“7.8 out of 10”

Ranked #7 of 210 Restaurants in Dubuque
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2014

In town for business - had read reviews and thought I'd 'have a go' to quote my old Scottish neighbor. Nicely restored Victorian era store, prototypical 1870 - 1910 era, 20 ft wide and about the same height. Lots of bare brick, ceilings with embossed tin surface, rough hewn wood features. Sat at the bar - no TV, light a bit dim..Ordered a small steak. Very tender, but underdone. Eclectic beer selection - bottles only. Could see a good choice of single malts, rye's and bourbons. Menu featured several local offerings. Help was friendly as were those at the bar.

1  Thank Brad F
There are newer reviews for Pepper Sprout

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We are in Dubuque four to six times a year and always have dinner at the Pepper Sprout. The menu changes seasonally and always offers some unique dinner selections. The owner is the chef and does a fantastic job of blending flavors. Reasonable prices and good servers add to the evening. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Wow! I can't say enough! The atmosphere was relaxing, great background music, old brick walls, nice low lighting.....and the FOOD!!! Beautifully presented, delicious, and original. Everything very fresh with delightful flavors! The service was outstanding. My husband and I are from the Chicago area and we'll be coming back to Dubuque again just to eat at the Pepper Sprout!!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Came here based on online reviews while in town for the first time. There aren't tons of non chain restaurants to choose from, but the area this is in (Old Main) has a few choices that look good. The Chop House a few doors down was also frequently recommended. I was told this is on the expensive and trendy side for Dubuque, but compared to San Francisco or New York, the prices were a screaming deal.

There is a fair amount of seasonal menu changing from what I could tell, and the dishes incorporated fresh local ingredients used creatively. There is a chef's special, and I was told you can't go wrong with that, as she is always doing something interesting with whatever looked good at the market. The menu had gluten free and vegetarian options.

Portions are very large. Their homemade caesar dressing is delicious and full of garlic. My entree wasn't super memorable, but my friend's steak was nicely finished. The wine list was extensive, and they also have craft beer. Was too full for dessert, but that sounded good too, with a range of options. It is all made on site fresh.

Service was reasonably paced, and our server was helpful and made recommendations. The atmosphere is laid back, with high ceilings and a bit of a warehouse/vintage feel. It's a solid choice.

1  Thank janewinebox
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were driving around downtown Dubuque looking for a good place for dinner (our first choice based on tripadvisor reviews was closed on Tuesday and we hadn't made a second choice). Luckily I saw this restaurant and we decided to try it. They seemed to have good choices for beer, but no beer menu to look at--the waiter asked what kind of beer we like then made a recommendation. The menu had many tempting options. The prices were reasonable for this type of restaurant. The pasta I ordered was way too much for me to eat and unfortunately we couldn't take the left overs home--I hated to see the food wasted.

Been to Pepper Sprout? Share your experiences!