“Our Favorite B&B Anywhere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubuque
Richards House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
Landenberg, PA
“Our Favorite B&B Anywhere”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This is an amazing house - stained glass windows, tile fireplaces, incredible woodwork and antiques (the Richards must have been quite prosperous in 1883), plus Michelle makes you a wonderful breakfast in the morning. Some may be initially put off by the exterior condition, but you are depriving yourself of a real treat if you let that scare you off. The renovation will probably be a lifetime project for Michelle and David, but as old-house fans, we like to go back every year or so and see their progress. David is currently replacing the slate roof himself - rigging himself up every morning and going out on the steep roof to work (this is a three story building, so he is way up there), so you can tell they are dedicated to preserving this wonderful old house!

Room Tip: The Library (first floor) is especially nice. Any of the second floor rooms (private baths) are als...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bolingbrook IL
Reviewed September 10, 2011

WOW...we spent two nights at this place for our 29th anniversary and I have to say it was THE most romantic place to do this. The decor in this bed and breakfast is absolutely gorgeous. The innkeepers are friendly and the food awesome. The privacy of the suite and the elegance of the bed and interior made us both feel way young again and we rekindled our love. I recommend this place for any couple just wanting a romantic get away. The parlor/library suite had a claw foot bathtub and they even supplied the robes!!

Room Tip: The parlor/library though roomy and large was on the first floor. It was still very private and quie...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Buckner, Missouri
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We have stayed in B&Bs all over the country. I picked this location based on many of the reviews. The breakfasts were indeed wonderful and the hosts were most anxious to make us feel welcome, however this was not up to par. The outside looked like it was fallilng down around our ears. We realize renovation takes time, but it appeared nothing had been done in a significant amount of time. The back porch (over a first floor room) was open to the public felt totally unsafe with spongy floorboards and stagnant water in the gutters. The front porch was bolstered up by scaffolding that had obviously been there a long time. Inside, the two rooms we had to choose from, the wall paper was peeling and the plaster had fallen off the ceiling with the lathe showing. The hostess encouraged us to write a great review which may be why the reviews are confusing compared to the huge need to complete repairs. The price was fairly low, most likely due to staying in a location that needs significant repair.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IndepMo
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My wife and I spent a great evening at the Richards House. The interior is full of antiques and charm, and the price was extremely affordable. The breakfast and snacks (made available all day) alone were worth the cost of the stay. The exterior is most definitely a work in progress. It's my understanding that the owners are slowly working on it as time and money allow; however do not let the exterior condition deter you from a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon S
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Four of my girlfriends and I stayed at the Richards House while we did the Iowa Wine Trail Weekend. We had a fire in the fireplace in our rooms at night and wonderful desserts on the sideboard each evening. Breakfast was a break-feast! The food was wonderful, the home was beautiful and comfy, and the service was beyond my expectations! I would definately reccomend the Richards House to anyone who is staying in the Dubuque area. Thank you for a great time!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Check the website
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Wellman IA
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I can not say enough about this wonderful home! For history and Victorian fans, this is a great place! I felt I was sleeping in a museum. The furnishings are incredible, antiques all. The house itself is a masterpiece of craftmanship. The owners were delightful and provided excellent service. The price was a bargain. The breakfast perfect and met my dietary needs (gluten free). Everywhere the eye landed was beautiful and historical. The bed was comfy. The tub was enormous. As with any old house, this is a work in progress. The exterior is not completely renovated/ preserved, but will be incredible when completed. The craftsmanship of the renovations being done by the owner is outstanding. He is a true artist! I learned so much and enjoyed this place so much that I cannot wait until I can return! I will count this as one of the highlights of all my travels around the state, country, and world.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Des Moines Iowa
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here two nights on a weekend. Michelle DID let me pick my room by the way.I will say even though I knew this place was under renovation, I was a little shocked seeing it at first. It does look pretty bad. We rang the bell and the owner, Michelle answered. I introduced myself and my husband and then she went right into showing us around. She never introduced herself, I only knew her name from the other reviews. Our room was very large and a cool claw foot soaking tub in the middle of the room. It did smell a bit musty but she had a air purifier running constantly in our room so that helped a little. There are beautful ornate fireplaces in almost every room and lots of cool lamps and windows. My husband would have hoped for a shower but our room did not have one. I enjoyed taking a bath as there is a fireplace right next to it. The furniture and rugs are kind of tattered and old but they are antiques. There was not a lot of noise which I liked. Our mattress was not that comfortable though. Not very cushy. Husband didn't like that, either. There are LOTS of movies to choose from and watch on the flat screen tv in room. The breakfasts were excellent. That was the best part. She makes HUGE meals and serves everything very nicely. The only downside with that is you can't get your coffee right when you wake up. You have to wait til breakfast time. Overall, I enjoyed my stay although my husband thought everything wasn't very well taken care of. Next time I go back I will take a girlfriend who likes the history and doesn't mind all the imperfections. Plus I need a shopping partner.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple