“Great place for a field trip”
Review of Sundown Mountain

Sundown Mountain
Ranked #17 of 70 things to do in Dubuque
More attraction details
Owner description: Sundown Mountain Resort in Dubuque, Iowa is one of the best Midwest ski resorts and the premier destination to take your family skiing and snowboarding this winter! Conveniently located in the heart of the Midwest, Sundown Mountain Resort attracts skiers and snowboarders of all abilities looking for their winter adventure. At Sundown Mountain, we have something for everyone; whether you are an experienced winter enthusiast or just learning how to get down the hill, Sundown Mountain offers plenty of snowy fun and an unforgettable Midwest winter experience. Sundown is a true Midwest ski resort destination offering great snow and an unforgettable winter experience.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our 5 kids had a blast as first time skiers at Sundown Mountain as they and their classmates felt safe trying to make it down the hillsides without falling. And if they did fall? They just got up and tried it again. Like the waves of an ocean, a hillside of snow is an endless toy.

Stephanie G, Manager at Sundown Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Joan,

Thank you for the review! The hillside of snow is truly an "endless toy" for us as well. We are glad that we can share our passion for skiing and snowboarding with others. Hope to see you all on the slopes at Sundown soon!

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Sundown is better than Chestnut....less crowded, more variety, better prices. However the lodge/rental house is very dated and a bit smelly. But, skiing is better at Sundown. Worth checking out! No comparison to Wisconsin resorts but how can you even compare the areas in regards to landscape?

1  Thank Briggie1981

Hey Briggie - Thanks for the comments!

Sundown is excited to be in the process of building a brand new lodge in the next upcoming seasons! This summer Sundown started the process off by leveling and building up areas of the parking lot. We also moved and added major electrical components to start the process... There should be no more "stinky" lodges (as you mentioned) by the time we are through. :)

We appreciate your thoughts in regards to our great snow quality. We have top of the line snow guns that make snow efficiently and more powerful than ever before. Even the most experienced riders have a hard time telling if the snow is real or artificial. We continue to add to our fleet of snow machines each year!

We look forward to seeing you out at Sundown in the future. Be sure to stop by the North Lodge on a Saturday afternoon between 2-6p.m. for live music overlooking the beautiful Midwest scenery!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Really! Stollen property while paying $65 to ski here! Never again! The food was over priced and poor service . We lost a $150 pair of boots and were offered no way of securing them. My daughter worked hard to pay for boots that were stollen! My youngest will be offered a trip there in middle school and I will say no!

2  Thank Maggie H

Maggie -

We are sorry that your daughter had a less than optimal experience at Sundown. We offer basket rentals in the N.Lodge Gift Shoppe and lockers in the Mountain Top Lodge for people to store equipment when not in use. We have surveillance cameras placed throughout the buildings to decrease risk of theft.

Unfortunately, there are bad people everywhere and although we can't stop that, we can try to make it better... and that is why we have a report book in the Gift Shoppe where people give details of their misplaced items. The necessary footage is then reviewed... I am hoping you and your daughter were aware of this.

As far as the food service, we are again sorry for your dissatisfaction. We try to keep our prices reasonable and compared to other area resorts, we are the most affordable around. Our customers are always welcomed to bring a brown bag lunch as well.

We value the fun, family atmosphere we provide for our customers (as other reviews have shown). Hopefully you will get in touch with us (563.556.6676) and have your issues resolved so your son can experience a fun day on the slopes as well.

Thanks

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The kids love Sundown, but other than that there is something left to be desired. When we go, we always pack a lunch or leave for lunch. I would not recommend eating or even going into the clubhouse/bar area. I don't think it has been updated since I was a kid and went skiing there 20 years ago.

2  Thank MikeandCarrie
Reviewed May 29, 2012

A water skier trying to learn to snowski isn't easy for either the skier or instructor by luckily for me I ended up at Sundown for my inaugural run.I was fortunate to have a group ski lesson with Dennis but even more fortunate to meet his wife and fellow instructor, Valetta, with whom I booked a private lesson later. There is a definite talent to being an instructor and she has it with her patience and little tricks & tweaks. I realize you might be saying all instructors should be like that and they should…but you know how some people just naturally have certain qualities of teaching and making adjustments? It’s this kind of attention that most impressed me about Valetta.

Actually, as I practiced over the 2 days I observed some of the other Sundown instructors and was very impressed with their repoire with the other students. I attribute this to a great Ski School Director who hires quality ski school instructors. They need to do a quick assessment of each student’s ability and comfort level (many times without the student really knowing it) to determine the best instructor or group for them. Just as a hospital is only as good as the doctors and a university as their professors so Sundown is only as good as it’s instructors. All the instructors, no matter their age, gender, skill level, skill type, expertise or personality, seemed to be genuinely interested in connecting with and getting the students to love the sport as much as they do.

There is definite frustration that can come from learning a new skill and I saw my share of this on the faces of others (many who didn't take lessons). It just seems like the lessons are an investment in the experience whether they are a beginner or a refresher course. Learning properly the skills and techniques is well worth the time and I highly recommend taking a class at Sundown because the instructors are great. But, I would highly, highly, highly recommend Valetta!! I definitely plan on returning next winter and absolutely booking a session with her. I know she will take the time to refresh my skills and keep me on the focused track.

1  Thank travelisfabulous