“Make sure no large family reunion is the same weekend”

Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Dodgeville, United States
“Make sure no large family reunion is the same weekend”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The room was good, food was great, pricing was ok, pool area would have been nice except it was taken over by loud, rude, unsupervised kids who splashed everyone, threw things all around you, and basically just ran around like a group of 30 unsupervised kids would do. Wish the staff would have made them obey some of the pool rules.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed March 4, 2014

always very friendly when we arrive, smiling faces. The rooms are very spacious, the beds are very comfortable. the hot breakfast is always wonderful. we stay here whenever we visit our son at UD. It is in a great location, close to the downtown area which offers plenty to do. The pool and family area is a wonderful spot to relax and spend time with the whole family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Overall the hotel was pleasant, clean, and in a good location. GREAT food from Champs restaurant delivered to my room in no time. HOWEVER, at 2am the smoke detector battery started chirping. The front desk attendant could not leave the desk to change the battery but was able to bring me a key to sleep in a room across the hall. The fact that the battery was dead in a hotel is disconcerting. When I went to checkout the following morning, they did not give me any kind of adjustment on my bill for the inconvenience. Needless to say, I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Tina G, Manager at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Karmin,
I apologize for the smoke detector waking you during your stay with us. I did receive a call just this week from your travel company explaining to me what had happened. They asked if we could give you a discount, but I immediately refunded your stay with us and offered my sincerest apologies. I do hope that they have passed that on to you, because they said that they would. I also want to assure you that our smoke detectors are hard-wired with a battery back-up, so even though the battery had expired, you were never in any danger because the alarm was still connected to the system. I apologize again for the disturbance and do hope you would give us another opportunity to provide you with a comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable stay. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel at 563-557-8000.
HALES CORNERS
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Always a pleasure staying here. Staff friendly and professional. Bed always comfortable. Champs restaurant a plus. Rooms quiet and restful. Have stayed here previously, and the experience has always been most enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Madison,Wi
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Check in went smoothly. Staff is friendly. Pool and game area is wonderful for a day of relaxing with the family. Rooms were clean. Beds comfortable. Towels are fluffy. You get a paper everyday. Free breakfast. Plenty of resturants close by. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This was an overall nice place to stay... I brought my wife here for our 10 year anniversary and for the most part it loved up to all the positive reviews I had read. The pool area is really nice! Makes you feel like it's summer even in February!!! The restaurant was ok at best and the room was very clean with the exception of a wet wash cloth that was hanging on the shower rod from the person who had the room the previous night (kinda gross). But I figured housekeeping must've just missed that... My only real complaint was after coming back to the room from the casino, we had been in the room for a few minutes when I went back out to go get some ice... When I opened my door I was surprised to see a Sheriffs Deputy roaming the halls... He was rude to me when I spoke to him, not sure why he was there in the first place??!!! But I hadn't done anything or hadn't been being noisy to make him act that way towards me so that was a definite negative... Would be nice to know if they had been called on another guest or if it's just standard for this hotel to have police roaming the halls... Other than that I was totally satisfied with my stay!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tina G, Manager at Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to know when our guests have enjoyed our hotel. However, I do want to apologize for the deputy sheriff coming across as rude to you. We do have them here most Saturday nights due to the many large events at our hotel. Their presence is for our guest to have an added sense of well-being and not to feel uncomfortable or be treated rudely. I appreciate you letting us know how you felt. If your travels return you to the area, we hope you choose the Best Western Plus Dubuque!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have stated at all top named hotels in Dubuque such as the Hampton, Marriot, Hilton and i have to say the Best Western has a few better services than the others such as the great costumer service, room cleanliness, the location near the HyVe, Target, Walmart and restaurants around including Champs being connected to the hotel, free breakfasts at Champs. The only 2 issues i have with the hotel is the room are a not very well lit and power plugs are hard to get to sometimes by the bed and work desk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business