La Playita Resort
$86
Travelocity
$97
TripAdvisor
Hotel Villa Romana(Pedasi)(Great Value!)
$109
$80
Hotel Cubita(Chitre)
$100
TripAdvisor
Villa Marina Lodge(Playa Venao)
Hotel Piamonte(Las Tablas)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Eco Venao(Playa Venao)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsdirt roadday passgreat beachhot waterlesteremuanimalsfurnituredeerparadisenaturetreespedasioceanhutsspotpanama
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My family, including my husband and me, our two kids ages 4 and 2, my mother-in-law, and my nephew age 13, stayed for two nights at La Playita as part of our two-week vacation in Panama. We go to Panama fairly often since my husband is fron there. This was my fifth time in Panama and my time at La Playita is now one of my most memorable experiences.

La Playita is not a 5-star resort, or even a 4-star resort. For me, it was more like upscale camping. I think La Playita has some better equipped rooms than the ones we stayed in. In fairness, we stayed in one of the rooms in a building that is under construction that once it is completed, I imagine will be one of the best places to stay in Panama. I plan to return someday to find out.

La Playita does not take credit cards, which not only means you have to hoard some cash to make sure you can pay your bill at the end, but also that there is no way to secure your reservation. So even though we had called a couple of times to confirm the availability of 2 air-conditioned rooms, when we showed up at the appointed day, there were no available rooms for us as a group arrived a day earlier than planned and were given our rooms. La Playita staff kindly did find us a room in the building that was under construction. There was no air conditioning, sink, or even a mirror in the room. But when we checked out the view from the balcony overlooking the protected cove that La Playita sits on, and then two of their Macaw parrots fly by, it's was hard to come up with any complaints. A room did open up the next night in which we were able to place our extended family. Besides that little hiccup, La Playita staff were very gracious and accommodating our entire stay and I have no other complaints.

La Playita was excellent for my kids. My two-year old wasn't very fond of the cold showers, but other than that they had an excellent time. The animals on site, particularly a small puppy that was there, provided sufficient distraction to allow us to enjoy a few meals. The food there is good. Although it is true that beer is the only item on the bar menu, La Playita was happy to uncork the wines we brought with us and loan us some wine glasses. At night, La Playita staff turn on the lights at the beach so guests can go down and look at the hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of hermit crabs crawling around. My four-year old loved this.

La Playita is on a protected cove so the water is very calm and swimming is very safe. There are a lot of rocks and some coral around which tropical fish congregate so there is some decent snorkeling right off the beach. Although La Playita has some gear to rent out, I suggest bringing your own if you can. The gear, like the rooms, are in high demand and short supply.

La Playita has a number of bohios set up with picnic benches, chairs, and hammocks where one can hang out and shelter from the sun - something that is very important for me since I am very fair-skinned. I found the beach and these areas to be clean, although some places accessible by walking and off the La Playita propoerty area do have some accumulated trash that have washed up from the ocean as it tends to do on Pedasi beaches. La Playita has showers so you can remove the sand before you go back to your room.

If you want to get your laundry done, get some supplies - like batteries or a flashlight to see the hermit crabs at night - have pancakes for breakfast, rent a surfboard, or have a stiff drink, head over to Playa Venao which is right next door (you have to drive there) and check out the Bar y Restaurante Playa Venao. Right when you turn off the main road there is a small store to the left that has good variety, but not much volume, of things you might need - we got some swim shirts there for our kids. They also do laundry.

To fill up our gas tank we drove to Tonosi, which I think is closer than Pedasi in mileage, but the road was so bad that we might have made better time going back to Pedasi. If you plan to make this trip to Tonosi you might want to make some time to visit Isla Canas which is a place that is famous for nesting turtles. You will pass through the town of Canas and there is a sign to turn off to head to the water and visit the island. It requires a boat, but I understand that locals are usually available to take you there. If you have lots of time, you might consider visiting some of the beaches further south - Cambutal is one. We didn't have the time.

To summarize, if you plan to travel the Azuero on your trip to Panama, do yourself a favor and spend some time at La Playita. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: The group that was given Cabanas 1 & 2, which we understood were supposed to be our rooms seemed very happy and decided to extend their time at La Playita.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stacie71
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We ended up here because there was no other place in that area which had a free room - and the word "resort" did not attract us. However, it is something totally different from a "resort" - a handful of lovely huge rooms with furniture which look like they had been designed by Antoni Gaudí, the Spanish artist. Yes there is no hot water, but what do you need this for? No there is no aircon, but the fan does the job as well. We woke up at six by the noise of the howler monkeys which one could also see in the trees. After that came the macaws, which were flying just past our balcony. The area of the "resort" is a paradise for animals, with so many lovely details that you spot something new every time you look around. If you love nature, then you will find this - paradise. People who run this place are very nice and friendly - don't expect a full-size restaurant, don't expect fancy cocktails - you get your beer, ceviche and can drink the tap water, and you get it all with a broad smile. We spent hours just to admire each piece of furniture in our room, each piece is something very special and hand-crafted.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angelhard
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Let me start off by stating flat out ... if you are looking for a typical 5-star vacation resort, then stay home ... because the La Playita Resort is about enjoying nature, people, and the natural beauty that will surround you.

We arrived at this resort around 4:00 p.m. Both my wife and I looked at each other and thought, "Where they hell has our uncle brought us?" Expecting an upscale resort, our first night was one of extreme disappointment as what others have said is true ... no warm water for taking a shower, no room service, no alcohol (exceptfor beer) and air conditioning in the rooms would have been nice.

BUT the followng morning truely changed everything for us, expecially for me. I was awakened at sunrise to the sounds of roosters crowing, and something I had never heard before ... wild monkeys making loud sounds in the trees above us and all kinds of wild birds and parrots flying and squawking about ... as I opened the door to see what was going on, my entire outlook of this resort changed in an instant. Sunrise was absolutely breathtaking. As I walked about in my pajamas taking pictures, I was greeted by a smiling and frienly staff asking if I wanted some coffee

What is truly 5-star about this place is what you will take home from here ... an appreciation for nature, and a meaning to life itself. No ... the staff are not formally trained in how to properly wait on a table, there might not be an actual bar or room service ... and you will undoubedly have to forego what one would normally expect in a resort ... but fully breathing in everything that naturally surrounds you, one comes away with a new appreciation of life. Staff here are all open, friendly, and sharing ... and they work here 7 days a week, with no vacation time, no minimum wage, no medical insurance, and no expection of anything better ... but they are truely happy, caring, and loving.

We tend to take for granted our modern day world, and I think as people, we fail to grasp a true understanding of how precious life can be. We enter our automobiles and drive to where ever we choose ... we hop on a plane and travel to destinations where we can pampered and spoiled ... and most of us don't even so much as blink an eye as to where our next meal will come from.

To my uncle --- Thank-You for bringing me here ... I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: There is a lack of mosquitos as this is a dry area of Panama, but bring your OFF because they do have chitrasat sunset (no see-ums), and biting flies
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DennisAtkinson
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The place is beautiful! Views are spectacular, love the nature and the food is good. Owner is a great person!

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view with private balconies. Currently they are still under contruction.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We went here for 3 nights to go deep sea fishing. The rooms were large and comfortable with a small ice box, and air conditioning. There was no hot water and no T.V. The dinner menu was quite limited, although tasty. The closest restaurants are about a 30 min. drive. The staff was friendly and accommodating. They are building new rooms overlooking the ocean with hot water and T.V.'s. We would definitely return to stay in one of those.

The wild life is abundant, although the Emu's can be extremely aggressive. One came up to my husband and tried nipping at his shoulder. My husband smacked it's beak with a thin piece of aluminum and the Emu raised it's claws like it was going to strike. As my husband raced around the car to escape those claws, he slipped on the sidewalk and got some nasty gashes on his elbow and knee. The cooks chase the Emu's away, hitting them with a golf club on their backs. Needless to say, they can be intimidating.

The beautiful parrots on the other hand were great. My husband was feeding them crackers out of his hands.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends