“You get what you pay for”

Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Hotel seemed dated. Was the same type of Holidome that used to be nice in the 1980's. Would have expected a more modern hotel. Need more ice machines. Walls are thin, baby next door kept us up til 3a.m. breakfast was good at champps.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a very nice stay at the Best Western Plus on Highway 20 in Dubuque. We had two connecting rooms, both of them large and very clean with comfortable beds and flat screen TVs. We chose the hotel both for location and for good rates (military/government). The pool was good for our 3 and 7 year old girls who spent an hour frolicking in it there. Would have been nicer if the shallow end had been two feet instead of three feet but that's a minor point. Champps Restaurant is connected to the hotel - we had a wonderful meal with extraordinary service. Complimentary breakfast there in the morning which included two meats, fruits, potatoes and much more. Overall, one of the best experiences we've had in the past several years at a motel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a great hotel. Rooms are large and clean. The service is first-rate. When we checked into our room, it appeared that the housekeeping had not completed the job, so we were quickly given another room. This room's refrigerator was full of the previous guest's leftover food. The staff could not have been more apologetic, took $20 off our bill and gave us a $20 gift card to the hotel's restaurant, "Champps." We were very appreciative. The indoor pool and game area, in a center atrium, are great for families. And the best part is the breakfast at Champps. No other complimentary hotel breakfast we've had has come close. It's real, hot and tasty breakfast food in an all-you-can-eat buffet: eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, home fries, fruit, pastry, etc., etc. And this hotel is very affordable considering all that you get for your dollar. A great value all around. We visit family in Dubuque once a year and this very fine Best Western is our Dubuque address.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently traveled here with a group and some of us arrived early due to the heat. The staff was most accommodating to check on our room availability and get us alternate rooms so we could cool off. Simple requests were immediately attended to in a very friendly manner.
The Champs restaurant attached to the hotel was also very good without being overly priced as hotel restaurants can with great service and friendly staff as well.
The hot breakfast was very good and well attended.

I would definitely recommend this location if ever in the Dubuque area.

Room Tip: There is plenty of parking by the various entrances with elevators available so most locations will...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband had a family reunion in Dubuque, Iowa so we booked with the Best Western Plus. The room was large, bright and clean. It was conveniently located near the Mississippi on the east side and the lovely town all around. We were pleasantly surprised at the amenities that were provided, such as the beautiful, sunny pool area. The full breakfast was delicious with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cottage fries and pancakes. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially the manager, Tina Gau. Our only complaint would have to be that the restaurant was a sports bar with TV's everywhere, so we didn't eat there. We loved Dubuque and plan to go back again, and will definitely stay at this hotel while there.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, request a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My 12 year old and I were here for a weekend getaway in Galena. We stayed two nights and were very satisfied with this hotel. There is nothing super fancy but it is very clean, lovely (warm enough!) pool and a hot-tub for Mom, a really good hot breakfast, easy parking, gracious staff. My only complaints were the smell of smoke in the halls - I feel so bad for hotel people, tho, I can imagine how difficult it must be to get that smell out of carpets, and as long as there are smoking rooms it would be impossible to get rid of. Our room was nonsmoking and that was fine. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it for a visitor to Galena looking for a reliable, affordable hotel.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

From the moment that I walked in and proceeded to the reception I was greeted with smiles and a friendly voice saying welcome to The Best Western how may I help you. I cannot say enough kind words about the office staff and housekeeping on the pleasant stay that I had here. I used the pool and spa which was always a welcome sight and the end of my very long day the area was always clean and well maintained, the gym which I was in about three times a week was always clean and fresh as well, all areas of the hotel as well as the outside were always clean and the gardens and lawns were well manicured too. The room I had (459) was one that had a kitchenette in it so if I didn't want to go out for a meal I could cook one myself in the room which was great the room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable just like home.
The restaurant attached to the hotel called Champs is a great place to eat and meet people, you can watch your favourite sport with over 15 big screen TV’s you will not miss any sport worldwide.
My stay at the hotel was for 3 months and I literally had everything on the Champs menu and I could not fault the food there what so ever I would of like to thank the Chef but never got the chance to so will say it now hat off to you Chef it was a pleasure to eat your food. I would like to give the waitresses a big praise as well; they were very friendly, professional and had a great attitude towards their customers and job, I would like to thank the bar staff Emily, Sarah, Matt and Brad who made me feel very welcome like if I was at my local bar/pub back home, all under the management duties of Dennis who work well with his team and created a great atmosphere at Champs.
In saying all that it was a pleasure to be a guest and a patron at the hotel and restaurant and I look forward to my next stay at The Best Western Dubuque.

Kind regards

Chris Friedewald
International training, production and assembly consultant for manufacturers in the USA,
technical support, warranty, parts clarification.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Travelers also viewed these Dubuque hotels
Hotel Julien Dubuque
Hilton Garden Inn Dubuque Downtown
Holiday Inn Dubuque
Holiday Inn Dubuque
#7 of 17 in Dubuque

Been to Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!