“Breakfast was a bargain, and the service was outstanding!”

Caroline's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 208 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Maryville, IL
“Breakfast was a bargain, and the service was outstanding!”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Hotel Julien for a family wedding, and we enjoyed breakfast at Caroline's each morning. The wait staff and hostess were extremely flexible and accommodating in allowing various family members and friends who were all staying the the Hotel and coming down for breakfast at different times to join other parties, share tables, add extra chairs, etc. It felt like we were all one big happy family, which we were! The breakfast prices were reasonable, and the food portions were very generous and delicious.

• Visited February 2011

Dubuque, Iowa
“Amazing atmosphere and food that is to die for!”
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I have dined at Caroline's 5 times and each time was amazing! I have had a huge tasty burger and fries for lunch that was very filling. For dinner my favorite has to be, White Lasagna Blanco Florentine. It is a lasagna with a creamy white sauce, spinach, chicken, and bacon, topped with melted cheese. Most entree's come with soup or salad (my choice) and your choice of a side. The red mashed potatoes are to die for! I have never found any that taste better than Caroline's! The service is very friendly and helpful. They served our courses in a timely manner that allowed us to enjoy it but not be rushed or waiting for the next course. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody as it is my favorite sit down restaurant in Dubuque.

The Longhorn State
“Pricey”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

With the economy being rough, it was nice to see my wife and I could both dine for under $80.

Wisconsin
“Enjoyed dining experience...will visit again.”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I have been wanting to try out this place for awhile. We ate here for dinner. When we arrived the hostess was on the phone, so it took a few minutes to get seated. Which was fine, but seemed a bit unorganized to me. It was really busy so it took awhile for our waiter to get to us. We had a free coupon for an appetizer, which saved us $8.00. We ordered the Nacho Supreme and that was excellent. We were given sun dried tomato bread with flavored olive oil for dipping. This was really good, I loved the flavors. We both enjoyed the house salad, which had nice dark greens. I got the Prosciutto Wrapped Haddock for my entree and my husband got the special which was Prime Rib. I thought that my entree was a bit on the dry side and felt that the flavor was lacking. My husband enjoyed his entree. We both loved the mashed red potatoes and mixed vegetables. For dessert we had the strawberry shortcake, which was ok but not the best I have ever had. I probably would not order it again. They space out the courses, which my husband and I prefer. You don't feel stuffed by the end of you meal.

The decor in the restaurant is beautiful. I did not like our seating. We were sat in between two separate couples, we were all very close to one another. It was a bit uncomfortable and my husband and I felt that we couldn't enjoy a decent conversation without our privacy being invaded. They did have booths and tables that were a bit more private. They did have a couple of larger tables for larger groups, which I think was a good idea. However, it also wasted a lot of space.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Not So Good”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I stopped for lunch on a Saturday. We were poured water and ordered. My husband decided on a Whiskey Steak wrap with a potato salad side and I ordered a Smokey Bleu chicken sandwich with potato salad also. The waitress came back in about 5 minutes to tell us that the potato salad was in the process of being made and was unavailable. We also overheard her telling a table next to us that 2 other items on the lunch menu were unavailable.

Our food arrived in about 15 minutes. My husband was served a Whiskey Steak salad instead of a wrap. He decided it was about the same as the wrap and began to eat it. It was basically lettuce, some red onion, a few small chunks of blue cheese and some strips of steak. The steak had an odd smell and was only slightly warmed. The salad came with no dressing! When the waitress came back, he ordered some dressing. Again we heard the waitress tell a table nearby that the salad came with only blue cheese and no dressing. Who ever heard of a salad with no dressing? At least on the side? My sandwich was ok. The pasta salad, a substitute for the potato salad I really wanted, was served in a small bowl swimming in a creamy dressing. Again, not what I would have expected. The chicken on the sandwich was grilled but a little on the dry side. There was some overcooked ham on the top and the very smallest sampling of the blue cheese dressing. I was disappointed, to say the least.

Just about half way into the meal, the waitress came back and announced in a loud voice, what about the wrap? As my husband didn't want to make a fuss originally, he was somewhat embarassed as everyone turned to look to see what was going on. The waitress ended up reconciling the bill to account for the difference in price between the wrap and salad, but I can tell you honestly that this wasn't a very pleasant lunch.

Honestly, we most likely will never visit Caroline's again.

2 Thank lululame