“Excellent place to visit! Loved it!”
Review of The Naughty Dog - CLOSED

The Naughty Dog
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Rochester, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent place to visit! Loved it!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The food was good and the atmosphere was very pleasant! If you go, try their homemade coleslaw. Very tasty. The ham and cheddar panini was good also! It was just the right amount of food. The owner was there and very friendly. The other lady working there was also very friendly. She rescues dogs...how cool is that! If you are a dog lover you will surely appreciate this place! Well even if you aren't really a dog person, I still highly recommend it. It has that small town charm feel to it. Very nice! I would definitely go back!

• Visited June 2014

Iowa
“naughty”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Great scone but only so-so coffee.
How can you have so-so coffee ? Like Dubuque truckstop coffee.
The young lady was pleasant and the site clean.

Visited April 2014
“Luncheon with a dear friend and her pooch!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I had the tuna salad. It was fantastic with big chunks of tuna, not overly intimidated with the dressing. I really like basic foods and was genuinely surprised at the flavors all mixed together yet being distinct in their own right. My coffee was delightful also. Service was great and the staff warm and friendly. The atmosphere on the deck, where dogs are welcome was comfortable.

• Visited August 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
“Great latte's and food for breakfast”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Selection of pastries, coffee's and friendly atmosphere. Its especially great in the summer with deck and patio seating.

Visited April 2014
Dubuque
“Nice venue for an upscale lunch for two”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I happened to be at the Dubuque library around lunchtime with a friend, so we decided to go across the street to the Naughty Dog deli. Despite being a longtime Dubuquer, I had never been inside the restaurant before, partly because of its limited hours, from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays.

However I’d often admired the lovingly restored Victorian-era brick building, which sits on a corner in historic downtown Dubuque and has appealing outside eating verandas with old-fashioned wrought iron railings. A small but nicely landscaped yard is adorned with pots of herbs in the summertime.

For lunch, I ordered a “cup and a half” which consisted of a small bowl of extremely tasty corn chowder – it also contained potatoes, celery, and I believe a little ham – along with half of a ham and cheddar panini. The soup came with a small side of oyster crackers. The sandwich was smaller than I’d hoped, but the combination was very delicious and the woman behind the counter (I assume she was both owner and cook) told us that the soup was homemade.

My companion ordered the tuna avocado salad on greens, which arrived in a generous scoop on arugula lettuce. Our lunches were delivered to our table by the cook herself, on square, lime green fiestaware style plates. I drank iced tea, and we shared a tempting chocolate chip cookie, which was rich and delectable.

The interior of the restaurant is light and airy. Although it is marketed to dog owners, no dogs were in sight, and the place was spotless. Tables are high, and perfect for two, although four people could squeeze in. We sat on tall wooden barstool type chairs. The hardwood floor, vintage 19th century décor, and huge windows provide a pleasing environment with plenty of natural daylight, and the place was not too loud.

It does become a bit crowded toward the deli window when people are waiting, and we spent about $25 for lunch for two, which is high for this area, but nice for an occasional treat. Other patrons appeared to be predominantly female, either on their lunch breaks or taking a break from shopping the Bluff St. or Cable Car districts.

All in all, a good experience due to the excellent food and friendly service, and I would recommend it for lunch if you are in the area.

• Visited March 2014