“Fairfield, not fancy, just fine!”

Fairfield Inn Dubuque
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This was our first experience staying at a Marriott Fairfield. We were heading to Waterloo area but didn't want to go that far after working all day so decided Dubuque would be a great location to stay. Being on the west side, this hotel was located close to a shopping mall, several restaurants, and conveniently located for an "escape" further to the west.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom could have used a little better cleaning and had a few cracks/chips but I'm a picky guy who notices little details.
The staff was VERY friendly. I think it must be a combo of Marriott training and Iowa personalities. We had pleasant interactions from check-in to check-out.
The bottled water at check-in was a nice touch. We needed it at that point as it was late and we had a lot of time in the car, a small thing that impressed us!
We got up late and as we were finishing breakfast the crew started to clean up the breakfast area/items. We were all asked individually if there was anything else we wanted or needed BEFORE they started the process. That kind of service from a small hotel is fantastic! Our first experience was good enough that we'll probably stay at Fairfield brand in the future.

Room Tip: Busy highway nearby, might be good to ask for a room on the south side of the hotel. We didn't n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank pcguy74
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn Dubuque

Reviewed July 14, 2014

There is nothing special about this hotel. The service didn't wow me, and the rooms are very typical of the other 200 hotels I've stayed at in the past two years. The room I stayed in faced the highway, so it was a very loud night. I should of asked to change rooms, but the time I realized how loud it was I was already unpacked. After driving for over 400 miles I didn't feel like moving again. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here. It isn't a bad hotel, it just is ordinary.

Room Tip: Avoid a room facing the very busy highway!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TopekaTony
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear TopekaTony,
Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn Dubuque. We strive to impress every one of our guests, but from the sounds of it we came up short. For that I'm very sorry. I appreciate your feedback as it will allow us to improve our services for future guests. Please allow us another opportunity to impress you on your next trip to the area.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Thanks to Carolyn at the desk for a great experience! The hotel has the amenities a couple traveling on a harley need....and unlike holiday inn....her answer was yes! Hot tub and pool? Yes! Breakfast? Yes! Thanks Carolyn for being so nice and converting us to fairfield customers!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Very surprised by the condition of the hotel room. We were there for 6 days.Mold in stool, and on shower curtain, two spiders in bathroom, both queen beds were terrible as they had dips in them on the side toward the center of the room from guest always sleeping there and very narrow room. With chair for desk in place there was not enough room to walk between it and bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim F
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Jim F,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Fairfield Inn Dubuque. I'm very sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. I will share your concerns with my housekeeping staff to ensure that everything is properly addressed. I hope that if you find yourself back in the area, you will allow us another opportunity to earn your business.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed one night at the Fairfield Inn using our Marriott points as part of the Tour of the Mississippi River Valley bicycle tour. Lobby area was open and contained the breakfast dining facility. The front staff was very friendly and helpful regarding pickup of our luggage the next morning by the tour staff. The room was fairly large with two queen beds, microwave, and small refrigerator. Pool available but no fitness center. Breakfast started at 6 am on Sunday, a nice surprise and great for us to start biking early. The usual fare for a Fairfield, eggs/sausage, waffles, cereal, etc. Many thanks for a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank terryw604
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We ended up having car trouble, and the Fairfield Inn was across the street. When I called at about 11 p.m., I was greeted by a friendly staff member Julie. She saw that we had our granddaughter and pregnancy daughter with us, and got us checked in fast. Likewise, she made sure we had everything we needed. She put us on the second floor away from the noise and bustle of the lobby area. We were pleased with the wonderful Continental breakfast with lots of choices and a large eating area. If we ever pass that way again. . .we would stay at the Fairfield Inn!

Room Tip: Rooms close to lobby might be noisy at night as pool is open till 11, and breakfast starts at 6 a.m.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

First of all, I'm a loyal Marriott Rewards member & will stay at a Marriott whenever possible, but I had second thoughts after checking into this property. I haven't stayed at a Fairfield Inn in over 20 years & probably won't again. The two ladies I encountered while checking in were very polite & professional. I realize the Fairfields are the cheaper ones of the Marriott chain, but after staying in the JW Marriotts, Marriott Resorts,Renaissance & Residence Inns, the Fairfields just don't compare. It was the only Marriott in town, so you make due for one night...plus I got a good rate for government employees.

The room itself was very clean, but really small. It had a nice flat screen TV, refrigerator & microwave. The bathroom was decent size with nice water pressure.

The hotel is close to all kinds of restaurants, gas stations & grocery stores...there is an Olive Garden right across the street.

I would only recommend this Fairfield for one night or if you want to earn points as being a Marriott Rewards member.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Bighouse0820
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Bighouse0820,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Fairfield Inn Dubuque and for being a Marriott Rewards member. I'm so glad to hear that my staff was polite and professional. I'm also glad that you found your room to be clean and our location convenient near restaurants and shopping. Please accept my apologies that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to impress you on your next visit to Dubuque.