“Amazing burgers!”
Review of The Irish Shanti

The Irish Shanti
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Elgin
Description: The Irish Shanti is a full service, casual, American/Irish style restaurant and bar. Known for its “down home” style cooking and hearty portions, it has become a popular establishment in Northeast Iowa. Located in the tiny village of Gunder, (pop. 25) it serves as an excellent destination for any traveler enjoying the natural beauty of NE Iowa’s landscapes. The Irish Shanti is famous for its Gunderburger, but also serves up some great entrees of pork, beef, turkey, chicken, fish and various sandwiches and homemade salads. The Irish Shanti offers a full service bar which includes a nice selection of Irish whiskeys and over 50 beer selections including Guinness on tap. Voted fourth place on Iowa Public Television’s “Best Irish Pubs” in Iowa in 2008. Featured in the Des Moines Register’s “100 Places to Visit Before You Die” in 2007.
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing burgers!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stopped by this restaurant having heard about the famous Gunder Burger! We were drawn in by the idea of a 1 pound burger and left being thrilled about the taste of the meat, the freshness of the bun and the friendliness of the people. It is a small, quaint place right off the road. We were welcomed warmly by the staff and then our order was promptly taken. The Gunder burger does take some extra time due to the size of the patty. One member of our party order the burger with corned beef on the burger and guiness mustard and caramelized onions and he was loving it! They had a nice size selection of beer as well. We loved this place and will be back to try more of this restaurant's great menu.

• Visited July 2014
Kevin W, Owner at The Irish Shanti, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for your review. Hope to see you again very soon. Til then, stay hungry. -kevin

“Always Awesome”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I had the Loaded Gunderburger with potato salad. Kaboom! Best burger you will ever find. The cheese balls and macaroni salad also were excellent. We try to incorporate the Irish Shanti into any road trip even close to this joint.

1 Thank bigmoney1231
Burlington, IA
“Big burgers! ”
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food and service. The gunder burger is in -sane ! Nice place. Seats probably 60. They use local ingredients

West Union, Iowa
“Buy the Gunderburger meat from a locker?”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was surprised by barbara08's review of the Gunderburger. The review states that "People around here know that a burger shouldn't be as full of gristle and fat as mine was this week." I have eaten at the Shanti literally hundreds of times over the past thirty years, through three different owners, and I have never been served a Gunderburger that was full of gristle and fat - Never! In fact, the burgers are all formed by hand so that the cooks see each and every burger from the inside out - none of the burgers arrive pre-formed into patties. I have brought many family members and business associates to the Shanti for a Gunderburger and not one of us was ever disappointed in this signature burger. As to buying the beef from a local locker, I have been told that meat served in a public restaurant must be federally inspected. Although there are lockers that meet this requirement, or so I would think, I doubt that just any locker in NE Iowa would meet this qualification. I grew up in a grocery store with a fresh meat counter and feel like I know beef pretty well. I have certainly eaten a lot of it! Some of the best ground beef I have ever had has come from a chain grocery store and Moore's has excellent ground beef. I have had ground beef from a locker that was excellent and I have had some that was not very good. The argument that all ground beef from a chain grocery store is inferior to ground beef from any locker in NE Iowa is simply not true, at least in my own experience. I am sorry that the reviewer had a bad experience. I am also sorry they did not find more daring beers and that the salad bar was not up to their standards. Those are not my areas of expertise. But I do know ground beef and the Irish Shanti consistently has one of the two best burgers I have found in NE Iowa over the past 60+ years. And, I would say, if you have a bad experience, visit with the owners - they want you to be satisifed. By the way, I am not an owner of the Shanti or any restaurant. I just eat in a lot of them!

• Visited October 2013
Dyersville, Iowa
“Enjoyable experience”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had been hearing about the "Gundy" burger for a long time and decided to make the trip and have one. We weren't dissappointed! It is a 1 # hamburger and very tasty. We split one burger between two of us. We even tried LaVonne's potatoe salad which was pretty good. The atmosphere is very friendly and family oriented. We were glad we drove the hour to get here.

• Visited October 2013