“Just What the Doctor Ordered”
Review of Elkader Inn Motel

Elkader Inn Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elkader
Elkader Inn Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Elkader B&B and Inns
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Just What the Doctor Ordered”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Northeast Iowa is one of the more picturesque places to visit in the Upper Midwest. In the summer, the rolling hills are lush and green; in the fall, the leaf show is spectacular. This is small town America, and there is no Hyatt or Embassy Suites to stay at.

The Elkader Inn is a road-side motel which offers clean, comfortable rooms at decent prices, smack dab in the middle of the Heartland. Everything with the room was as it should be: air conditioner was functional and quiet, bathroom was spic and span clean, lights and television all worked well. My bed was very comfortable and I slept like a dream. The owners live at the property and obviously work hard to keep it in good shape.

I will stay here every time I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Carlz S S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Milwaukee
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the "A Frame Cottage House" at the motel and enjoyed the serenity and peace and quiet that it has to offer. We had our own private little deck and enjoyed sitting outside viewing the surroundings. The room was very clean and the family that owns it was wonderful and very helpful. We decided that we will be staying again when we go on our next fishing trip and have more time to enjoy the historic downtown area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Melissa776
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I checked the Tripadvisor reviews for the Elader Inn Motel and they were all positive for cleanliness...they were right! Somebody mentioned that it smells clean when you first enter the room...I agree. This was one of the cleanest motels I have stayed in. Yes, it is from the 50-70's motel era...but that's what makes it wonderful...it is simple clean and cozy. I felt very comfortable and I am quite picky. Great place to stay and I will return! (It is near the hwy, however, did not bother me in the least.)

Room Tip: Remember this is an older style motel...but that is what makes it charming and cozy! I did find the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank TravelThyme7
Marshfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We booked this motel room months before, as all the area rooms were booked,due to a fest in nearby Prairie Du Chien, Wi. As it turned out, we made a great choice, as we had our Corvette out with us, and we had ample room to park it, large area for the cars. The other reviewers are accurate, and it is clean, comfortable, and the owners are very friendly and accommodating. Quiet time is between 10 pm and 7 am, and it is a fine place for sleeping in! We like this area so much, we are thinking of retirement in Elkader, as the people in this area are so nice, and this is really the heartland of our country. A small fridge was great for our overnight drink storage, and the ice machine in the inner access hall provided our drink ice. We'll stay here again, when we return to the Elkader area for sure. Check out the Clayton County Fair in nearby National,in Early August for a 4H local animal judging fair with local groups selling the food. The best pork fritter sandwiches I've ever had! Very friendly, just like this motel!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Weekendramblers
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stay at the Elkader in 2-3 times a year as a base to fish the rivers and streams of Northeast, Iowa. This is the cleanest Motel I've ever stayed in. It's basically just a motor lodge, but the couple that runs it is very nice and it's very inexpensive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank kmhdm
Des Moines
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed in the A-frame and our friends stayed in one of the normal rooms. Both were clean and nice - not up to date but not worn out either. The staff was nice, and we enjoyed the town. For the price, it's a reasonable value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank djj13
Forreston IL
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I had some business in Elkader and didn't have a lot of choices, but this turned out to be a very nice place with wonderful proprietors. The room was clean and comfortable. Free WiFi worked well (WEP key security) and convenient to the downtown area. In the summer they have an A-frame that must have a spectacular view but because of the four-flight stairs getting to it, it's not open in the winter. And speaking of winter, the night I was there developed into a snowstorm and the owner scraped off my car and shoveled around the doors, a very welcome gesture. He also noticed the night before I had left the dome light of the car on and was kind enough to let me know. Little touch, but very welcome. If you are a light sleeper, the traffic noise or the heater fan might bother you. I slept just fine. Very nice little place and I would stay there again should I be in the area. Given the ubiquitousness of cell phones, I can understand the lack of a phone in the room. Local phone books were available in the drawers. One very nice feature was the inside hallway so the maid does not have to go outside to clean the rooms. Parking is right in front of the room. Room had a small fridge and coffee maker as well has hair dryer and iron. Shower was really nice.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank ECWForrestonIL

Been to Elkader Inn Motel? Share your experiences!