“Can't wait to go back...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richards House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubuque
Richards House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
“Can't wait to go back...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2005

We just returned from an overnight at the Richards House B&B in Dubuque. We went with friends who have stayed there 4 or 5 times, but this was out first. It's interesting to see the different reviews people give their experiences there. Yes, the outside is a work in progress. Having owned a 100+ year old Victorian house, maybe I'm more lenient than most, because I know what they are trying to do with the house. The stairs creak, sure, but I creak and I'm only half as old as the house. Our experience was that everything was clean, the towels were new and thick, so apparently they replaced everything this year. The parts of the house that are done are lovely, especially their Rose bedroom. Many really nice antiques all throughout the house. We stayed in the Blue room, with a refreshment area right outside our door. Freshly made blueberry torte, a fridge with beer, wine, pop, water etc. and a nice fire in our fireplace made for a wonderfully relaxing evening. SUPER restaurant right up the street about 4 blocks,so the location was convenient. On the parking - NO ONE has off street parking - the older homes do not have garages, and were built closely together, which eliminates the possibility of a parking lot.

The breakfast was magnificent - the best bacon quiche, apple cake, and waffles I've ever had. I guess it all boils down to what your expectations and requirements are. If you think you're staying at someone's house (which you are) and having breakfast with them before you go, you just may enjoy your experience. We'll be going back.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank Liberty17761951

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2005

Stayed with Dave and Michelle at the Richards House earlier this week and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Yes, the exterior is a 'work in progess', but the interior more than made up for it. The detailed woodwork is absolutely awesome! It reminded me of castles I have toured in Europe. The breakfast was delicious. It is true, Michelle(Innkeeper) was a bit odd with not much sense of humor. Other than that, it was o.k. Be open minded and give it a try.

Stayed October 2005
2 Thank Helperguy1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Richards House. It is a lovely old, Vicorian Home. The owners have a flair for making it come together and have tried to keep it authentic. Food was wonderful, service excellent and hosts were friendly. Don't be deterred by the exterior. It is a work in progress.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

When we drove up, I seriously questioned the state of the house! Scafolding all around, a front porch that looks like it would collapse if anyone stood on it. No real parking to speak of, off street was all they had. Not the best area of town either, glad the car was still there in the morning. Inside, water stains on the ceilings, staircases that felt like that would fall down when walking on them. We had the Yellow room, dirty yellow was more like it. Walls with cracks in them, dirty windows, towels so thread bear they would have worked better as rags. Bathroom was a joke, the toilet was so loud, we dare not flush at night, the tub, no shower curtain if you wanted to shower. Terrible water pressure and rags around the tub to catch the water that ran out. I do not see how this place is rated a top 25 B*B as they advertise, yes restoration takes ages, but it looks like they will never be done or want to get done. The woman that runs it for the guy that owns it, very odd person. Seemed offended when I mentioned it looked smaller from the outside, well next to scaffolding and no roof what do you expect!? We will never be staying here again

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2004

We always have an excellent stay at the Richard's House, we love bunny the kitty and Michelle will take EXCELLENT care of you. The breakfasts are wonderful and filling and there are snacks and wine available for you. we have stayed in a couple of different rooms and will return there every year!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chatham, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2004

I've stayed at the Richards House on three separate occasions. Once with my daughter, once with my husband, and once with my senior citizen mother...all three visits were unique and wonderful. My husband and I hope to stay there again in the near future.

1 Thank 2again
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2004

The scent of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies greeted us at the door, and that was just the beginning! The beautiful, well furnished Victorian home was welcoming, cozy and warm. Our rooms were beautiful, the beds comfortable. We couldn't have been moreat ease in our own homes! Michelle prepared an AMAZING breakfast, and was so charming. It was a perfect fit for myself and two long time college friends for a "girls weekend away" I can hardly wait for my next visit! I get the Rose Room, girls!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member