“Staff to the rescue” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Chicago, Illinois
“Staff to the rescue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here for one night. I was in town for a funeral. I have a rather large family and after the wake some (25) of us decided we wanted something to eat. We called the hotel from the funeral home to make sure the kitchen was still open and could accommodate us.

Arriving at the hotel we entered the restaurant and took the staff apparently by surprise. They were not aware of our call. The only person there was a bartender who also waitresses. Since she was alone we told her we could go somewhere else. She said no it would be fine.

Koodos to her ... She rallied the troops and got several people to help her and accommodated almost 30 of us with no notice at all. She was awesome and gets high marks in my book.

The hotel overall is a bit dated as other people have said. However, the room was comfortable and quiet. There was construction going on so I assume they are starting the process of updating the hotel.

I would definitely give this place another stay next time I am in town.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel had more positives then negatives but there were some negatives. I'll begin with the positives. The room was nice and cozy. The bathroom was big and had many towels. The shower head was nice and easy to maneuver. The beds were very comfortable (we had doubles) and the TV was new and a flat screen! We had a view of the bluffs which was nice. The desk area was good and plenty of light. The location was the best. All the shopping was located around the hotel (4 block radius) and 2 blocks from the elevator to the top of the bluff. I can't comment on the hotel eatery because we did not dine at this establishment. Now the negs. The elevators were old and slow. The staff elevator was for the guests too. The bathroom shower was too short. The window was broken and could not open. The breakfast was not free and costs for a family of 3 (Two adults and a teen) 30 dollars minimum. The parking garage was full due to a wedding, but we got lucky and found somebody leaving and stalked them to their car. We could here children running and screaming up and down the hallway at 7am which was not the hotels fault but a nuisance. The front staff were not the sweetest apples on the tree.There was not a line and they were rushing us. The other staff were nice. The last annoyence was the fact the shower did not drain well and it felt like a shower/bath combo. We paid about 139 dollars and I think it was not worth that price (There were many weddings which raised the price) usually the price is about 100 and I would agree with that price but anything above you should go down the street and pay 149 for the same room at the Hotel Julien. But nice hotel!

Room Tip: Try getting an even numbered room, they have views of the river as opposed to the odd numbers that h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank moscow201x
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Thus hotel is old and well maintained. The service provided is excellent. It is located downtown near shopping and restaurants. They offer a shuttle service and have a good sports bar at location. The pool and exercise areas are well maintained and well stocked with towels etc.

• Stayed August 2012
Davenport, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I'm still shaking in anger about this one, so forgive me.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Dubuque, IA beause I try as best as I can to stay at IHG properties when I travel frequently for my work with John Deere. With the remote/rural locations I often make my way to, IHG doesn't always have an option - so when I was asked to go to Dubuque and found a Holiday Inn within distance of work, I was excited.

It was by far the most horrible experience I've ever had at one IHG's properties.

I checked in Sunday evening for a three night stay and the check in process went smoothly - the male front desk attendent was very well mannered, accomodating, etc.

The hotel itself is dirty - the hallways smell like a pack of menthols, carpet is dirty, stained and ripped, the spa was "under repair," and the overall atmosphere was very drab. I can handle that, though, as I am only looking for a cozy bed to conk out in after working on a factory floor for 12 hours. The beds were nice.

I have no complaints about the service - until I came home from a 13 hour day on Tuesday, at 5:30 PM, to find my room wasn't cleaned. I assumed this had to be an error - did I put down the wrong check out date? I went to the front desk on my way to grab dinner and asked the manager on duty. Her response?

"Oh, we're just really busy."

What? You're busy? Too busy to clean the rooms? It's 5:30 at night. Do you not expect people to, uh, want to be in their rooms around that time?

"Would you just like us to send some towels up?"

I politely told her no, to forget it, and to please not have anyone clean my room as I don't want a maid in there cleaning when I return from dinner. Low and behold, I returned from dinner at 6:30 PM and there was a maid in my door, cleaning away as a liesurely pace.

In what world is it acceptable to not have rooms cleaned - or, in this case, have a maid cleaning occupied rooms at 6:30 PM? Not in a hotel chain that supposedly caters to people who travel for business.

I then went to the front desk to confront the manager - and was told, again, that there was nothing she could do. That there was a "concert at the casino" and I would have to "deal with it." She told me I never told her my room number - which is an absolute farce, because she looked up my room in her computer to see if it had been cleaned. I immediately checked out, and she did nothing to stop me. She apologized - but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a hallow apology. She didn't care. She was going to re-rent the room because of the "concert at the casino," I'm sure.

