“Adequate Splurge”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Cuba City, Wi
“Adequate Splurge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

I booked an advertised package after contacting both by phone and by e-mail. I was originally told that the room package was not available, but a manager called back with an offer a bit above the ad price (total was over $200). The package included a room for 2 adults (my husband and me) and 2 children (my 5 year old daughter and her best friend), 4 water park passes, dinner, breakfast, tuck-in with milk and cookies by 2 elves and a little goody bag. Our room was clean and also had a microwave and refrigerator.
The girls and I had some fun in the water park, the staff throughout was fine, and the restaurant was okay (wouldn't go there unless it was part of the deal).
I think we paid too much (husband doesn't swim and girls eat like birds), but don't regret the trip.

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Traer, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2007

The hotel - is Typical... Nothing to write home about.

The Waterpark - Clean - but gets to be overcroweded as they allow non-hotel people to come in.

BUT - Your Eyes, Nose and Sinus's will be "bleached" out - as they air quality in the waterpark is horrible. We have been to many many waterparks - and never experienced it till we went to this one. So beware those w/sinus or migraine problems - you will leave with a bleach smell in your nostrils for a few days after you leave.

Been there twice - and "been there, done that" w/this place - wont go again.

GO TO the Mississippi River Museum - A MUST - this is one item that needs to be seen twice!

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank TraerIowa
Solon, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

Our family really enjoyed our stay. We stayed 2 nights over Thanksgiving and used the waterpark 3 times. My 5 year-old son loved the waterpark, it was hard to get him to take a break! My 2 year-old son was a little scared of all the noise from the falling water, but once he relaxed he also had a great time. The waterpark was well staffed and clean. There were a few water activities not working on the "treehouse", but nothing major. I think the slides were mostly for younger children , not teens. Our room was clean and comfortable. We loved the Bath and Body Works soap and shampoo. I do agree with other reviewers that said the walls seem very thin. It was noisy until about 10pm. Two elevators seems like it is way too few for a hotel that size. We didn't have any trouble with a long wait, but the hotel didn't seem very full those 2 nights. We ate a Thanksgiving Brunch in the hotel restaurant and we would say that the food was above average. I would say the value for rice paid was average. We would visit again.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Tedhose
Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2007

We stayed in the middle of the week during a cold month, and what a great time we had! Our room had a beautiful view of the Mississippi River; the kids loved watching barges and trains (trains on the opposite bank) go by. During warmer months the walkway at the back of the hotel must be a wonderful place to stroll (we didn't venture out in the snow). Both our room and our bathroom were neat and clean.

As first time indoor-waterpark visitors, we were thrilled with the waterpark. The shallow pool is great for toddlers (small slide, fountains, etc.). The main climbing/slide apparatus is fun for older kids (two long water slides, water cannons and dumping buckets, web climbing areas, and a big bucket that dumps a shower every few minutes). There were enough lifeguards present and they were attentive to misbehaving kids. For the bravest in your family, there is a super fast tube slide that loops around outside the hotel and then shoots you out at the bottom (inside the waterpark, of course) next to the lazy river. The tube slide is fast and gets pitch black in the middle, so it can be scary to young kids at first.

We didn’t try the hotel restaurant.

Prices at Grand Harbor Resort vary widely by type of room, day of the week and time of the year, so do your homework if you care to save money.

One advantage Grand Harbor has over many other indoor waterparks in the midwest is that it is located in an interesting town. We loved Dubuque's restaurants, architecture and cable car. And the excellent Mississippi River Museum was just a short walk from Grand Harbor.

Thanks Grand Harbor for the wonderful family vacation at a fair price!

• Liked — Waterpark was so much fun
  • Disliked — The fact that almost all staff seemed college- and high-school aged was a little worrisome (in the event that something went wrong).
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Resis
Calif.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

I had some concerns when I read the reviews here, but I was booked for work and couldn't change. I sent an e-mail about the problems with the rooms, a/c, etc., and the Chief Housekeeper replies the same day, assuring me the problems had been solved. She was right! When I checked in, the desk clerk upgraded me to a suite because I was early. The room was the cleanest I have seen anywhere, and I've stayed in a lot of top-tier hotels. I checked out a day early and the staff gave me no problems. The wireless Internet connection was very fast. The only negative I can think of is the food at the restaurant--it was pretty bland, even for a tourist place. But the view of the Mississippi River is fantastic!

• Liked — Room, staff
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank mstimc
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2007

Sorry i did not check this site before booking. We travel and stay at hotels about 100 days per year. We chose this hotel to meet our son and his wife and child as they were attending a wedding which had its reception here.

Unreal,; no automatic doors to unload luggage, no bell service, desk to check in upstairs, 2 elevators for the whole place, wait wait and wait some more.

Rooms we had were adjoining as requested, $99 per night, no breakfast or water park pass, which was not needed anyway.

Breakfast buffet was substandard, pancakes and waffles hard as a rock, dried out eggs, coagulated gravy, dry biscuits, and inadequate temperature for holding food. (too low) Wish I had my food probe. Staff was inept, no hostess and some poor buspersoon came to try to seat us. We asked for a table NOT a booth and he kept saying a booth, right?

Much work is needed here in cleaning and management training staff. Pathetic excuse for a business. I will NEVER go there again and neither should you.

• Liked — location in Dubuque which is lovely.
  • Disliked — there was so little enthusiasm on the part of any and all staff. Dirty torn linens
  • Stayed September 2007
3 Thank WisconsinEducator
Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

The Grand Harbor Resort was not so "grand" after all. My sister and I checked in with five kids for a couple days of sightseeing in Dubuque. There were three male employees at the greeting area of the lobby, none of whom offered to get a cart or hold a door or even tell us where to find the cart. The official registration desk is for some strange reason located up a flight of stairs on the second floor. One day before our arrival date, we both received a great offer from the resort for rooms during the week for the rate of $79 per night. "Great!", we thought. But no, the offer did not apply to prior reservations, so it was just a big teaser for their customers. The bathroom had a very, very strong urine smell, the air conditioner vents were covered with black mold, the shower curtain had mildew around the bottom edges, the pillows were lumpy and old, the mattress pad did not cover the outer foot or more of the mattress, there were coffee grounds and powdered creamer on the counter in front of the microwave and the floor needed vaccuming. Now, if I were getting a room for $60 or less, then maybe I could overlook some of the above. But for $120 something a night, we expected better. To top it all off, we were rushed out of our rooms at 8:00 a.m for a bogus fire alarm, only to be told in the lobby by a maintenance crew that it was caused by a "dusty smoke alarm" which made us feel oh so safe! The complimentary breakfast was cold and the service was very slow. There was no fresh fruit to be found either, just your standard scrambled eggs, bulk sugar cereal, biscuits and white gravy sort of thing. Just a simple bowl of fresh fruit would have made a huge difference.

Now for the water park area. The water park was dirty and run down. The water had a brownish-tan tint to it, as did the walls. Granted, this could all be due to high levels of iron in the water, but there are filters for that sort of thing. The showers in the women's locker area also had black mold in the groove of the inside of the shower door. There is very little natural light coming into the water park area, so it feels cave-like and dark (some of the light bulbs were burned out.) If you have older kids, they will be bored at this water park, it is for younger children. We'll look for alternate accommodations for our next visit to Dubuque.

If you are going to Dubuque to see the Mississippi River Museum, you are in for a real treat at the museum, it's wonderful, clean, and very professionally managed! It is a must see!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — waterpark
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family