“Nice walk along the river front; needs more art!”

Art on the River, Public Art Display
Ranked #12 of 74 things to do in Dubuque
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed September 5, 2016

We walked from the river museum and aquarium to the shot tower (which is where the walk ends).

Very nicely paved (and wide!) path along the river front. There are a few spots with steps leading down right to the water. No swimming or wading, of course. We saw a crane or stork and some ducks.

I didn't think there was much in the way of artwork. I don't know if I just didn't notice it, or if they've removed some of it. I noticed a metal butterfly, and a few other items. I would love to see more art along this walkway!

We saw many others walking, some with dogs, so apparently they are allowed on leash. I did not see anyone on bikes, skates, etc., so I'm guessing they are prohibited on the path.

All reviews
"shot tower"
in 7 reviews
"hanging baskets"
"great walk"
"cool building"
in 2 reviews
"national mississippi river museum and aquarium"
"sculptures"
in 4 reviews
"sites"
"riverboat"

Reviewed September 4, 2016

We came together as a family and enjoyed the art displays on the river walk it was late afternoon and before we left it was night .
Camera not working right so our pictures didn't turn out .
We do have the memories forever of this displace and get walk for the family.
Understand that they have farmers market stalls in summer months .

Reviewed September 3, 2016

There are a few select pieces of art on a nicely groomed walk along the Mississippi. We got some good exercise walking and observing the art. Would have loved to see more pieces of art, though. Pleasant way to enjoy the river.

Reviewed August 19, 2016

The sculptures were a nice addition to natures beauty along the Mississippi River walk. Some had a whimsical theme i.e. picnic table on pontoons (we chuckled anyway) others were very complex and thought provoking.

1  Thank CatzandMike
See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2016

We happened to be going through the area in the middle of the day. It wasn't an exceptionally hot day, but with no shade it was not a comfortable walk. The river is pretty smelly right along this section! There is a lot of modern art. I'm glad we looked even though we didn't walk for long. On a side note, do not follow the Google Maps directions here without making sure you've entered an address. The directions will bring you to a parking lot on the wrong side of the river. I'm adding that to save others some confusion!

1  Thank Sandy H