“The best hotel ever”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Geneseo, Illinois
“The best hotel ever”
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The waterpark was way bigger and quiter that Holiday Inn Waterpark in Amana, Iowa. The hotel let you make carmel apples on Saturdays and they only coast $1.00. The Carmel was so gooey and you also got to pick another topping. The Waterparks slides were awesome. The hotub was very cool too. This is very good waterpark-hotel.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Chicago
Reviewed January 30, 2008

This was a great visit for a family with young kids. It was a decent value for a weekday stay. We were told that it gets crowded on the weekends. The staff were extremely friendly. Give them a raise.

• Liked — Freidnly staff
  • Disliked — Pricy on the weekend
  • Stayed January 2008
Cuba City, Wi
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I booked an advertised package after contacting both by phone and by e-mail. I was originally told that the room package was not available, but a manager called back with an offer a bit above the ad price (total was over $200). The package included a room for 2 adults (my husband and me) and 2 children (my 5 year old daughter and her best friend), 4 water park passes, dinner, breakfast, tuck-in with milk and cookies by 2 elves and a little goody bag. Our room was clean and also had a microwave and refrigerator.
The girls and I had some fun in the water park, the staff throughout was fine, and the restaurant was okay (wouldn't go there unless it was part of the deal).
I think we paid too much (husband doesn't swim and girls eat like birds), but don't regret the trip.

Stayed December 2007
Traer, Iowa
Reviewed December 23, 2007

The hotel - is Typical... Nothing to write home about.

The Waterpark - Clean - but gets to be overcroweded as they allow non-hotel people to come in.

BUT - Your Eyes, Nose and Sinus's will be "bleached" out - as they air quality in the waterpark is horrible. We have been to many many waterparks - and never experienced it till we went to this one. So beware those w/sinus or migraine problems - you will leave with a bleach smell in your nostrils for a few days after you leave.

Been there twice - and "been there, done that" w/this place - wont go again.

GO TO the Mississippi River Museum - A MUST - this is one item that needs to be seen twice!

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank TraerIowa
Solon, Iowa
Reviewed November 24, 2007

Our family really enjoyed our stay. We stayed 2 nights over Thanksgiving and used the waterpark 3 times. My 5 year-old son loved the waterpark, it was hard to get him to take a break! My 2 year-old son was a little scared of all the noise from the falling water, but once he relaxed he also had a great time. The waterpark was well staffed and clean. There were a few water activities not working on the "treehouse", but nothing major. I think the slides were mostly for younger children , not teens. Our room was clean and comfortable. We loved the Bath and Body Works soap and shampoo. I do agree with other reviewers that said the walls seem very thin. It was noisy until about 10pm. Two elevators seems like it is way too few for a hotel that size. We didn't have any trouble with a long wait, but the hotel didn't seem very full those 2 nights. We ate a Thanksgiving Brunch in the hotel restaurant and we would say that the food was above average. I would say the value for rice paid was average. We would visit again.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — Thin walls
2 Thank Tedhose
Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Reviewed November 22, 2007

We stayed in the middle of the week during a cold month, and what a great time we had! Our room had a beautiful view of the Mississippi River; the kids loved watching barges and trains (trains on the opposite bank) go by. During warmer months the walkway at the back of the hotel must be a wonderful place to stroll (we didn't venture out in the snow). Both our room and our bathroom were neat and clean.

As first time indoor-waterpark visitors, we were thrilled with the waterpark. The shallow pool is great for toddlers (small slide, fountains, etc.). The main climbing/slide apparatus is fun for older kids (two long water slides, water cannons and dumping buckets, web climbing areas, and a big bucket that dumps a shower every few minutes). There were enough lifeguards present and they were attentive to misbehaving kids. For the bravest in your family, there is a super fast tube slide that loops around outside the hotel and then shoots you out at the bottom (inside the waterpark, of course) next to the lazy river. The tube slide is fast and gets pitch black in the middle, so it can be scary to young kids at first.

We didn’t try the hotel restaurant.

Prices at Grand Harbor Resort vary widely by type of room, day of the week and time of the year, so do your homework if you care to save money.

One advantage Grand Harbor has over many other indoor waterparks in the midwest is that it is located in an interesting town. We loved Dubuque's restaurants, architecture and cable car. And the excellent Mississippi River Museum was just a short walk from Grand Harbor.

Thanks Grand Harbor for the wonderful family vacation at a fair price!

• Liked — Waterpark was so much fun
  • Disliked — The fact that almost all staff seemed college- and high-school aged was a little worrisome (in the event that something went wrong).
2 Thank Resis
Calif.
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I had some concerns when I read the reviews here, but I was booked for work and couldn't change. I sent an e-mail about the problems with the rooms, a/c, etc., and the Chief Housekeeper replies the same day, assuring me the problems had been solved. She was right! When I checked in, the desk clerk upgraded me to a suite because I was early. The room was the cleanest I have seen anywhere, and I've stayed in a lot of top-tier hotels. I checked out a day early and the staff gave me no problems. The wireless Internet connection was very fast. The only negative I can think of is the food at the restaurant--it was pretty bland, even for a tourist place. But the view of the Mississippi River is fantastic!

• Liked — Room, staff
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business