“Beatiful formations and nice gift shop with very animated staff!”
Review of Crystal Lake Cave

Crystal Lake Cave
Ranked #11 of 67 things to do in Dubuque
Cumming, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beatiful formations and nice gift shop with very animated staff!”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Being our third cavern in a week this by far outshined the others! The young kids running the shop were very friendly and knowledgable. The shop had current and interesting gifts and the formations in the cave were beautiful and in plenty! Well worth the money and the drive. They even allow small dogs if you carry them and if they are well-behaved!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank iafoxyhound

Montrose
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 228 helpful votes
“UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL TO THE STALAGMITES”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

This was a great tour, been to such caves before but they are wider and everything further away. This cave is very much walking through a crevace with stalagmites etc. like ivory and onyx this close up. Guide, Alan, was very good and full of information about the cave.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank JstarkScotland
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“This Cave is a Must See!!! Our family Loved it.”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My parents took me to this cave in the late 70's when I was little. We traveled from Chicago and spent the weekend in Dubuque. I remembered the cave the most since we spent a whole day there and had a family picnic/barbeque at the cave park. We had fun.
I revisited this last summer (30 years later) and brought my 3 children, to my amazement the cave and park were exactly as I remembered. My family had a great time and again spent the day and had a picnic in the park after going through the cave. The cave is so beautiful, crystals every where you look, words can't describe. My 3 kids eyes were so huge through the entire tour. We bought a lot of gifts at the cave gift shop, they have some very unique gifts. The management and guide were very friendly and helpful. The park was very well maintained and clean. It was like stepping back in time. It is so difficult to find places these days that are so family friendly and affordable. If I had to complain about 1 thing it would only be that the tour guide show more interest and excitement, but I would not hold this against the cave since I myself am a business owner and know how hard good help is to find today. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this attraction a 9. I would recommend Crystal Lake Cave to everyone.

Visited September 2010
5 Thank NotCoopedUp
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Could have been much better if the guide hadn't sucked.”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Relatively interesting cave, but the guide, a young man in his early 20s, was seriously challenged in the area of people skills. He exuded an air of boredom, didn't make eye contact, recited his memorized spiel adequately, and moved on. If asked a question, he responded with one-word answers. He'd be much better suited to a career where human interaction wasn't required. The cave is chilly, bring a sweatshirt or light jacket, and not suitable for real large people. Lots of puddles so wear closed-toe shoes.

2 Thank JodyLerner
Iowa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“This could be a really cool place if they would change 2 things.”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is a smaller cave than many I've visited; however, the more rustic approach, with narrow passages, low overhangs and walking through puddles, gives it a fun and different experience from larger and more commercialized caves. It has a lot of potential. However, the experience was sadly dismal, due to two things. Both could be easily corrected:
1. The guide. The high school kid knew his lines well, but he showed absolutely no enthusiasm and his presentation skills were horrible. Having a guide who acted like he cared would change the experience dramatically. I realize the budget is tight; but at least find high school kids who have good presentation skills and are eager & enthusiastic. The kid at the cash register who took our $24 (2 tickets) was equally unwelcoming.
2. Flashlights. Groups follow the guide single file through the entire cave. The guide shines his flashlight into a side crevice and talks about it. Only the first 3 people in line can see it. Then the guide walks on. By the time person 4+ gets to that place, the spot is absolute darkness and you cannot see what was spoken about. Every 4th person should be loaned a flashlight during the tour, so they can see what the first 3 people in line got to see.
I would like to recommend this attraction, but I can't until management makes these very simple, but very important adjustments.

4 Thank Kay27

Been to Crystal Lake Cave? Share your experiences!