“nice view of the mississippi river”

Hotel Julien Dubuque
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stay at the Julien hotel several nights each year. great service and very relaxing rooms. Caroline's restaurant has a nice selection on the menu and if your a breakfast lover you won't be disappointed The hotel is close to many fun things to see and do in Dubuque with plenty of parking. After your stay you will wish you had stayed for another night!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Rod R,

It is such a pleasure to read of a returning guest's comments regarding their stays at Hotel Julien Dubuque. Thank you for recognizing the staff's service within the hotel. They will be so very appreciative of your kind and positive comments.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Julien Dubuque

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed at the Julien a couple weeks ago and were absolutely shocked at how amazing our room was. We had a king jacuzzi suite and it was the best hotel room I have ever been in. I wish we could go there more often. I have stayed in the smaller rooms and they are awesome as well but the suite was huge. I want to go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Heather R,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Julien Dubuque. Glad that you were able to enjoy the whirlpool suite. Next time consider a premier king suite, as that is an apartment for all intentional purposes.

The suite has a private bedroom, full kitchen with refrigerator, dishwasher, stove and microwave with a full living room with pull out couch for family or friends to enjoy the night as well.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We came to Dubuque for a fun weekend getaway of skiing and shopping with the family, so we decided to give Hotel Julien a try. It didn't let us down! The hotel alone is worth seeing for it's architecture and wood work. Honestly I think this is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. The rooms are gorgeous - updated and modern but still have the historical feel of Dubuque. We had a premier suite with a beautiful view of the river. This room included a fully supplied kitchen, living room with fold out couch and separate bedroom, which was nice because we had the kids. All were clean and very well maintained. Also the bed was amazingly comfortable, which I am very picky about. We enjoyed the flexibility of being able to cook in our room but we also used their room service for breakfast. The food was delivered to our room very quickly and hit the spot :) It's also pretty reasonably priced as far as room service goes. Overall we loved every minute of our stay and will most definitely be back again. Maybe next time without the kids, for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Be careful with the mini bar items in the premier suites if you bring kids. They look like "fr...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Angel S,

Thank you for the many kind comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Julien Dubuque. It is a pleasure to read of your saying "Honestly believe this may be one of the best hotels ever staying in", that was very gracious of you.

We look forward to your next stay, whether it is your romantic weekend or another weekend of skiing and shopping.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Recently, I stayed at Hotel Julien for two weeks for work. Because I stayed over the Valentine's day weekend, I had to change rooms due to the hotel being completely booked. It was not a big deal, I packed up my things and took them to the front desk early Friday morning before work. They assured me that when my new room was available they would make sure my luggage was taken up. Friday evening when I arrived back from work there was a bit of confusion and they were not sure exactly sure where my luggage was located. Of course this was very upsetting to me as I had two weeks worth of business clothes and a brand new lap top computer. The manager assured me that everything would be fine. After about 20 minutes, my luggage was located. The manager informed me that she would be upgrading my room on Sunday to a Premier Suite for the rest of my stay because of the issue. As I was settling into my room, one of the front desk girls delivered a hand written Valentine's Day card and a $20 gift certificate for dinner at Caroline's. I can't say enough about the customer service that I recieved over my two week stay. Everytime I walked pasted the front desk a few of the front desk clerks always addressed me by my first name. It was very nice to feel so welcome. The service of several of the bartenders in the Riverboat Lounge was over the top. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear rea1976,

Thank you for such kind words regarding your recent extended stay at Hotel Julien. Our apology for the confusion regarding your luggage; with the change in rooms, there was a period that we needed to verify that the luggage was moved.

The staff will be so pleased to read of your recognizing their service. They work tirelessly hard to provide the best in hospitality in the Midwest.

We look forward to your next stay whether it is long or short.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed one night in a king jacuzzi suite, and it was perfect. We loved the beautiful room, from the luxurious bed to the amazing jacuzzi tub and everything in between. We ordered room service from Caroline's for breakfast, and it was a wonderful meal. The view was magnificent - we could see the Mississippi River bridge from one side and a beautiful church from the other side. One of our favorite Dubuque/Galena restaurants is Vinny Vanucchi's, and it was only one block away. We already miss this lovely room (and the quiet that comes when two little ones are absent). I hope we can return soon!

Room Tip: We were told that all kind jacuzzi suites are corner rooms, but our view from the SW corner was supe...

Dear musicgal21,

Glad to read of your get away to one of the large jacuzzi suites. We are sure Vinny's will be so appreciative of your "plug" for their food and service. Thanks for recognizing room service from Caroline's as well!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Second trip to the Hotel Julien and stayed again in the Al Capone Suite. Great place for a romantic getaway. Highly recommend it. It is nostalgic, and since the remodel the wood working alone is worth seeing in person. Excellent suite for the two of us to "get lost" in. Oh yeah.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but if you just want that large suite so the two of you can get lost, the Al Cap...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HJDMananger, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear George M,

Glad to read of your return to "get lost" in the Capone Suite! It is always music to our ears to see of a returning guest's enjoyment of the hotel.

Thank you for such kind words.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Julien, looking for a nice quiet weekend. Dubuque, by the way, is a real up and coming city, with the Mississippi Museum a can't miss feature.

I should start off by saying that we really like restored old hotels; you can't beat the character when it is done right. For example, our favourite hotel in Iowa is the Park Inn in Mason City, a Frank Lloyd Wright creation that has been wonderfully restored.

But I digress. The Julien is named after the founder of the city, Julien Dubuque. And it is a very nice looking building in the city core. The front lobby is very nicely done and spacious. Our biggest concern is the price. The room rate, for a double, was $170 per night! A bit pricey for a city of about 75,000 people - where there are lots of chains charging $80 to $125. The room was small, which is not unusual for refurbished old hotels, but the bathroom had only a shower and not a bath. They advertize a bar, but it is more of a night club and much to noisy to enjoy a quiet glass of wine at the end of the day. The front desk clings desperately to "policy" and accommodating special circumstances was far more dramatic than it needed to be. Front desk staff otherwise were fine.

With so many other options in Dubuque, I doubt we will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chillin51

Dear chillin51,

Glad to read of your enjoyment of the restored historic hotels; it is very few that are built these days like these old grand dames as Hotel Julien Dubuque.

There are some guest rooms that are designed with baths. On your next visit, please inquire for that amenity. We will do out best to accomodate.