“Very below standards of a budget priced motel.”

Super 8 Dubuque/Galena Area
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Racine, Wi
“Very below standards of a budget priced motel.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay. I knew I was in trouble when I first opened the outside door to enter the hallway to go to the room. There was a very unpleasant odor. I was hoping the room would be ok as we had booked a smoking room and I expect a slight smoke smell. I was not prepared for the over whelming odor that hit me when I opened the room door. It was so bad I had to go straight to the window and open it to air out the room. The odor was a very heavy smokey odor. It smelled dirty. There was a large burn hole on one of the bedspeads and the carpet was very dirty looking. The remote to the TV was missing. As it was late when we checked in, I took my complaints to the clerk the next morning. I informed her of the lack of a TV remote, the smelly room, and of the fact that I was afraid to make coffee in the coffee pot as the water resourvour smelled and looked like it had never been cleaned. She informed me she was sorry but they were booked up and could not offer me another room. (No offer to clean/deordorize the room or offer me a clean coffee pot. She did give me a TV remote.) When I asked to speak with the manager on duty, I was told there was no manager on duty that weekend, he would not return until 11 pm the next day, and there was no one else I could speak with. Later that day, we returned to our room, only to find 3 wasps. We checked the window screens for holes but could not find where they were coming from. My husband kiled them. When I went to the front desk to inform them of the wasps and to ask for some Raid to make sure we were rid of any more insects, I was told they had none, not even a fly swat, and again, no offer to go to the room to check out the situation. I again asked to see the manager or someone in charge and was told there was no one. I was given a complaint card to complete and told I could contact the manager via a web site address I was given. I am not a complainer but even a budget motel has to have some standards of upkeep. We do not expect anything fancy when we book a budget priced motel but we do expect a clean room or a least an effort to provide one.

• Liked — There was a shuttle to the casino.
  • Disliked — They were not very accomodating, the rooms and hallways smell, carpets were dirty.
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2008

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at super 8 in dubuque, The room was clean and spacious. We had problem with the keycard but it was fix right away.

Stayed September 2008
illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

This place is clean and a good deal for the price. There are plenty of things to do around the place also. The only drawback I could see was that there were several people hanging around the back of the place and we couldn't see our vehicle from our room. Nothing happened but we were still uneasy about it.

• Liked — convienence to planned activity
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

I had no complaints about the room - it was clean and it looks like the furniture and carpeting had been upgraded fairly recently. However, the public areas could use some work. The lobby/breakfast area is tiny and not very inviting. The corridors were institutional looking. The rear entrance to the motel, which guests use their key card to open, was propped open the night I stayed there by a group of guests (I presume) who were eating and drinking at the picnic tables directly outside the door. When I checked out in the morning, it appeared that someone (not a guest, I presume) was sleeping in his van in the parking lot.

The breakfast was decent - the donuts and sweet rolls appeared to come from a local bakery instead of being prepackaged. For $50 a night (for one person, during the week), I can't complain too much.

• Liked — Value, clean and recently updated room
  • Disliked — Public areas, back door that was not secured
  • Stayed August 2008
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

I am a single woman and a musician. I travel with $10K in gear. The morning after I checked in, my key stopped working. The clerk, who had never seen me before, reswiped my room key without asking my name or asking for any ID whatsoever. I could have become the victim of assault or theft had some unscrupulous person done the same thing. Wyndham hotels, the franchising company would do nothing but defer to the manager who replied with this dubious excuse: "I spoke with the desk clerk and the reason she didn't ask for your name it's (sic) because she knew that the room was booked under your name." Huh? No assurances their lax policy would change. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Dubuque hotels

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

We just stayed at Super 8 in Dubuque and found to be one of the best hotel experience I've had. Right when I walked in the desk clerk was friendly and ask me after I checked Inn if I needed help with my bags since he saw my leg cast. When I got to the room I was pleased with the size and the cleaniness. The Furniture in the room was outdated but in good shape overall. The bed was comfortable. for breakfast they has variety to choose from. We are coming back to Super 8 in Dubuque. kathyM

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Madison,WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

Clean and comfy room and the location is couple of blocks of shopping malls. The mexican restaurant next door had realllly goooood food. Enjoyed and will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple