“Great for kids 6 and under!”

Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I would recommend this hotel and water park for anyone that has a young family.
1. The staff is beyond friendly.

2. The water park had a lot for the little ones to do and had some bigger slides for the kids that were 4 and up. What I loved about the slides is that you could ride with your little one, which most parks do not let you do.

3. Restaurant in building is good -- but it is really your ownly source of food, so either come prepared and bring some food to your room (their is a fridge) or plan on eating outside of the hotel frequently. Lots of good and reasonable restaurants in the area.

4. Room was just ok -- standard double bed room. but the view was FANTASTIC! You must ask for a river view.......totally worth it!

The hotel is great because there is so much in the area to see -- for example:
1. downtown dubuque and the awesome (and clean) parks
2. restaurants -- star brewery
3. museumes -- mississippi river (soooo kid friendly)
4. horse and buggy ride
5. boat rides
6. galena!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mickey H
There are newer reviews for Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark

Reviewed August 18, 2009

My family of 4 (kids are 10 and 8) traveled an hour away to come to the Grand Harbor Waterpark. We first stopped at the Mississipi River Museum which was a waste of money as well. It was almost $40 for us, and we were done looking around in about 30 minutes. I figured the waterpark would make up for it. We did not stay in a hotel room because they were too expensive, so we just paid for the park, which was close to $70. I couldn't find a plastic chair to sit in until a few people left. The tiny lockers cost $1 and you can't reopen them, so I couldn't get to my phone, camera and money until we left. The water slides are dinky, the lazy river is the smallest lazy river I have ever seen. I didn't even know thats what it was! The lifeguards are unfriendly teenagers that looked like they hated their jobs. My BF and I had to force ourselves to stay longer just so the kids could try and get our moneys worth. The inner tube slide is only about 6 seconds long, and that was the only thing I figured I could do as an adult, it was a pain to get around the tower thing to go to the other water slides. I probably looked like a dork, a 27 year old woman trying to climb a rope ladder so I could slide w/my daughter!

The arcade room outside of the park is no better than a Chuck E Cheese. For $5, I got my daughter to get enough tickets for a small cheap stuffed bear and a fake mustache.

If the place was cheaper, I wouldn't complain, but this place is so overpriced I still have a stomach ache 3 days later!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The hotel was okay. My 10-year-old son had about 2 1/2 hours of fun in the pool area. However, my 14-year-old son and his friend were much too old for the limited water activities (small venue with features geared toward much younger children). Even the arcade wasn't enough to interest them. It's nice for kids 10 & under but will be a huge disappointment to teenagers.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My wife, 2 year-old daughter and myself stayed at the Grand Harbor in July 2009. On our way back from southern Illinois, we booked a two room suite for $159/night. It was great. There was a large living room / kitchenette with a pull-out couch and a large bedroom with a comfortable king size bed. Both rooms had televisions. The large bathroom had a shower, in addition to a jacuzzi. Room was very clean and had a nice view of downtown and the casino.
My 2 year-old daughter loved the waterpark, but I do understand that older children (teens) would likely be bored after a while.
We ate the Tony Roma's restaurant at the hotel.....not great, but what you'd expect from a hotel restaurant in Dubuque.
Hotel is in a nice location and it was fun to walk along the riverwalk.
Staff was very friendly.
No complaints! It was a good value and was nicer than a lot of other hotels / resorts that we've stayed in the past.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank micahr2001
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We booked a couple night for the Memorial long weekend and also for my son's birthday. I would say the overall impression was good, the hotel was clean in general (some construction outside), people are friendly, and life guard supervised well at the pool. We spent most of our daytime outside the hotel, went to galena, lock & dam 11, Eagle watch park and Crystal Lake Cave, etc. and only went to the pool at night. The riverside walkway was very nice.

I booked online directly from grand harbor.com for 244/two night including the waterpark tickets. One Queen bed plus one sofa bed on the third floor facing the parking lot :-( (well we only use it at night don't expect anything spectacular). I would say it is still overpriced based on what was provided. And the waterpark is not 'grand' either but good for young age kids (my son turned 8). Breakfast buffet was price 7.99/adult and not too many options, we walked out and went to McDonald across the street. We didn't have problem with our stay but definitely not to choose it again (well unless they slash their prices).

My advise to people - don't have high expectation eve they label it 'GRAND' then you will be fine. Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We take the Riverboat Twilight to Dubuque from Le Claire IA nearly every year. The partnership between the hotel & the boat is awesome. We really feel pampered here. The luggage arrives in our room before the boat docks. The hotel staff does an express check in for us. In the morning we enjoy the included breakfast and a sightseeing tour. The crew picks up our luggage after we leave & it is waiting for us back at Le Claire.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We booked at the last minute and had 2 adults and 4 children. They told us the only room we could fit in was a "junior suite" for $200.00/night. My mistake for not asking what was in the suite . . .it was two double beds and a very small sofa sleeper all in one room. The room was dingy and dirty looking and the beds were small. I called the front desk and waited on hold for over 10 minutes for a manager to address my concerns.I finally walked down to the front desk and expressed my frustration. She explained the suite is 30% larger than regular room and that the double beds are only 6 inches smaller than a queen (not saying much when your spouse is 6'4".)

They did move us to a King fireplace suite once I pushed for a better room and provided two rollaway beds for us. This was a nicer room but still dirty, we found fortune cookies on the floor and a soda bottle by the curtains.

The waterpark is ok if you have kids 12 and under. Much older than that and it has nothing to offer. The lazy river is a joke and the water looked dirty. Not a comfortable seating area either if you can even find a chair.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family