“Perkins Rocks in Dubuque.”

Perkins Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #129 of 207 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Westmont, Illinois
“Perkins Rocks in Dubuque.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had forgotten how good some of the more famous chain restaurants can be. Perkins Restaurant and Bakery is a great example of a restaurant that seems to care about their product.

I was driving through Dubuque, Iowa and I needed to eat. I had decided to stop at whatever restaurant I came across first, as long as it was within my price bracket. I've wasted a lot of time in the past looking for a perfect restaurant in an unfamiliar city. Yes, I realize that there is no such thing as the perfect restaurant. So, when I saw the Perkins sign I decided to try it.

I received a decent welcome as I was handed a menu. Perkins focuses on breakfasts and American standard diner fare: Pot roast, country-fried steak, chicken tenders--you get the idea.

So, I ordered my favorite comfort food: country-fried steak, mashed potatoes and corn. The country fried steak was good, the mashed potatoes real (not reconstituted) and the corn, tasty. I also ordered a side of spinach which to my delight was not the mushy canned variety but a good amount of freshly prepared spinach leaves lightly buttered.

The meal came quickly and was served hot. The waitress came by several times to check that everything was O.K. Near the end of the meal, the manager, too, took the time to stop by and say Hi.

My girth reminds me not to eat bakery goods but, if I do, I'll be sure to try the baked desserts at Perkins next time.
And, there will be a next time.

• Visited September 2013

Dubuque, Iowa
“Not up to Par...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was my third trip in two months. The first one went great, then came these last two. Trip two; dip for French Dip so salty that I couldn't use it. So many booths were dirty we had to hunt for a clean one. Third trip (and likely last); crumbs all over the floor, menus were so dirty I asked for another one, tuna melt sandwich cold in the center, meatloaf crusty on the outside, pie toppings starting to get hard from setting so long, got our meal but the server forgot to bring us any silverware! All in all, I won't be going back. Sorry!

• Visited September 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
“Nice improvement...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Last time I ate at a Perkins I wasn't impressed; BUT one was on top of their game. Recent changes in management have resulted in many positives. The place was neat as a pin, servers were all neatly dressed, food was very good (great value for the dollar), and my desert was yummy. Servers were polite, helpful, and on top of things. Normal to short wait for the kitchen. I thought 10 bucks apiece was cheap given all the positives. Oh, had a slice of Banana Cream pie for desert. I've got to get me another one of those! Yum!

• Visited August 2013