast area with lots of choices including make your own waffles. The hotel is in good condition. We wanted directions and they had a good attitude in providing them. The free wireless internet was easy to use. The room was large with a big desk and included a refrigerator. They also offered late checkout so we could return to the room afterwards and change for the drive back home. That little touch was very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IowaTravelersUSA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estherville
Super 8 Emmetsburg
#2 of 3 in Estherville
Super 8 Spirit Lake/Okoboji
Super 8 Spirit Lake/Okoboji
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake

Been to Estherville Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!