“Too bad”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Hot & Spicy Grill
Cuisines: Indian
Description: It is very new. News article: http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=292085
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My dining experience was a delight. Hot sauce on demand. Typically, lots of chicken. Helpful wait staff. BUT, I recently heard that the biz is for sale or to be closed. What a shame, Dubuque will miss this restaurant.
Thank you and good luck.
Please return !!!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can only comment on the lunch buffet as I do not plan to ever eat there again.

As others have noted, the lunch buffet food is insufficiently spiced and bland. There is a "hot sauce" (some sort of chutney, I think) which is not very hot.

On our visit, the meat choices were vegetables, chicken, chicken, and chicken, with little actual chicken in the better curries. The rice choices were good.

It is possible that the a la carte dinner choices are better. The lunch buffet is awful and not worth $10.

More positively, it is BYOB (which might help distract one from the mediocre food---unfortunately, I neglected to bring booze.)

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I love Indian food and have it any chance I can. The years before we had Hot and Spicy, I would take the occasional Indian cooking class here in Dubuque, make it at home or enjoy it when I was out of town. I come to hot and spicy lunch buffet a couple of times a month. Sometimes it's better than others. I always enjoy my visit with the owner. If you want more spice they have sauces to add. When it's good, it's really good and when it's just average I still leave feeling full and happy. This small business is with supporting.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have heard bad reviews about this restaurant from my Indian friends. Yet I wanted to try it once.

With very low expectation, we went on a Saturday noon for the lunch buffet. I was very happy to see so many dishes and started to wonder why people complained about the food. But when I started to eat, I realized the reason. The biriyani was bland. None of the side dishes were good. The naan was hard. The food was really bad. I didn't expect it to be authentic. At least it should taste good. But it didn't. 3 of us went and none of us liked the food. We don't care much about the ambiance and decor when the food itself doesn't taste good.

If you want to try Indian food, this is not the right place.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went to Hot and Spicy with family yesterday, despite being tepid about Indian food, especially when it comes from a buffet. My experience in the past with buffet food of this type is that it all tastes the same and the meats tend to be dry. So with pretty low expectations I made my way to the buffet line. WOW!!! The flavors were rich and so good. The chicken in each entree I tried was moist and delicious. My favorite was chicken mehti muhti, a creamy yogurt and tomato based sauce that was perfect with the naan. Try the breads, they are great. Now, I can't wait to go back. This restaurant is a new local gem. The owner was such a gracious host as well.