“Courteous Staff Makes This Hotel!”

Hampton Inn Dubuque
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Lake Villa, IL
“Courteous Staff Makes This Hotel!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Hampton Inn the first weekend in February.
The staff was very courteous and helpful. We needed ideas for dinner the first night, and the front desk gave us a nice restaurant suggestion. The room was clean, and the shower was new and actually spacious (We had a room with just a shower, no tub).The breakfast was a typical Hampton Inn breakfast, so it had a good variety of choices. It snowed the first night we were there, and the snow removal person was there bright and early the next morning to be sure we could all get out and on our way.

Room Tip: My husband and I both really liked the shower. If you don't need a tub, you might ask for a simi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New Brighton, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great rooms, Great Breakfast! Clean Hotel - easy check in and check out! I missed out on saving $10 by not booking sooner. I booked our room within a week of our stay and the price went up. Also didn't know that there was breakfast offered and was pleasantly surprised when we saw the wonderful options for breakfast. Nice facility!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The staff was courteous and informative. I was impressed with the quality of the room. The TV was new and big. The temperature stayed nice and even. Everything was clean and odor-free. The only thing that bothered me (very minor) was that it was not easy to sit up in the bed to watch TV. The pillows were very soft, and great for sleeping, but not good for sitting up against the head board. Everything else was so good that I feel like I can't complain. To top it off, I really didn't spend very much at all. This is one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great service and great location breakfast was great Steve at the front desk is Awesome. Great beds Pool was a little warm outside but the water was great. There was a post-it note on the headboard of the bed that said the duvets were clean. It was a quite area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Savage, MN
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were visiting my brother in Dubuque over the Christmas holiday and needed shelter for my family of five. The first criterion in my selection was that the hotel must be a Hilton property, as I was jonesing for HHonors points and achieving the coveted "Silver" member level. The Hampton - Dubuque was apparently located centrally, had good marks from prior TripAdvisor members, and was reasonably priced at $89/$99 for our 2-night stay.

The hotel is located "up the hill" from historic on-the-river Dubuque, and is right in the thick of the major shopping area in town. The hotel is about a 200-yard walk from both Target and HyVee, so you have extremely easy access to virtually any grocery, drink, or merchandise that you might need. A couple of blocks across the highway is a plethora of major stores and restaurants. The outside of the hotel is hardly prepossessing, but is standard for a mid-scale hotel of this type. The lobby is well-kept and comfortable, and the breakfast area decently-sized. We did not have time to use the pool area, so I can't comment on that.

Our room was comfortable, if slightly on the small side. Having five in our family, we needed a rollaway bed, and there was really no place to put it. It ended up in the hall by the front door, leaving only about six inches of space to get by it to access the bathroom or leave the room. There was also no place for an easy chair, so the only place to sit down besides the beds was the desk chair. The room would have achieved much higher marks in my book were it slightly larger and including an easy chair.

The queen beds were very comfortable, but I'd advise bringing your own pillows, as the hotel's were smallish but "thick," prompting an awkward neck angle. TV, desk, lamp, chest were all standard. I did think that there were more outlets than I often find in a hotel, making it easier to charge all the gadgets that families seem to have these days. The bathroom was clean and spacious, and I really liked the showerhead with its full, even spray.

One major criterion of mine for virtually ALL hotels is that they have a breakfast included. It's just my way. The Hampton's breakfast was solid, if not spectacular. There were hot options (differing by day) of scrambled eggs, sausage, fried eggs, and sausage patties (for making an egg-sausage sandwich). There were also cereals, oatmeal, fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, milk, coffee, and juices. The breakfast area was clean and stocked promptly, and we were able to get a table even during the busy time on Sunday morning.

I am usually pleased by the mid-tier combination of amenities and value that Hampton Inns offer, and this was no exception. It is well-located, well-run (very pleasant staff that was responsive to our few requests), well-kept, and a sensible choice for a family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Little Rock
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in a 3rd floor room. The room was comfortable. Upon arrival to the room, we noticed post-it notes on each of the headboards stating that we had clean duvets. I know it is part of their marketing campaign but it made me wonder about other hotels and their policy on changing duvets, comforters, bedspreads, etc.. Sheets and towels seemed a bit thin. Coffee maker and ice bucket are housed in the bathroom. This to me is grotesque. Move them into the room. Also, there wasn't a refrigerator. Staff was attentive in keeping the outside walkways clear of ice and snow. Front desk staff was professional but not friendly. Breakfast was nothing to get excited about other than it was free.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank japw82
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay nice clean room super comfortable beds rate amongst best to date.Indoor pool and whirlpool were very relaxing.
We found the breakfast to be what we wanted even grabbed a breakfast to go bag on the way out which was nice snack while continuing along our road trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family