“Loved”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elkader
Elkader Jailhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Elkader B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My mother and I were looking for somewhere close to stay for a family wedding...I have to say, that the name threw me off a bit. Of course we waited until the last minute and couldn't find a single hotel with an open room within the distance we were looking (excluding the Super 8 who wanted $150 a night). Having never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast, I wasn't sure what to expect, but the price was right and there was an opening! We arrived LATE on a Friday evening, and Julie was so gracious to wait up for us. We stayed in the two bedroom suite which had a bedroom with a queen size bed attached to a second bedroom (with a lock-able door) that held a full and twin sized beds, a large closet, and a private bathroom (gorgeous) just across the hall from the queen bed room (this suite would be great for a family as well). The beds were so comfortable, and everything so clean! The banquet hall is in the middle of the cell block and it is a lot of fun to explore! Breakfast was beautiful and delicious! Both my husband and my dad were so intrigued by the pictures that we sent them that they "surprised" us by coming up for the wedding--even though I think the main reason that they came was to see the beautiful B&B we were raving about! Even the men loved it--after the initial shock that there wasn't a tv in the rooms---they were elated to find the big screen tv downstairs in the cell blocks!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are amazing---families will love the 2 bedroom suite--couples the 3rd floor suite O...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Libbey L

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had the opportunity to stay here in July. Tho Julie could not be there,our rooms were ready when we arrived. We had a great time looking around the jail being able to view where the 'inmates' were kept. The location of the Jailhouse being on a hill, gave us a great view of the town from our rooms, The Emma Big Bear suite. Besides the River Walk, Elkader also has a nice public swimming pool. We defiantly will consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I visited Elkader for 4 days on business and was left with only a handful of options within an hour drive to town.

A Google search brought me to the jailhouse inn's website: http://elkaderjailhouseinn.com and my curiosity was peaked. I called and left a voicemail and an hour later Julie returned my call and confirmed my reservation.

I stayed in the Harstad suite on the top floor. Every accomodation in that room was of exceptional quality and taste (The nicest ironing board I've ever used.) I have no idea how they got the gigantic claw-foot bathtub up there - I mean, I've never seen a bigger clawfoot tub, even in pictures, and I watch a lot of HGTV. The bed was cozy, the sitting area was quaint and had an amazing view, and the rain-head shower had lots of pressure.

On the first night, after hanging out with Merlin I retreated to my room and did some work on the very fast wifi, the second night I hung out in the jail hall with my hosts and watched some tv, and on the third night I sat on the front porch watching the cloud lightning come over the hills on the other side of town before resigning to my room.

10x better than any chain hotel and better priced to boot!

5/5 (I might have to make another trip just to stay there).

Room Tip: The Harstad room is well worth the extra money, if you don't mind an extra flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Love being able to say this with tongue in cheek. My cousin and I were visiting family in Elkader and chose to stay at the Jailhouse Inn because it sounded so different from everything else. This was my cousin's 1st experience with a B&B - boy was she thrilled with the ambiance, privacy, beauty and luxury. Julie is the perfect innkeeper. My cousin and I stayed in the Emma suite but I'm planning to return with my husband to stay in the loft. My gosh what a gorgeous space! Breakfast was sumptious with Topsy Turvy French toast and all the fixins'. The Jailhouse Inn greatly exceeded my expectations - it sets the standard for what I will expect wherever I go. Thank you Julie for your graciousness and letting us meet Merlin.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The Jailhouse Inn is a stunningly beautiful former jail built in 1870. The owners bought the place on a dime and have turned it into a beautiful bed and breakfast. Gorgeous renovated suites are designed to appeal to a variety of people. My favorite is the Harstad suite in the former attic. It is spacious, brightly decorated, elegant and the view out the window in the winter is something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Elkader is a beautiful town in the backdrop of the Northeast Iowa bluffs with unique shops, wonderful restaurants, and good people!! If you are going to stay anywhere in Northeast Iowa come to Elkader and check out the Jailhouse Inn - you wont regret it.

Room Tip: Every room has a spectacular view Botanical suite - big bed, huge bath Harstad suite - relaxing, c...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here for two nights whilst visiting relatives but really that was not long enough to do the hotel justice. The hotel has been renovated to a very high standard and the room was large airy and extremely comfortable with large ensuite bathroom including jacuzzi bath and seperate shower. The rooms are all individually decorated and furnished with alot of time and thought going into restoring this historical building. The rooms, quite rightly do not have modern day media appliences though wifi is free. This is a place to chill and soak up the ambience. The jail itself is the central public area where breakfast is served and there is also a small bar. Julie the owner is a very hospitable and friendly host and was most helpful. If you ever find yourself in Elkader or the area the Jail house really is a must, I don't suppose there is anything quite like it elsewhere, if you are not in the area ..... make a detour.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GunnHa
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Immaculate, spacious rooms, good bed, newly remodeled, good food. Next time I need to stay in Elkader I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frank2176

Been to Elkader Jailhouse Inn? Share your experiences!