“From underground”
Review of Crystal Lake Cave

Crystal Lake Cave
Ranked #9 of 67 things to do in Dubuque
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I like the cave itself and it showed some very interesting things and how people lived back in the day.

1  Thank Kevin A

Reviewed August 5, 2013

A bit out of the way, but a nice time spent. Interesting cave, nice tour, plenty of parking. I'd say this cave is on par with most caves I've been in (and that's lots), but a bit smaller. Guide was good, but a bit hard to hear if you're near the back of the pack. Stairs and narrow areas, so if you have some movement difficulties this isn't a good place for you. The gift shop was also on par with most "cave gift shops"; but that's okay because there were lots of interesting things to look it. If you're in the area, stop by; probably wouldn't drive a huge distance though. Cave tour lasts about 45 minutes.

3  Thank travelingtaster123
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went here with my sister and her family. Two 13 year old, a boy and girl, both enjoyed this very much. We were impressed at how close you are to the sides of the cave. There were some very tight spaces and sometimes you had to duck. I would recommend this to people of all ages. Remember to bring a jacket, even in the summer.

2  Thank Misty J
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Went here on a whim. Found it very interesting. They only thing I would recommend is not wearing new shoes! There is a fair amount of water you walk thru. I learned a lot about the cave.

1  Thank Judy P
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Advice: WEAR CLOSED TOE SHOES! Not flip flops!!! The floor does get wet and have some puddles. Went here today with some friends. Expected a little more for the price we paid ($14 per adult) - the group of our tour was kind of large (maybe 10-15 people) and since we were towards the back of course we weren't able to hear much of what the tour guide said (although I know he tried his best). There were several babies/toddlers making extra noise too. There are some labeled formations, and many that are labeled after what they look like (St Johns Cathedral, Noah's Ark, the Ostrich, the Dog, the Bird, etc). I believe it was about a 30 minute tour. Luckily we only had to wait in the gift shop for 5 minutes before the tour began. Would I go back again? Probably not. After this I'm wondering how the other caves in the midwest compare. If I could give them constructive criticism I would suggest keeping tour sizes small, have a more engaging/enthusiastic tour guide who seems excited to be giving the tour, revamp the gift shop and outdoor bathrooms, and add a nice blacktop parking lot.

2  Thank LikeToExploreAround

Been to Crystal Lake Cave? Share your experiences!