“Excellent place to stay in Dubuque”

Hotel Julien Dubuque
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We recently went to Dubuque for a weekend getaway. I researched on-line hotels in the area and was intrigued by the reviews of the Hotel Julien. The hotel had recently undergone a $30 million dollar renovation and I must say they did an excellent job.
The facade of the hotel is stately and the off street parking lot made it easy to take our time unloading the kids and luggage without dodging traffic. Once inside we were greeted by a nice desk clerk that had us registered and on our way in a flash.
The lobby was beautiful and the staircase to the 2nd floor was equally splendid. The upper level is completely open to the 1st floor and had numerous seating areas for our family to sit and relax.
Our room was decent sized for an executive class accomodation with 2 queen beds, flat screen TV, mini frig, and wonderful bathroom with a large glass shower. All of the appointments in the room were beautifully coordinated and made the place look great.
Of course the kids wanted to hit the pool so off we went. Its located on the bottom floor right next to the fitness center. There was also a nice sized whirlpool to relax in while the kids swam around. There is an outdoor patio right thru the glass doors from the pool but since its winter here in the midwest we didn't venture out.
We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back several more times.

Room Tip: Caroline's restaurant is located inside the hotel and is a nice place to eat. There are several...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,403)

Reviewed January 12, 2012

The room was clean & beautiful...the hotel has been very tastefully and expensively restored. The room wasn't large but again, very nice. You feel like your in a suite. Front desk staff were friendly & efficient. The on site restaurant had wonderful service....both front of house & back. I had inquired about a balsamic type sauce for a steak and while they didnt have it, they faked their way through something that worked well and that I enjoyed. They didnt have to. Downside is its expensive.
The bed felt super comfortable when we first went to sleep but both of us woke up the next day barely able to walk & aching bad. B-A-D. I know its a personal thing...but when you pay a hefty room rate it would be nice to have a good nights rest before having to travel on...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed here with my children a couple of months ago. The rooms were great. You could live here if you wanted to. The rooms looked like they were restored from the 1940s. The hotel has a nice pool and spa area. There is a full service salon in the basement level. The overall hotel is very nice and perfect for parties, honeymoons, receptions, etc. The hotel restauarant wa not too bad either. You are walking distance from the downtown area filled with taverns and restaurants. The only issues is parking. The lot is usually packed on weekends and should be updated. if you are planning a get away I would do so during the weekday. The place gets pretty busy on weekends.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had our daughters wedding rehearsel dinner, ceremony and reception on the 15th and 16th of December, 2011. We rented the premier suite so family would have a central location for snacking between photos and a general meeting area. Lots of room and they are willing to work with you as far as early check-in and anything wlse you may need.The beds and linens were luxurious. The entire wedding party had their services done at Petosa Spa and were thrilled.
I can't say enough about the beauty of the Hotel with the balcony, staircase, and of course the Grand Ballroom. The wait staff were there to make sure we had everything we needed.The food was delicious and very tasty. Many compliments and several people commented it was one of the nicest receptions they had been to.
I have had 3 daughters get married, and I will say without a doubt that this was our best and most satisfying wedding. From the rehearsel right down to the breakfast the day after the wedding, the Hotel Julien is a one stop wedding venue.

Room Tip: higher floors have less trian noise
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This is a beautifully remodeled old hotel located in an area of downtown that has a wide variety of dining and entertainment options. The Smithsonian accredited Americas' River museum, the Casino, the River walk, the fourth street elevator [in season] theater and civic center [look up events through the Dubuque chamber] The hotel has a lovely restaurant if you don't want to leave the hotel, but there are many very near worth a try. The entertainment at the hotel is minimal, but the German Bank restaurant just down the street and the Busted Lift pub usually have live music and they are all located within 1 block of the hotel. I am a local and have not stayed IN the hotel so cannot speak for anything but the location and decor.

Room Tip: There is the Al Capone suite which would host a larger group or if you just want to splurge. Quite...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed at the Julien many years ago before the renovations and had the opportunity to stay there again over Thanksgiving. All I can say is, WOW, what a difference. My family and I had two adjoining rooms - 3 adults and 3 children (5 year old triplets). As a mom, I can vouch for this as a kid friendly hotel! The decor, the attention to detail, the courtesy of the entire staff, the cleanliness, the awesome bathrooms, the comfy beds, the Kuerig coffee maker, the abundant towels, everything about this stay was perfect for us. Within the hotel was an indoor swimming pool, fitness center, spa, restaurant and lounge so you didn't have to even leave if you didn't want to. All of our requests were treated with the utmost respect and the entire staff did everything they could to make us feel at home and welcome....we even got to check in 2 hours early so that we didn't have to sit and wait with our luggage at our feet. Check out was effortless. From start to finish it was a great experience for me and my family.

Room Tip: Our adjoining rooms gave us one king size bed, two queen size beds and obviously 2 bathrooms. For 3...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Ok, first of all, I almost never leave near perfect ratings for hotels. But on this occasion I felt I'd be doing this hotel a great disservice if I didn't give them a 4.65/5 rating. This hotel delivered! I mean from reserving the room to the moment we got there it was a great experience. So off to the review:

Check-in
Super smooth and we even checked in at noon. I found the staff to be professional, knowledgeable and friendly.

The Room
One word "WOW!" That's it, just WOW! I mean there are so many things going for this location and room that it makes it worth the trip and expense to say at this hotel. Room was cleaned impeccably, even did a white glove test and they passed. However there was one item that the hotel needs to address. Grout in the shower. This is often missed by so many hotels but it must makes you feel disgusting taking a shower while looking at mold and mildew in the grout lines between the tiles. This is an easy fix, treat it with a dark colored epoxy sealant. I think if I had any complaints this would be it.

Rumble & Tumble
Ok, I think it's only fair to note that there is a train that runs right by the hotel Julien. We didn't notice it often, but on occasion the windows rumbled from the passing train. I would say it was slightly irritating but nothing siginificant.

Snack bar..
This room comes stacked with all of the temptations of your traditional vending machine, but at your fingertips for a pricey $2.00 a pop for snacks! Watch those hidden expenses and make sure to call before consuming anything in the room.

Check-out
We used the express checkout and everything was as it should be.

Return Factor
Extremely HIGH! We will return to this hotel as we had an overall lovely experience at Hotel Julien. I don't this I'll stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family