“Pretty Good for Non-Japanese Japanese. For Authentic Sushi Go Elsewhere”

Taiko Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2012

CAVEAT: DID NOT DO HIBACHI GRILL TABLES SO THIS REVIEW ONLY CONCERNS THE SUSHI PORTION OF THE RESTAURANT. PLEASE DO NOT LET IT KEEP YOU FROM TRYING THE GRILL SIDE!

My buddy and I went to get our sushi on last evening and had high hopes for this place. They did try really hard but mixed up on several steps of our order and we had to remind them / request things more than once.

The first thing I noticed was the hostess/head waitperson was speaking Chinese, not Japanese to one of the server/bussers. I did not hear any Japanese while I was in the restaurant. I asked for water with lemon and they brought me hot water with lemon... okay. Understandable booboo, can overlook.

Then, they brought me egg drop soup (!) which I didn't order - apparently it comes with sashimi platter - so I tasted it and it was awful. I guess they give away the soup they are trying to get rid of. I asked to please have miso instead, and they complied.

My sashimi platter was not at all Japanese cut, it was very weird with no veins and it was somewhere in between usuzukuri and domino (closer to usuzukuri), with not a grain in sight (the slashes you see in the fish when properly cut). The slices were all see-through and pale and irregularly sized (around 4x2 rectangles), and the salmon tasted like it had been smoked, it was NOT raw. They remembered I asked for extra wasabe and didn't want pickled ginger, but forgot the sauce on the side I asked for. All of this was written down when we ordered.

My companion had initially ordered a cold saki which they did not deliver until after he inquired as to its whereabouts, sometime after main course delivery. He was dismayed to find it came in a closed bottle placed on the table, like a coke can, and thought it a bit classless. On this we sort of disagree... anyway he thought they should have decanted it into something prior to bringing to table. Not sure about how a small cold sake should be served, it wasn't popular when I worked in a sushi restaurant - we only served hot. So on this point not sure to ding restaurant or not?

Anyhow: Overall for a city of this size I think it would be quite difficult to find a sushi place with a classically trained sushi chef - they must flock to the big cities. I do have sympathy but think they shouldn't bill it as Japanese unless it's really so. If you are satisfied with a "reasonable facsimile thereof" then by all means this is the place for you. I wouldn't visit again.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Our family had a fantastic service experience at Taiko. The food was fabulous, the chef was entertaining, the service was great. We have been to Benihana and other premium Japanese steakhouse restaurants, and Taiko stands out as our favorite, because of the exceptional service - filet mignon on the kid's menu... great value for a nice dinner.

1  Thank galenaneal
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My fiance and I went there for some sushi, and needless to say, they exceeded our expectations. The outer appearance almost scared him off, but I told him to go inside and then be the judge. We weren't greeted at the door, but while we 'explored' for a second, we were greeted by the waitress, and who I believed to be the owner. Such wonderful people! We received a complimentary bowl of mushroom soup. Then we ordered and received the freshest sushi I've ever tasted. I'd love to come again!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Entertaining and good food. Expect your clothes, hair and purse to smell of the restaurant (particularly garlic) for awhile after your visit.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We have had eaten at every Japanese Steakhouse we can find across the country. Our kids love it. The staff at Taiko is fantastic, friendly service and good food.

2  Thank LoveDBQ