“Best Asian restaurant in town”
Review of Yen Ching

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yen Ching
Ranked #61 of 211 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I am a born and raised Dubuquer and a picky epicurean. This restaurant is best in town for delicious authentic Chinese cuisine. The spicy chicken (or Hunan chicken if you prefer it grilled not fried) is my favorite. The restaurant is locally-owned and the staff is very friendly. You can get a lunch entree between $5-6. Each dish is served piping hot; no gross food buffets!

Reviewed June 17, 2009

Not good in any way. Prices are expensive for what this is. I suspect they use MSG as most of the diners with us had bad headaches after eating. Vegetables were overcooked (especially the snow peas - they were limp and gross) and the meat was poor quality. I would not recommend eating here.

Reviewed November 2, 2008

Okie dokie... We stopped here after reading the glowing reviews on this website. Apparently, something has changed in the last 10 months. I was leery from the start, it just looked like a really un-appetizing place from the first step inside. The waitstaff were all quite rude non-Asians, the cook looked either Spanish/Mexican or Mediterranean. There were piles of dirty dishes in a plastic tub within full view of the dining room. They used a dingy-looking rag in a 5-gallon paint-like bucket of grayish water to "wash" the tables. I was a beef queen, and I know for a fact that our Iowa Health Department was NOT kind to our organization when we used anything short of perfectly sanitary cooking/cleaning practices - even outside with no running water! Imagine if they walked into this place unannounced... I have half a mind to call them. In the meantime, please eat at your own risk. I ordered the hot and sour soup - figuring that there was nothing remotely dangerous in that, and it all stayed neatly in my stomach. We shared a plate of cream cheese wontons - which, me being a French-German woman raised by a Norwegian adoptive mother knows little to nothing about cooking Chinese food - could probably have done better. They tasted like wontons off a 3-hour-old buffet, aside from being deadly-hot from being freshly cooked. They were just tough and rubbery and the cream cheese was basically nonexistent... I was totally unimpressed. Please, remember to look at the dates listed on the reviews and remember that restaurants can change management, change cooks, even close entirely in that amount of time. Maybe we hit this place on an "off night" - but I doubt it. The staff seemed all too comfortable in their routines, making me believe they've had this unsanitary condition in place for quite some time. Which is sad, considering the previous reviewers seemed to think it was a really great place! Too bad it couldn't stay that way...

1  Thank sweettart2001
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We went with the other reviews on this website and traveled down from our hotel to Yen Ching. Not a good idea. The decor was the only authentic about this place. The wait staff was rude and the service was slow. Food was bland and too "American" for my taste buds. Not sure when the last time they had a food safety inspection but it is needed. My wife was horrified looking into the kitchen from our booth. Prices are way too high for what you get. Take the extra step and look elsewhere in DBQ for Chinese food as there are other great places not even on this website that you should eat at.

Reviewed April 9, 2008

Spicy chicken is my favorite dish.

Been to Yen Ching? Share your experiences!