“Don't be fooled...”

Champps Americana
Ranked #22 of 210 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The slightly irreverent attitude has become our calling card over the years, doing things the way we always have regardless of convention. We're still making fresh hand-crafted burgers, roasting our own turkey and chicken, slow-basting our falling-off-the-bone-tender ribs, and hiring the friendliest people to be part of our team. Why bother? Because bigger and better isn't just an attitude. It's a commitment to everyone who comes through our door.The party is still going strong today. The burgers are still huge, the beer is still cold and with 30 draught beers and 30 flat-screens, we're the best place to watch the game!
Reedsville, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't be fooled...”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I usually prefer not to eat at a restaurant attached to a hotel due to the mediocre food. Champps, however, was a nice surprise. We decided to eat here while staying at the Best Western Plus rather than head out in some severe thunderstorms our second evening. It has a full menu with many great selections and it was actually hard to make a choice (finally went with the pulled pork). The food was great and each dish had a touch to make it unique. The atmosphere was typical of a sports bar and the beer selection was average. The service was great and prices were reasonable. It was very busy on a Thursday night and apparently a popular local restaurant. Overall, we were happy to have eaten here!

• Visited May 2013

Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“General Manager Needs a Lesson of Customer Courtesy”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just recently attended CHAMPS for Mothers Day and our first visit ever. The food is below par and not worth the price, I only ate it because I was starving from playing golf all morning.

Next, I have just returned from Afghanistan to spend mothers day with my mom ( a woman who has raised two Marines). Champs was busy when we arrived but 15 min into service the place was dead, maybe two other families in the place. We had reservations at 1:30 and ordered our food at 1:45. In the process of waiting for our food my mothers wine glass went empty and stayed empty until our food arrived at 2:25 along with my fathers beer and my water. A water! I had to take my wife's water in order to have something to drink until our food arrived. We finished our food and attempted to pay our bill but had to find someone to give us our bill. My mother found the manager.

This is where is gets worse, my mother complained about the service and the manager argued with her about her complaints and offered the General Manager to talk to since she was there. As my mother explained to the General Manager about the service so too argued with my mother rather than asking how they can fix the situation since there was an 18% gratuity (don't get me wrong I agree with this for large groups IF they do their job), if the place is busy then I would have given them the benefit of the doubt and agreed that they were busy.

My mothers complaints went unresolved with just the General Manager and the regular Manager retaliating and treating my mother like a criminal. Let alone after treating my mother like this on mothers day they informed us that they charged us the wrong amount, they charged us $80 short of the actual bill.

We paid our bill and will never return

If the General Manager reads this I would like to say to you:

Your corporate office will hear about this, also the reason that no one else at the table complained to you is because we thought if anyone should complain it should be the person paying the bill (our parents). At least we had the intent of not causing a scene to bad you made it one, I am sure your corporate office will not share the same view you had.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank None O
Bellevue, Iowa
“Worthwhile”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Nice atmosphere that is pleasing to the eyes. Friendly people and lively surroundings. Food is recommended.

Visited November 2012
Lancaster
“Full menu”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

There's plenty of fun choices on this menu. Prices are reasonable, food is good. The waitstaff is attentive and the dining room is clean.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Tasty!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The breakfast buffet was SO delicious! We enjoyed lunch and dinner here during our visit to DBQ. Everything was delicious. The portions were large enough to share.

Visited August 2012