“Great breskfast good price excellent service friendly atmosphere”
Review of Connie Jo's Place - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Connie Jo's Place
Cuisines: American
dubuque, iowa
“Great breskfast good price excellent service friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Really enjoy their breakfast ALWAYS just cooked exactly right. Wait staff is very attentive and friendly and makes sure everything is cooked just the way you like it. Been eating breakfast about once a week there for a year or more.

Galena,IL
“Authentic Southern”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family spent 2 years living on the gulf coast of Mississippi and came to love the good southern foods like red beans and rice, gumbo and fried okra. OK, I love the okra, but I am alone it in that opinion. Now, we can get those southern soul food treats just a few miles away from home, in Iowa of all places. Connie Jo's is primarily a breakfast and lunch place in downtown Dubuque, IA, but three evenings a week it becomes a haven for soul food. Chef JJ makes the best fried okra I have ever tasted, very tender (no slime) in a light cornmeal breading. My husband, who claims to hate okra, even liked it! We opted for the platter for two at $21.95 and got to choose two entrees and 4 sides. We loved the seafood gumbo with rice, enough zest to give it great flavor, but not enough to overwhelm the shrimp and crab. This is not campbell's gumbo, this is the real deal. My husband's favorite was the jerk chicken, very moist and delicious. We also tried the black eyed peas and red beans and rice, I could have used a bit more seasoning in both, just a few shots of tabasco. Our final side was the candied yams for the hubby who gobbled them up. We had a fabulous dinner for around $26.00 including tip and tax. Ask for your 55+ or veteran's discount. Can't wait to try breakfast and lunch, and of course, return for another soul food dinner. They also have a playroom for the kids, what a great idea.

• Visited January 2013