“Modern & convenient”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Ames, Iowa
“Modern & convenient”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding & had a great experience. A friendly & personable staff had no problem answering any questions I had. The rooms were very clean including a great bathroom & comfortable beds. There room service was prompt. I forgot toothpaste, was in a rush to leave for the wedding & the staff had me a tube within 2 minutes of calling the desk. I could tell this hotel had been recently renovated & looked great. Located downtown this hotel was at the heart of Dubuque and within walking distance, if not a short drive to anything you may want to do. This hotel exuded a vibrant feel & definitely enhanced my stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting great service, affordable rates & a modern feel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GTM86
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We are ecstatic that you had a great experience at our hotel and thank you for the wonderful comments. We hope all of our guests will feel the same towards our new renovations. The Holiday Inn Dubuque is very proud of the new renovations and take pride in our guest service. We will share your comments with our staff members and renovation team. We look forward to servicing you once again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chicago
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel room had a great lay out and wonderful extras like a fridge. The bathroom was a great size. Clean room and very comfortable beds. NIce closet space. Good decent breakfast included. We really liked the pool and hot tub whirl pool .
very nice and relaxing after a long day of walking around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank javyjoy
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed December 5, 2012

If you read down the chain, you will see that I wrote a scathing (and rightfully so) review of this place recently. I stayed in Dubuque for a week and ended up checking out and finding a different place because of the way I was treated by staff and the lack of attention paid to me. IHG's line did their best to ease my concerns as I travel exclusively IHG on business when available, but I still left steamed.
I decided to give this place one last shot and stayed there last week. They didn't do anything spectacular, but it was an overall enjoyable stay. The rooms were fine, and this time, were cleaned on time. They give you a $10 credit toward drinks/food each day if you're a platinum member of Priority Club, which was nice. I would rather they open up the concierge room again for business travelers/platinum members, but this was an OK substitute.
The manager's reception on Wednesday (free booze from 5-6 pm) was nice, to boot. Young female bartender in the main lounge went out of her way to make sure I was having an OK stay after telling her my horror story from last time.
Only truly puzzling thing - why does the bar close at 9 pm on Sunday night? There was a Packers game on that night and a lot of people had to leave at halftime because of it. Weird.

Room Tip: 5th floor is keycard only and quietest. Might be reserved for platinum but good idea to ask if you w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dubuque for the 2012 DockDogs World Championships. Despite the large number of guests and dogs, we found the hotel and all of it's staff to be very accommodating. Everyone was friendly and pleasant. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. It was very conveniently located across from the competition site, but also within easy walking distance of several area shops and restaurants. In addition, they had a free shuttle to take you over to the Grand Harbor restaurant area which a lot of folks appreciated. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: First floor for our event weekend was very noisy. We were on the second floor and all was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Merrylegs_1,

Thank you for the comments posted on the Trip Advisor website. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and downtown Dubuque. We enjoyed having the 2012 Dock Dogs World Championships here in Dubuque and look forward to the Championship's return in November 2013. Best of luck with the 2013 Dock Dog competitions.

Toronto
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The beds were very comfortable, and the staff was very helpful.
Such a clean hotel and a very convience location!
Even with all the dogs in the hotel, it was still a quiet hotel.

Would've liked that we had a fridge...

Stayed here for the 2012 Dockdogs world championships...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Samsmomie20,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent trip to Dubuque. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay during the Dock Dogs World Championship. We work hard to create an enjoyable stay for all of our guests. We look forward to your return next year for the Dock Dogs World Championships 2013. We hope you have a very successful year at the Dock Dogs competitions.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We booked the room well in advance for a wedding. The hotel was hosting the wedding, so they knew WELL in advance how many customers they would have. We arrived at 3 PM, check in time. We were told that they had no rooms ready, they "had a full house the night before and we're behind in cleaning the rooms". Wedding started at 4 PM, 4 blocks away. We needed to get ready for the wedding after traveling 3 1/2 hours. I complained loudly, even though I was told there was no manager on duty that day. We were offered two free drinks at the bar and free buffet breakfast in the morning. Big deal, that did NOT make up for the fact that the Grandmother of the bride MISSED the wedding!!!! Try to explain that to an 81 year old woman who was soooo upset that she had no time to get ready and get to the wedding. We got one room at 3:45, not enough time or space in the tiny rooms for 4 people to change and get ready for a wedding, then walk 4 blocks to get there. Especially an 81 year old and another person in the party in a cast boot! Our other room was not ready until 5:30 PM, and that was only after multiple trips to the front desk!!! Then, in the second room there was what looked like, well, feces, on the bed cover. I took several pictures for management to see, if they really care, which I really don't think they do! We paid full price for both rooms even though we did not get the rooms until late! Absolutely disgusted with this Holiday Inn experience!!! I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Traveler102712
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Traveler102712,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We are interested in hearing not only the compliments but also the things that could have been done better.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting into your rooms, especially the second room. My understanding is that other rooms were available but you wanted the second room to be close to your first room. That is understandable. Better communication on our part could have expedited your getting the second room.

I would definitely like to see any pictures you have so that I can utilize them as a training tool with our housekeeping staff. Also, if you could contact me direct we can discuss what we can do to make amends for your experience.

Again, thank you for your comments. I look forward to hearing from you.

Viroqua, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is a run down hotel run by staff with bad attitudes. The rooms are so small they are claustrophobic. We were going to a concert at a nearby casino and got there at 3PM to relax in the hot tub and have a few drinks before dinner. The hot tub was ice cold. The person at the front desk was unapologetic and said it would be repaired in a couple hours. The next morning I went to use it again and this time it was scalding hot. It had to be 120 degrees plus. I couldn't keep my foot in it for more than a couple second. The person at the front desk (different person) was unsympathetic, laughed, and told me to dump some ice in it. I wasn't in the mood for her humor. She called our room around 11AM and offered us breakfast after finding out the temperature of the hot tub was unlawful. Her attitude and the condition of this property turned me off.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zen H
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Zen H,

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay in Dubuque. Feedback from our guests helps us identify what we do well and on what we need to improve.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered not only with the temperature of the hot tub but also with the front desk staff. I can certainly understand your frustration with both. We take readings of the temperature and chemicals of the hot tub every two hours to ensure that the pool is safe. After being notified by you of the very hot water, our maintenance person checked the temperature and the system and found the temp to be 111 degrees, caused by a valve that had been closed. I have followed up with both the Maintenance Manager and with the Front Desk Manager, sharing your comments and my thoughts with them.

I would appreciate you contacting me so that we can make amends for the problems you experienced. I left you a voice mail message on the 29th and I look forward to speaking with you.

Again, thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies for a less than pleasant experience.