“Breakfast”

Caroline's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 207 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very nice. Food is incredibly priced and more than we could finish. Wait staff and hostess - excellent.

Visited December 2012
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Caroline's Restaurant, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Kathy C,

Thank you very kindly for your positive comments regarding breakfast at Caroline's Restaurant. And it is most appreciative of you to recognize the friendly and hard work of the servers and hostess staff; they will be thrilled to read of your comments.

Plenty to eat, yes, no one really gets away from breakfast at Caroline's still looking for another piece of toast or muffin.

We hope to see you soon for breakfast, or lunch and dinner. New menus were introduced this week.

The Staff and Management of Caroline's Restaurant and Hotel Julien Dubuque

Bettendorf
“Pretty good food, less than stellar service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I haven't eaten at this restaurant since before the remodel, when it was called The Alte Glocke. Back then it was on its last legs and failing fast. Much has changed since then. Its not without its problems but a little more attention to detail and this could easily be a five star restaurant. The decor has much improved with the renovation. I was glad to see that they kept the stained glass windows but put them on the walls which allowed for a lot more light to come in through the windows. Nice touch.
We arrived at around 12:30 for lunch. The staff was very friendly as they seated us and took our orders. The menu is limited as many of the other reviewers stated but not too bad. There's a little bit for everyone on it. It took a very long time for our food to arrive and the staff stopped to apologize for it, stating that they'd had a large rush all of a sudden. Hard to believe since the restaurant was less than half full when we arrived and maybe one other party arrived after us.
I ordered the mac and cheese which the menu stated was in a Morney sauce with spinach. I love spinach so asked for extra spinach when I ordered. When the mac and cheese arrived there was not a bit of spinach in sight. There were a few green flakes that looked like the dish was sprinkled with parsley but when the menu states that there is spinach in a dish I expect there to be actual spinach, not a garnish, and the fact that I ordered extra spinach should not have been missed. I pointed this out to the waitress and she happily brought me a side of sauteed spinach. The mac and cheese itself was delicious. It was baked just right with a nice smooth sauce and just enough fine crumb topping. Very good. I'd order it again but would make sure to specify that I want spinach in it. The side dishes that come with there were all heavy on the carbs (potato salad, french fries, etc) and since mac and cheese has enough of that already I asked if I could get a small side salad instead. The waitress was more than happy to accommodate me. Unfortunately she forgot what dressing I ordered (oil and vinegar on the side) and didn't come back to check so she asked me about it when she brought out food. I would have preferred to have my salad before my entree instead of after but it was worth the wait. It was a mix of the most delicious greens, diced cucumber (much nicer in a salad than slices), red onion and a couple of cherry tomatoes with not even a hint of iceberg. I could taste a delightful little tang of English sorrel and other greens that are not normally served in restaurant salads. I would go back just for the salad. It was that good.
My daughter ordered the make your own salad and she enjoyed hers as well. She ordered the spinach for a base and was able to add in her own toppings, up to 6 I believe. She enjoyed her salad but was disappointed that the strawberries she ordered did not make an appearance. Again, I mentioned this to the waitress and she happily got my daughter a side of strawberries. Again it would have been better to have it done right the first time but my daughter did eventually get her strawberries.
My other daughter ordered the spaghetti squash. She said it was good but it was very heavy on sauce and cheese and light on spaghetti squash. The menu said that it came with a portobello mushroom. It actually came with 3 small strips of portobello mushroom. Not too bad but if you're expecting a whole cap you'll be disappointed. Both her entree and mine came with 2 teardrop shaped bread wedges with parmesan, which were pretty good.
My grandmother ordered a half turkey and sprout sandwhich and a cup broccoli soup. She enjoyed both. The sandwhich looked like it had a lot of sprouts on it.
My husband ordered the fish and chips and was not impressed with it. He said it was good but not as good as he's had at other places.
I liked the nice sized cloth napkins and dining room was nice and quiet.
Otehr than the long wait for our food and the problems with getting our orders right this was a pretty good restaurant. I'd give it another try and I'd recommend it. If the staff starts to pay more attention to the little details then this could easily earn 5 stars.

