“Wouldn't pay to stay out of my own pocket...”

Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed April 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while he was attending a conference and the 2-night reservation had been made for us by the company hosting this conference. When we walked in, we had to hike up the stairs with all our bags to the second floor where the check-in desk was because one of the two elevators was not working, and there was a long wait for the one that was working. Once we got to the room, there was two double beds....we really wanted a king or queen. When we called the front desk they wouldn't move us because they were "almost sold out for the night". No offer was made to switch us for the second night. The floor in the room had small debris by the trash can (a toothpick and other little pieces of trash), and the bathroom floor had crud in the corners. The bed was clean enough (yucky polyester bedspreads) and comfortable. There was microwave and fridge in the room as well. Free and fast WiFi in the room. All the floors in the hotel seemed to be in need of vacuuming. There were times when kids running up and down the hallway was loud and annoying...but it quieted down quickly at night. We stuck our head into the water park to take a look, it was pretty small and dark in there. The "greeter/receptionist" on the first level was kind and helpful with directions. The buffet breakfast was held in one of their conference rooms while they are renovating their restaurant - not a pleasant place for breakfast; I felt like the price was steep too ($8 for adults and $4 for kids), even though they had pancakes, bacon, eggs, potatoes. View of MS River from our room was really great and they have a beautiful river walk along the riverside. Vending machine on our floor (6th) was broken and water pressure in the shower was variable when water was being used elsewhere, Breck toiletries. Overall, probably a good deal if you have multiple kids under the age of 10, but I wouldn't pay out of my own pocket to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,794)

Reviewed March 23, 2009

Spent one night at the Grand Harbor with husband and 8 yr old son. Picked this hotel because it is near Galena and knew son would like waterpark. Our room was clean with no major complaints. Fridge and microwave a plus. Enjoyed the view of the Mississippi river and the bridge. Mattress was firm, pillows lumpy. Water park was loud and lounge seating is not real comfortabe(Plastic chairs) but our son enjoyed it. Food was reasonably priced. The arcade was nice. Games were all working. We had a nice time but probably won't go back. We Will visit Dubuque and Galena again but next time we'll just stay in a hotel with a quiet pool. This summer we will go to the Dells for the waterpark experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank iowagirl89
Reviewed January 25, 2009

The hotel had advertised specials on the internet, but the only way you could get the specials was by calling the hotel. The visit begins in frustration, because are only 2 elevators, and the registration is on the 2nd floor. Then you do it again to get to your room. 5-10 minutes waiting each way.
The room was small and dirty. It looked like they hadn't dusted in years. There was a big smear of 'something' on the TV, and greasy finger prints everywhere. There was gunk in the corners of the carpet, I didn't look under the bed! 2 double beds, so not a room to share with anyone. We could also hear everything in the hall and next door. For the room price I had expected a lot more.
We ordered room service 40$ for (2 pizzas, pop and cookies). No plates, napkins or cutlery, so we used facecloths. The one who took the order said it would takeover an hour, so I sent the kids to the arcade. The pizza came in 35 minutes...so they had to warm it up. Good thing we had a microwave!! It was a ready-made crust with stuff on top, so not exactly worth the price. The water park was small, but it was fine for my 5yr-old. The big climbing structure kept them occupied. The hot-tub was full of small children...yuck. The air in there was cold and the walk back to the room was thru freezing hallways. TAKE a SWEATER and shoes. The slides were fun, but I didn't see many lifeguards. The ones I saw looked bored and distracted. The arcade was 'fine' but a lot of things were out of order.
We won't waste our money again. If you could get a room-only price and there was a regular pool, maybe. The view of the river was really nice, even in winter, the only redeeming quality

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank canuck_02
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Not worth the money! The waterpark was very small, lazy river was a joke, basically a small circle. The water was cold, and there was no place to sit and relax. Terrible food choices in the waterpark. The rooms were outdated and the bed was very uncomfortable. Could hear a lot of noise from the room next door and the hallway.

Next time I will go to Wisconsin Dells for waterpark experience. The Grand Harbor is not worth the $149 we paid.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2008

We booked this hotel for a wedding reception to be held at the attached Grand River Convention Center. When I booked, I must have focused on the "Resort" part of the name instead of the "Water Park". Big Mistake. This is an indoor water park. The positives were that there is a nice enclosed walkway between the hotel and the Grand River Center. The staff was courteous and helpful. There were carts available to help move luggage from car to room (and back). The negatives were numerous. Walls so thin that we turned on the TV to block out the sound of our amorous neighbors. Small rooms that looked a little shabby, though they were clean and the view of the Mississippi River was spectacular. The biggest disappointment was the indoor water park that attracts many families with wet, noisy children. Chidren who use the elevator to get to the park and back. Sometimes they just used the elevator for fun. There were only two elevators and there was always a long or a very-long wait. For $129 a night, it was overpriced. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MI_gooddg
Reviewed November 6, 2008

My entire extended family planned on staying - the day before we were to leave my son came down with strep throat. The doctor advised us to post pone our trip. I called the hotel and they would not budge on their cancellation policy, which means I would have to pay the entire amount of the trip even though we aren't staying. I offered to get them a doctor's note, but they refused to work with me at all. I only assume they would prefer me to bring my sick child with strep throat to their hotel to spread his germs to all of the other guests.
Thanks for nothing Grand Harbor!!!

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank bex500
Reviewed September 20, 2008

The Grand Harbor Resort was a nice hotel! My daughter loved the water park, though she did not go on the tube slide. There was no major problems with the hotel, some rust in the shower and water park. We did not get to visit the Museum but will soon. We will come back sometime. Nice view of the river, with a restaurant on the side. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner was all nice. Star Brewery is good to. We went to all 3 states you could see. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2008