“LOVE IT! LOVE IT!”

Hotel Julien Dubuque
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I loved my staty at Hotel Julien. The hotel is beautifully refurbished nice amenities as well as a great staff. The restaurant is a great place to have breakfast. I have stayed here on three occasions while visiting Galena. This is a must stay whenever near or close to Dubuque.

Love it!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Julien Dubuque

Reviewed July 27, 2010

I took a trip to have a couple of days away on my own. Originally I had planned to stay in a bed and breakfast but decided to investigate a hotel just for convenience sake. I realized I didn't want a great deal of interaction for this visit and it seemed right. Location, ambience, etc. and great reviews led to this booking. I booked through Hotels.com for the first time. Upon easy arrival, due to excellent directions from hotel website, I was checked in by a very friendly and welcoming member of staff. My room was lovely, overlooking the riverwalk, but also right at rooftop/air conditioning level. It was to be home for two evenings, so I went to the desk and asked, very politely of course, if by booking through a discount hotel site, the less desirable rooms are assigned. Perhaps with others, but not Hotel Julien. I was promptly switched to another room, this one on the top floor overlooking the river at no additional charge. It was perfect. I settled in straightaway and happily went out to walk Dubuque. It was suggested by hotel desk staff that I venture to the Welcome Center for ideas specific to my taste. What a fantastic way to begin an adventure! I'd visit Dubuque again, stay again at Hotel Julien and certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a lovely, friendly, perfectly situated short term home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank myworldawaits
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I met my cousins, with kids, from all over the country here for a long weekend. I grew up in Dubuque and stayed at the Julien several years ago for a class reunion and it was a dump then. That has changed in the biggest way possible!! From the lobby (made me feel like it was the 1920s with the Billie Holiday playing and ornate decorations) to the well appointed, large rooms, this hotel ranks with any I have stayed in. Even the pool area is classy. Easy to get to casino and riverfront area on foot, many places to eat and drink around the historic area. Hard to believe there is a hotel like this in Dubuque.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My wife and 15 month old happened through Dubuque on our way to the "Dells" in WI. When a neighboring hotel has only smoking only lft ????we headed down the st. where the Julien doesn't allow smoking!
Beautifully renovated Julien was a great room! Breakfast in hotel best food we have had, period. (My wife and I have been fortunate to stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and this one certain stacks up!!!!!)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Let me just begin by explain my first night of sleep here. It did not happen. Why might you ask? Well maybe it could have had to do with the extremely loud music reverberating off the walls from a wedding which lasted until 1:30 in the morning. Then when I called the front desk to complain, they were completely unapologetic and quite rude. Had I known that my room would have been next to the dance floor, there is no chance that I would have stayed here. I was quite shocked as to the lack of empathy to my situation.

Part of the problem was the fact that I was staying a second night. So I go to the front desk the next day to complain about the previous night. The set me up in a different room that was supposedly 'away from the sound.' I am looking forward to at least one good night of rest here. Well, that did not happen as the freight trains honked their horns outside of my room all night. Really? Apparently there is no escape from the noise here.

So now that the sound is out of the way, let's discuss the sleeping accommodations. Possible the WORST pillows I have ever slept on in my life. My neck was sore for the following week. Can you not spend a little money and purchase some decent pillows? The pillows were cheap and uncomfortable, as was the bed.

So please, save your money and check into the Motel 6....it's a better value.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 09uasf
Hotel_Julien, Front Office Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

It is our intention at Hotel Julien Dubuque that each of our guest's experiences a luxurious and peaceful stay while they are with us. When situations occur, we do our best to rectify them as quickly as possible and make amends for any inconvenience that our guests may experience. Our staff members are concerned with the care and comfort of each of or guests in all situations. Once available, we were able to offer upgraded accommodations for the remainder of the stay. We only wish the beautiful suite provided would have offered the serenity and rest you were seeking. We do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future as we would love for you to experience the true enjoyment of a stay at Hotel Julien Dubuque.

Reviewed May 26, 2010

Very nice hotel in downtown, our son will be going to school in Dubuque and when we visit we will stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank darkside1649
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is possibly the most beautiful hotel that I have ever stayed in! Everything about it from the outside to the inside is fabulous! It has been beautifully restored. We stayed in a King Deluxe Suite and it was huge. The sitting area had a lovely couch, chairs, a large desk, and a flat screen TV. The furnishings including the drapes, lamps, and bedcover were beautiful. There was a Keurig coffeemaker on the coffee bar and soft robes in the closet. The large bath featured granite countertops with two sinks, huge thick towels and a large shower. The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. The only bad experience we had did not have anything to do with Hotel Julien. The lady at the front desk told us some places close by to eat. She recommended Star Restaurant and Brewery and L-May since we asked for some place more casual. We arrived at Star and they asked if we would like to eat inside or outside. Since it was a beautiful day, we chose outside. The hostess told us to just go outside and seat ourselves, which we did. Well, we waited and waited while the waiters just walked right by our table and ignored us. After waiting 15 minutes with no service, another couple walked in and sat down. Within a few minutes, they were waited on. Since it had been 20 minutes and still no service, we got up and left. We then decided to try L-May, but when we arrived it was closed (they are only open certain days of the week). We were standing outside L-May when a nice young man walked by and we asked him if he knew of a good restaurant close by. He told us to go to Mario's Italian Reataurant. We are so glad we did. The food was wonderful. It is a family owned restaurant and has been there a long time. The waitresses were very nice and Mario is there to greet you. I highly recommend it! I also highly recommend Hotel Julien!!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple