“A little voyage”

American Lady Cruises
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I went here after Catfish Charlie's (which is by Mystique Casino). A great experience, and I would highly recommend it for couples.

4  Thank Kayla S
in 7 reviews
"sloppy"
"diane"

Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

I went on this cruise 2 years ago and had a horrible experience...literally the worst in my life. So when I saw mutual friends had booked this for a weekend treat, I thought "its been 2 years..give them the benefit of the doubt"
I was wrong. If they could have been any ruder they were. The seating uncomfortable. There was another party that was very drunk that spilled beer that someone in our party slipped on. They have these extremely large wolf spiders the size of quarters (without the legs) that crawl out from all over at night. I wanted to jump off the boat. I'm sure the owners wanted us to also....when my friends complained, the owner said "too bad ...what do you expect????" The next time I see myself anywhere near the American Lady or their affiliated restaurant Catfish Charlie's I will feign food poisoning and escape.

8  Thank atticus5335
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We took the 7:00 cruise on the American Lady...Food from Catfish Charlies was excellent...spent time with the captain after dinner...it was a beautiful night on the river.

4  Thank Marsha S
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We took an American Lady dinner cruise and our experience was horrible.

FIrst of all, the people that run this operation are extremely poor communicators. We were taking a trip in the late spring of 2009 and booked a dinner cruise in April. The lady who took the reservation assured us there wouldn't be a problem. We called ahead several times to see if anything had changed. We were told we were all set. When we arrived in Dubuque, we called to confirm our reservation and we couldn't find anyone to talk with. We were told "The boat isn't even in the water this year yet." Which makes sense, but why wasn't this shared prior to this late date? Whoever I spoke with offered a "free hors d'hoerve" from Catfish Charlies, but I didn't want to ride all the way to Dubuque just for that.

The next year, in the early summer of 2010, we again made reservations on the American Lady dinner cruise leaving from Dubuque, Iowa. This time we visited in June. We called ahead of time again to try to make sure there were no changes, and we were unable to reach anyone. We showed up anyway, deciding that in early June in good weather, there shouldn't be any problems. It turned out we were 2 of only 4 people on the entire boat of approximately 90+ people that weren't in a wedding party. This wouldn't have been so bad, except they were extremely loud and rowdy, used the PA system all night, and occupied the entire boat except for the 2 chairs we managed to find. We were completely overrun by this wedding party. We couldn't talk because we couldn't hear each other, there were people taking chairs from our table and spilling beer on our food. I don't fault the wedding party - they were having a good time. I do fault the company for not letting us know when we booked the ride that we were 2 seats on a primarily wedding party charter. They didn't tell us this, when we had other choices of nights and we could have easily arranged another night.

As a result, we spent an unhappy evening waiting to get back to shore. To end the unhappy evening, there were extremely large spiders that apparently come out after the sun sets and they kept dropping on us. I don't know what can be done about that, but it definitely was the icing on a very unfortunate cake.

When we got back to shore, we tried to talk to several people in person, then by phone, then we e-mailed, to try to get a portion of our money returned. They did not bother to answer, except in one e-mail that was extremely terse and rude.

We are never going to take an American Lady cruise from Dubuque Iowa again!

14  Thank atticus5335