“A good place to stay”
Review of Days Inn Dubuque

Days Inn Dubuque
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I have family in Dubuque and visit 8-10 times a year. While Days Inn is not my first choice, rooms in Dubuque (especially weekends) go fast, but i can generally find a room here on short notice. The price is very resonable and rooms are always clean and comfortable. Wifi is available and works well and rooms are equipped with microwave and refrigerator. Nice outdoor pool area near the bar is a nice place to relax during summertime (unless the fish flies are out. then taks cover!!!)

It is an older facility and can be noisy. I always request a room on the "bluff side" which doesn't get the highway sounds, but you can clearly hear people walking by and the tvs in other rooms.
Heating/AC units help with this somewhat.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2014

So glad to hear you had a good stay! The Days Inn could be your first choice next time, now knowing the rooms are reasonably priced and always clean and comfortable. Although we are an older facility, we offer many (sometimes more) ammenities than the other newer hotels in town and are conveniently located in Dubuque without the high price. We hope you stay with us again!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I love the electric palm trees at the entrance. Gives such a classy feel to this rather old, but well maintained hotel. Very conveniently located and reasonably priced, this hotel is a hidden gem. Much more upscale than the other chain hotels available in the area. My room was very chilly, good A/C, clean and well maintained, with a new TV and even a small refrigerator.

My one big complaint was the bar and lounge. Both bartenders on the nights I stayed wished to close early. Both allowed patrons to buy to go drinks to take back to their rooms, but on my second night, the young girl had 20 or so hotel guests in the lounge and insisted on closing up early, saying she just did not want to be there. This place could be a gold mine if run correctly, as the venue just beckons for the passerby to stop and check it out. This is an easy fix by the hotel, fire the entire bar staff and get a decent bar manager to promote and run the place.

Room Tip: Do not beware the smoking rooms! Mine was on the first floor and really did not smell bad, nor look...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your review! The palm trees give off a nice ambiance at night in our courtyard area as well as help find our entrance if you are new to the area. I am sorry for your experience in the lounge. We typically close at midnight during the week, but we leave it to the discretion of the bartender to stay open later. I agree 100%, if there are 15-20 people still drinking, it is worth staying open. Please know this has been addressed with all of our bar staff. Thank you again, we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Brown water came out of the shower. I think that's all that needs to be said, but I'll hit on other areas. The room was run down (the kind you keep you shoes or socks on in at all times). The railing outside is under construction so plywood was reinforcing it, which didn't appear very safe. It was very loud at night. I woke up several times and I'm typically not a light sleeper. I heard people talking outside at 2am, someone coughing in the room next door (so loud my friend thought it was me coughing), a phone ring next door and then birds chirping at 6am.

There were some pros - it was cheap, had a good location to get to downtown Dubuque and free breakfast. There's also a shuttle to the casino (we didn't use, but would be convenient).

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emily M

I hope you reported the brown water to our manager or front desk staff on duty. I have never heard of this happening, however we would have taken care of this immediately. The railing construction is now complete and modernly updated. The railing was only under construction for approx. 1.5 month and we did not use the rooms in that area during that time. I am glad our motel was affordable and conveniently located for your travels. Thank you for staying.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Reasonably priced but needs lots of updates. Should have stayed somewhere else but we were tired and hungry and needed to sleep. TV wouldn't work so had to walk to desk for batteries because clerk was only one there, then found out the TV was unplugged in back of TV. Desk clerks were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear our desk clerks were friendly and professional.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I wish we had spent the extra money to stay somewhere else. This is not the kind of hotel you plan ahead to stay at, more like one you stop at when you are too tired to keep driving and you are desperate. First, we could hardly figure out how to get in the driveway, it is horribly marked! We checked in during the day and then came back after dark and if we didn't know where the driveway was, we never would've found it in the dark. I'm glad we saw it for the first time in the daylight, but it was scary! It would've been worse at night! We waited in a long line at check-in, even with two clerks working. When we got to our room, I guess I had erased the room keys by putting them by my cell phone or something went wrong when they programmed them because after hauling our luggage up the stinky, dark stairwell to the second floor, neither key worked. I got lucky that a housekeeper was downstairs and let us in. Inside the room wasn't as bad as the outside of the building made us think it would be, otherwise we would've left and stayed somewhere else somehow, even if we had to lose out on the money! The beds were clean and comfortable, as were the pillows, but the rooms are outdated and the floors are grungy. The design of this hotel is just terrible, I don't know that they can possibly fix it without tearing it down and starting over. You enter all the rooms from a door outside, which is usually a sign of an old, cheap hotel. If the stairwell to the second floor were outside, it might actually be better than the enclosed stairwell we went up, it was the scariest part of the hotel! Anyway, back to front desk I had to go to get new keys made...I got back in the line...behind the same people who checked in ahead of me in the line before...they were assigned a room that already had someone in it! I didn't have much faith in the front desk staff and didn't want to wait in line anymore, so we went to our evening activity and came back later to have the keys re-done. We spent our night there and left first thing in the morning, we didn't even want to try the breakfast. The place just creeped us out and we want to warn you not to make the same mistake we did!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Tina Y
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

We are sorry your stay was not what you expected. We do have signage at the top of the entrance coming into the hotel, however I can see how this can be overlooked especially if its your first time in the area. I get lost or miss a turn almost everywhere I go! Most guests appreciate the outside entrances, allowing them easier access to get to their rooms and being able to step outside without leaving their room area. This also makes for a much safer emergency exit if needed. I also hope you expressed your concerns to our General Manager. On a bright note, I am glad to hear the room was clean and comfortable!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

... but the hotel was in the middle of major construction. [6/13/14] The upper balcony railing of building 3 was supported by plywood. Which isn't such a big deal until we realized that the end staircase was also closed off, and that meant a very VERY long walk from the middle staircase to the next-to-last room at the end of the building. Check-in/out was easy. We didn't partake of any of the facilities or breakfast, although I peeked in the room and it was open/spacious. WiFi connection and cell service was abysmal. They are in need of a sprucing up inside the building as well. I will say that the staff was friendly and very helpful. It was also helpful that they've posted signage that you can see from the Route 20 because GPS wanted to take us a completely different route. If you're in need of a quick over-night stay and you don't mind being 'off-the-grid', it's worth the price for the pool.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your stay! Our construction is now complete and all stairwells are open for use. There were safety reasons the one stairwell was off limits during the renovation. I am sorry if this was an inconvenience for you. We look forward to your next stay, located off the main highway our location is very convenient and close to tourist destinations, without paying the downtown price.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and do not stay here. People were sitting outside on makeshift chairs, drinking and smoking pot. There were old automobiles that looked like they had been parked in the same spot for weeks. It was not a good spot to stay for any amount of money.

We did appreciate the staff. They were attentive and helpful and understood our safety concerns.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank sammylynn53

I am sorry you were uncomfortable during your stay. When somebody witnesses other people doing things they shouldn't at any hotel, this should be reported immediately to the front desk. Any front desk agent, at any hotel, would remedy and take care of the situation at hand. They are trained to handle any issues that may arise. Believe me when I say all hotels have issues on occasion, no matter the amount of money paid. I wish you would have given us the chance to fix what you saw, but again when we are unaware of the situation happening, it makes it very hard to fix. We do hope you give our hotel another chance.