“Great Place To Stay In Dubuque!”

Best Western Plus Dubuque Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Place To Stay In Dubuque!”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Clean, good location plus the Champs sports bar and grill attached is an added plus! If you have kids you can keep them busy in the nice sized pool. Also a hot tub, ping pong tables, game room.
I stayed while on a motorcycle ride around the area and really enjoyed the place. It's close to Galena Illinois and some great shopping for the ladies. Folks at the hotel were very nice. They have a great breakfast buffet at the Champs attached that's free for hotel guests. Eggs, bacon, hash, biscuts and gravy, pancakes, french toast depending on the day. Very nice.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor if you want to avoid the stairs. 2nd floor is actually the main floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lpeck93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

A couple of weeks ago we stayed at the Best Western Plus in Dubuque IA for a little anniversary getaway. It was wonderful...from check-in to the breakfast buffet the next morning. We ate lunch at Champps in the hotel and that was very good too. We would give this a 5 star with no hesitation. Fairly closet to dntn as well as the casinos, museums, etc.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor above the pool but not noisy at all.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marsha S
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I usually stay at Best Westerns on the road, but this is the best Best Western in the midwestern United States I've stayed at. The concierge and house keeping were extremely helpful and polite. My room was very clean and comtemporary. There was an indoor pool, which I didnt use, but it looked nice. It is in a great area near restaurants and shops and only about 1 minute away from the Mississippi River. I highly recommend this hotel. I know I'll stay here next time I am in Dubuque.

• Stayed July 2011
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed May 14, 2012

At check in the front desk gave me a piece of paper to sign that I agreed not to smoke in the room. When I entered the room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. I called the front desk to inform them, not to complain. My only concern is that I would be charged extra for de-odorizing. They apologized and gave me a new room.

Then I went to the restaurant, Champs, which is a sports bar attached to the hotel. It was very noisy. I like to have a more quiet, relaxing atmosphere but if you like sports bars, you will like Champs. It must be a popular place because it seemed as if the whole town was there. I decided to just have a quick beer and burger and head back to my room. I must say, it was one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. It looked just like the picture.

The free breakfast buffet was nothing special. Standard fare. Lukewarm.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank That_Darn_Matt
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed here in July for a short getaway drive along the Mississippi. The hotel was on the outskirts and in rush hour traffic a little tricky to get to, but not at all the responsibility of the hotel. We booked a room and had it reserved using a credit card but I wanted to pay cash upon arrival. Told not an issue over the phone but turned into a dilema at the front desk upon arrival. Other than that check in was smooth.

Was sent in the direction of the elevator to our room. After walking through the doors you are in the pool are and then you walk down a hallway and the elevator is there. As soon as we passed the pool area an overwhelming sell hit us. It was horrible! We waited for the elevator and had to seperate into 2 groups to fit the luggage cart and the 5 of us onto the elevator. very small! The smell in the elevator was just as bad. When we got off on our floor the smell was still there but not as bad. I would have thrown more of a stink but when we entered our room, there was no smell.

The room was on the small side and in need of some maintenance. There were nails in the wall like someone had stole the pictures and just overall poor maintenance/construction. My husband is a commercial carpenter and was amazed at the poor quality. The door in the bathroom was cut almost 4 inches above the floor. When you opened the door to the bathroom the door hit the toilet. There was absolutely no room in that room to accomodate our family.

The pool area was nice, a little busy and loud due to volleyball groups, but again not the fault of the hotel. It was nice to swim in a hotel pool that was deeper than 5 feet. We ate at the onsite restaurant for dinner and had a decent meal.

Breakfast was good but slow with refills. We are early risers and were at breakfast as soon as it started and had to wait about 10 minutes before they had things ready. Maybe not a big deal to most but we like to get on our way right away in the mornings.

Checkout was a chore as well since I paid in cash, which I had to do in the morning which slowed our process even more.

This hotel did not meet our expectations and we found it to be below average and for $125 a rip off.

I did fill out a comment card and sent it from our house (wanted to make sure it made it to corporate) and never heard back. Guess Best Western isn't too worried about customer satisfaction. Haven't stayed in another Best Western since and won't when we visit Niagara Falls this summer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank casey101
Iowa
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I was surprised that a Best Western was ranked #2, but decided to stay here with my two teenagers anyway. The staff was very helpful and friendly, and all seemed well at first. My husband and I spent some time in Champp's watching the NCAA tournament, the kids swam for a bit, but found the pool crowded and boring. Worn out from our day of sight seeing, we wanted to go to sleep early, but couldn't because it was so NOISY in our room! That continued until about 11:15, when the pool area finally emptied out! My husband turned on the A/C and we all turned in. He awoke at 2:30am and realized the A/C wasn't working. Thank God the window opened! In the morning, I couldn't get the bathroom light to turn on. Mentioned both problems at checkout and was told we should have called maintenance when we realized the problem, even though it would have woken up the whole family. Strange experience, that's for sure! The hotel gets a three for the staff - if it wasn't for that, it'd be lower.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The hotel is very good for travelling with kids. There is a large pool with lots of seating for groups to hang out. The kids enjoyed playing Ping-Pong and pool. The hotel was nice and clean. The room was big and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable for sleep. The breakfast was a standard continental, but good to start the day with Excellent location for local events. We will stay there again next visit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family