• Visited January 2013
Dear J B,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Caroline's Restaurant. Your comments will be shared with the staff, both front of house and heart of house in order to prevent these incidents from reoccurring to future guests of the restaurant.

Caroline's introduced a new menu this week that features a wider array of selections, and the most popular of the past menu. Initial feedback this week has been very positive on the new selections for lunch and dinner.

We look forward to your next visit.

The Staff and Management of Hotel Julien and Caroline's Restaurant
Geneva, Illinois
“Big Things Come in Small Packages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

When we arrived at the Hotel Julien Dubuque, we peeked into Caroline's and thought, "It's probably OK, but it's a hotel restaurant, so let's see what else we can find in town." A snowstorm changed our mind on our second evening, and after having chatted with the friendly staff a few times as we were coming and going over our stay, we decided to "eat in" at Caroline's, first for breakfast, which was everything breakfast should be: fresh, homemade, and comforting with plenty of good, hot coffee. Dinner that evening was excellent. The atmosphere was very cozy, with soft Christmas music pumping throughout and roomy booths and tables. My husband ordered the filet, and I tried a few different appetizers. Our 8 year-old went right for the macaroni and cheese, and wasn't disappointed. Being a "steak guy," my husband's eyes nearly popped out of his head from the first bite of his filet...it was one of the best steaks he'd eaten, perfetly prepared and seared just right. My appetizers were each so flavorful and rich that I wanted to eat them all even though I was beyond full. The restuarant staff gave excellent service and you really felt welcomed and taken care of, not just as a customer, but as a guest of theirs. We were so pleasantly suprised at how very good the food was that we came back a second night of our stay (I wanted to try the steak for myself) and enjoyed the same food quality and hospitality the second time. I sampled their chicken and mushroom soup with a cheesey tang (I believe it was greyure) that was easily the best soup I've had in years. When we couldn't possibly eat any more, they sent us off with homemade banana bread for when we had a bit more room later on. We both agreed that no one should put this restaurant into the "hotel restaurant" stereotype. It was excellent!

Visited December 2012
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Caroline's Restaurant, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear George C,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your breakfast visit to Caroline's Restaurant.

It is a pleasure to read of your experience and kind words. The filet is one of the more popular items on the menu. Caroline's will be introducing new menu selections for lunch and dinner within the next few weeks.

Your comments will be shared with the team!

We look forward to seeing you very soon!

The Staff and Management of Hotel Julien
“My new favorite place to dine, full of class and quality.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I have dined here several times this past year, always having a great experience. The atmosphere is great, the staff is polite, and the food has been top notch. I haven't found a better place around for steak or seafood!! The place is clean, and appetizers and entrees were delivered promptly. We love this place and recommend it to all our friends in the area!

HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Caroline's Restaurant, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear hankmarcino,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Caroline's Restaurant.

It is a pleasure to read of your experience and kind words.

Your comments will be shared with the team!

We look forward to seeing you very soon!

The Staff and Management of Hotel Julien Dubuque
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great food, but not the most professional staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hostess was all over the place coughing into her hands by customers etc. then touching people's menus and glasses to refill the water! Good way of spreading germs.

The restaurant was beautiful but not kept clean- dust hanging from the ornate walls between the two seating areas (you can see through them), dust hanging from the ceiling. Most of the staff were young teenager with their shirts half way untucked and pants hanging like they were part of a street gang. Good thing the food was awesome! Great, great food! I repeat- great food!

Visited November 2012
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Caroline's Restaurant, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Charlie F,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit. Our sincere apology for the less than stellar service that you experienced. Rest assured that this was an isolated incident, and not reflective of the many that visit Caroline's.

Sometimes dedication may make all of us do what we think is the right thing, though the results may be negative. I believe that our team member may have felt that by staying at home, they would be letting down their fellow teammates, and potentially cause service disruption to our dining guests. Truth be told, we need to ensure that our team members place the wellness of the team and guests first.

Your feedback was shared with the team in order to prevent this from occurring again. We value each and every guest's feedback and always react appropriately.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your food so much that you mention it twice in your review.

Happy Belated Anniversary!

We look forward to your next visit.

The Team of Hotel Julien Dubuque and Caroline's Restaurant

We look forward to seeing you again.

The Team At Hotel Julien Dubuque and Caroline's Restaurant