“There's Just Something About this Field That's Touching”

Field of Dreams Movie Site
Book In Advance
More Info
$20.00*
and up
Field of Dreams Movie Site Guided Home Tour in Dyersville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Is this Heaven? No, it’s Iowa. A place of fertile soil, traditional values and simple pleasure. And, in Dyersville, Iowa, at the century-old Lansing family farm with its quaint, and oh-so-recognizable house, baseball still ranks as a favorite pastime for all ages. What better place to carve a baseball diamond from a corn field and to make a movie about pursuing one’s dream, no matter how much effort it takes? For the first time in history, the Field of Dreams farm house is open to the public with purchase of timed tour tickets via our website.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 30, 2013

In my opinion, Iowa isn't very exciting and there just doesn't seem like there is a lot to do in this state, but while we were here, we took in the Field of Dreams. I wasn't very excited about it, and I think my significant other was even less excited, but it interested us more than the Tractor Museum, and of course it's the famous Field of Dreams from the movie with the same title, so we went.

I guess I wasn't prepared for how touching this place really is. When you take in the messages from the movie, and are actually standing right there where they filmed it, there is just something about that which got me choked up.

My suggestion, is watch the movie before you go. Make sure the movie is fresh in your mind, so if you haven't seen it for years, watch it within a month of visiting the Field. There's just something about it.

As far as the attraction, it was free. There is plenty of space to have a picnic, and people tend to take turns practicing on the field when there isn't a game going. Many people wear their baseball uniform of choice, often representing the team they are on. After visiting, I'd say it is one of the best attractions in Iowa.

3  Thank tigereye79

Reviewed April 28, 2013

... and yes we did just that ! Planning our road trip from Missouri (my dear departed Dad's birthplace) thru Iowa (mom's hometown, who is also passed this past year) was an emotional journey for myself and my family. When I discovered that Field of Dreams movie set was on our way to the last stop in our journey (beautiful Chicago- but that's a whole other wonderful review) I knew my husband would be thrilled. He has always loved this movie (who hasn't) and literally had tears in his eyes standing on the field looking around. He loved throwing one of the several balls left out on the grass to our 2 teens (who also thought it was cool being there). He ran the bases, noticed the switch on the side of the house (yeap that and the bleachers and the tall lights are all still there) that Ray uses to turn on the lights at night for a game, and sat on the bleachers and quoted from the movie. Just sitting on the bleachers at sunset, and watching a couple of cars come down that long lone dirt road to the field makes one take pause. Like the gentleman before me said, "its not just a baseball field on a farm, but the realization of one man's dream. it is a must see........... and the souveniors are terrific... my husband got a great hat and well made hoodie (was nice for Chicago in Nov.) kids got mini baseball bat pens, etc. and I got what reminded me of being in the state where my precious mother was born and raised " Is this Heaven???? No, it's IOWA. Don't miss it.

2  Thank travelinMaxwells
Reviewed April 13, 2013

There's not a lot to do here, but if you love baseball, take the kids and your baseball gear and play a game on a sunny afternoon. If you don't have enough to make a full team, no worries, there's always other groups there who haven't got a full team either. Together you've got a full roster.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

There is something magical about visiting this field. You can see it in the faces of the other visitors who are composed of people of all ages.
It almost doesn't matter what time of year you visit, you likely won't be alone. The field looks almost exactly like it did in the 1988 movie with Kevin Costner. In the late summer, you can almost see the players coming out of the seven foot tall cornstalks that border the outfield. Bring your kids, especially if they are baseball or softball players. Play some catch, or pitch to them from the mound. It will be one of your fondest memories.
There is also a pretty cool gift shop. We bought a framed ariel photo of the field for a reasonable price. This property has been sold to an organization which is going to develop the property around the site into 20+ baseball diamonds within the next couple of years. So get there soon before the cornfields bordering the field are gone forever.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I could understand why this has mixed reviews. If you don't love baseball and movies, and you didn't learn to to play baseball with your father then don't go. We were in the middle of a six team MLB road trip: Cubs, Twins, Royals, Cards, Brewers, and White Sox (in that order) a few years ago. Reason enough to drive about 5 hours from Minneapolis, morning after a night game to get there, then had dinner with an old college friend an hour away and drove another 4 hours to get on the other side of Des Moines to get to an afternoon game in KC the next day. Had the Royals played at night we would have went to Winterset, Iowa to see John Wayne's boyhood home and the Bridges of Madison County. Try to plan those into your trip.

I played catch with my sons and we each took some BP, while Mom took some video and photos. We spent about two hours there. The kids were in and out of the corn a number of times. They really do disappear into the corn. Glad we went, probably wouldn't go back again. Every now and then my boys will say they are going to take their families to Field of Dreams someday. That makes it worth it

Things to know: we went in August and the corn was high. I couldn't imagine the place with no corn or after it had just been cut. The tall corn stalks make it work. Plan accordingly. The field is open all the time, but when the store closes, the women is gone very quickly, five minutes later the sprinklers start on the field. A little bit rude, the sprinklers could be programmed to go in the middle of the night.. The bleachers are not the all wooden bleachers that Ray built. There is no gravel/stone line that Moonlight Graham had to cross. No one lives in the house. The high tension lines go straight across the field, from 3rd base to right field. They were moved for the movie at a cost of $40,000. The sun sets behind 3rd base so you get great pictures of the kids in the corn in right field even though the ball players went into the corn in left field. Guess I've seen this movie too many times. Portapotties and over priced hats and t shirts. We were there before American Pickers hit the air, not sure exactly how close, but those two dudes Mike and Frank are close by. It is a shorter ride from the Chicago area or St louis. The place is for sale. You certainly couldn't make a go of it. Someday the place will be gone.

1  Thank EdSaid