This all could have been quelled with a simple "I'm sorry, Mike, why don't you go five feet to our bar, have dinner on us, and we'll get someone to clean your room right away?" Instead, I was met with "We're too busy to accomodate a paying guest."

Never again. The Hotel Julien is a block away and is 4000x better than this horribly managed menthol dump.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mike S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Mike S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a block of rooms reserved for a wedding. When we arrived we were surprised that all of our party was dispersed over 5 floors. The front desk was less than accommodating wh n we asked to be place in an joining rooms with our party. The fact that this hotel claims to have a pool/spa is hilarious. The spa is so small that it fits 2 people max, 1 it you are over 200lbs. The pool is not much bigger. The location of this hotel is perfect. It needs a face lift throughout to compliment the face lift Dubuque has given to its downtown. The rooms are okay but also need new paint, a/c units and carpet. We stayed on the 5th floor but rooms I saw on the 1st & 3rd floors were not much better.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Jmuscle:

Thank you for the submitted review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque. Feedback from our guests helps us determine what we do well and on what we need to improve. We do our best to accommodate requests for rooms being close by, but we cannot always meet those requests. We assign rooms at check-in based on rooms that are ready to be rented. Blocking rooms at the beginning of the day would create an issue for those trying to check in early, as we may have clean rooms available but blocked for someone else. Again, we do our best to accommodate requests. The makeover you indicate is needed is actually starting towards the end of August or the first part of September this year. We will be renovating all of the first floor public space. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit to see the changes. Again, thank you for your comments.

Norm Granback
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Our stop here was a last minute decision (no planning). After driving all day we stopped here and got their last room for the night. A handicapped smoking room (that is what I said). I need to say that the staff in the bar/grill were just great and the food was very good. The location was also very good. The residual smoke in our room was not bad but the room was not very clean, found some mold in the shower and a long hair on the bathroom floor. The window was dirty. Our room key worked sometimes and didn't work other times. I took a key to the front desk when it wasn't working and got the lecture about where to store the key. The new key they gave me worked once before it stopped working all the time. The other key worked sometimes also. On Sunday morning the housekeeping crew started knocking on doors to clean at 9:30am and seemed surprised that people were not out of their rooms. Also noticed that we were being charged more than the posted price on the back of the hotel door. When I went to check out I told them again about the problems with the keys working inconsistently and again got the lecture about where not to carry the key. (They then said they would nootify maintenance to check the lock). I also said I noticed that the rate posted on the back of our door was less than what we were being charged. I was asked if that was the minumum or maximum rate posted. I said I didn't know it was their sign. The manager finally told me that rates could go up with special events. I asked then that since our room was the last one they could charge more and she said "Yes".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mj_vacation:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque.
We strive to a quality experience for all of our guests, and it is apparent that we succeeded in the Rivercity Beefstro Bar & Grille but missed that mark with your room accommodations. Your comments concerning the housekeeping issues have been addressed with our housekeeping staff for correction. While the electronic key cards can be problematic, they are generally very reliable. We did have our maintenance staff make some adjustments to the lock. As we have only one smoking handicap room, we were able to identify the room you are speaking of. Again, thank you for your comments. We would look forward to being able to accommodate you in future trips to Dubuque, with a much improved overall experience.

Norm Granback
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Came to Dubuque for a golf weekend and had the worst hotel experience. The hotel was shabby and smelled funny . The room was decent at first, but things got worse as the night went on. Our room was next to a room with a jacuzzi. The jacuzzi must have been up against the wall by our headboard. The noise from the room next door and the vibrations were intolerable. We called to the front desk to request a different room. We were told there the hotel was full. We packed up and went to the front desk to inform them we were leaving. In a matter of minutes, rooms "magically" appeared. Having to switch rooms at 11:00 pm is less than convenient. Earlier in the evening, we tried to use the jacuzzi in the pool area but it stopped working. We had to find someone to see if they could fix it. I spent this much on a room at The Palmer House in Chicago. This would be a hotel that I would never recommend.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheri J
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Sheri J,

We appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry that we did not provide you with a more positive experience. Since we can run a report on room moves, we are checking for rooms that guests moved from which were next to whirlpool rooms. I am pretty sure that we can identify the room you were in and will have our maintenance manager see if there is some reason why it was so noisy in the room next door. As we have not had this problem previously, I believe that the whirlpool may need some adjustment. I will speak with the desk person on duty and let them know that they should have researched our availability a little more thoroughly when you first called. Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and thank you for providing us with feedback.