“Excellent, Must See Museum!”

National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
Ranked #2 of 70 things to do in Dubuque
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium features the culture, creatures and history of our the Mississippi and all our nation's rivers through dynamic exhibits and twelve large aquariums housed in two main centers. The impressive 14-acre riverfront campus includes a connecting plaza, a 3D/4D theater, boatyard, on-site dining options, and more! DIVE IN for a visit to the Museum & Aquarium, where fun & learning flow together!
Reviewed October 20, 2013

As I planned our weekend in Dubuque, I was told to make sure we visited the National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium. I wasn't sure what to expect and thought it would just be a fun stop. We ended up spending three and a half hours at the museum! The exhibits were all very interesting and the indoor/outdoor plan of the museum was very cool. My husband loved looking at the outdoor displays of the boat machinery and we really enjoyed walking around the grounds. Make sure to walk to the other end of the property and climb up to the top of the boat. We had a great time and plan to go back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,325)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our afternoon was relaxing at the museum. There is so much to see and learn about the rivers, wetlands, ocean, and all bodies of water. Also loved the turtle exhibit going on right now & exploring the old paddle boat. No feeling rushed or crowded. You can take as little or much times as you want. The pass that you buy if for 2 days. If you are in the Dubuque area, this is a must stop.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This museum focuses on river marine life. There was lots of turtles, an alligator, steamboat exhibits and a ship building room. Very enjoyable. Loved that we walked between 2 buildings. One more aquarium and the other more museum.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is an awesome museum and Aquarium. Very educational, clean and fun. First time I saw the face of a stingray up close and personally. They're kind of cute, like little ghost with teeth. It is well worth the price of a ticket. Loved it.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I grew up on the Mississippi, Have operated my own small craft on every inch from St, Paul to New Orleans, Hunted. Fished. I STILL LEARNED FROM THIS MUSEUM. Just there with grand-kids. They love it.