Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was amazed that a Holiday Inn Express Suite hotel would provide so much value, as much as the higher end main brand hotels provided by Sheraton, Marriott and Holiday Inn. The hotel was new, well designed, efficient, clean, offered a friendly, knowledgeable staff that provided a cold bottle water at check in or whenever you asked, the rooms were large, well designed using high end materials such as granite bathrooms and showers, high end pillow top mattresses, soft pillows and sheets. My Queen Suite had two flat panel TVs with High Def viewing and premium channels, WiFi and high speed internet. The hotel also offered a great work out area and an indoor pool and spa. The hot and cold breakfast that was included with the room price each morning was convenient and cost effective. The complimentary coffee that was provided 24/7 was fresh, great tasting and convenient. The hotel's concierge service included excellent ideas on places to visit and things to do in the tri-state area. The marketing & sales staff were doing their job by negotiating a long list of top restaurants (multiple cuisines) offering discounts of 10-20% to Holiday Inn Express Suites clients. Hats off to Shawn at the front desk for a job well done. Your recommendation to visit Catfish Charlies Restaurant & Bar for Catfish, Walleye, Steaks & California Wines while overlooking the beautiful Mississippi River served as a perfect ending to a great trip to scenic and historical Dubuque! The hotel is perfect for families, individuals and for business or pleasure. To close, the hotel staff should take a bow!

Doug - Dana Point, California

Room Tip: Pay the extra dollars for a Queen or King Suite, it provides a bit more room to stretch out.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ScottInSoCal
Lynette M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here in Dubuque. We take great pride in providing our guests with the finest amenities and hospitality. We are also happy that you were able to take advantage of the ever-growing list of area restaurants who provide exclusive discounts to our guests. Your comments with be passed along to Shawn and the rest of the staff and we hope you visit us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

I come to Dubuque fairly often on business and usually stay on Dodge Street. I thought I would give this hotel and try and I am glad I did. From the moment I walked in I felt welcome. The front desk staff was friendly and funny and very helpful. On the way to my room the first thing I noticed was how nice and clean everything is. It almost looks brand new - I was surprised to find out it is 3 or 4 years old. The room was also immaculate. It was also nice and roomy and the bed was very comfortable. I was glad to see a refrigerator in the room as I do have some medication that needs to be kept cool. I was very pleased with the WiFi. It was easy to connect and about as fast as I have seen in a hotel. Breakfast in the morning was your basic free buffet - but all of the food looked very fresh and was tasty. The breakfast attendant was very friendly and seemed to be working hard to make sure everything was well stocked. Getting on the road in the morning was a real treat as I didn't have to deal with all of the stoplights and Dodge street traffic. I made it to my first appointment in about half of the time it normally takes me. I forgot to mention something that is very nice. My company doesn't allow me to expense any drinks but the hotel provided me two drink tickets for the sports bar across the street. For me that's like putting and extra $7 or $8 in my pocket. Also there were a lot of choices of places to eat nearby. I will be back on my next trip.

Room Tip: I just had a standard room with a king bed and was great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve F
Lynette M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you so much for choosing us. We are so glad you decided to give us a chance. We do our best to provide all of our guests with a perfect guest experience. Our staff will appreciate your great comments and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area. Thanks for the great review.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Wife and I were here for 1 night on stop over. We were on 3 1/2 week road trip through US. She still says this was the best night of sleep she had!! Beds were TERRIFIC. It was quiet and AC was tremendous. Best part was front desk person. She was new (forget name). Went out of her way to make us welcome. I was reading in lobby and she even asked if I wanted her to turn music down!! Excellent room amenities, clean and super shower pressure too. We really enjoyed the stay and would return if in area.

Room Tip: Top floor so no one above. Ask for non-main road side too!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

We are so glad we were able to provide you with a memorable stay. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the staff. Thank you for kind words taking the time to share your guest experience.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed here during a recent vacation. The hotel itself is beautiful and all areas,(even the parking lot) are well maintained. My room was clean,quiet,and comfortable,and the staff,from manager to housekeepers, made me feel welcome and appreciated.
Big thanks to Front Office Manager Jeremy. I used a third party site to book my stay,and they messed up my reservation and room rates.(I didn't find this out until check-in) .Even though the mistake was not the fault of the Holiday Inn, Jeremy resolved the problem within (literally) 2-3 minutes of my arrival.
The breakfast was very good.They have something for everyone,and they work hard to keep the items replenished.The Hotel is close to downtown and minutes from most of the major local attractions
All in all,I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in the Dubuque area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
We are pleased to view your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is nice to read your favorable remarks that the hotel itself is “beautiful” and that it is “well maintained”. We accommodate many guests and our goal is to make the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Dubuque IA the hotel of choice for our guests. I am also pleased to know that Jeremy resolved your reservation issues immediately. We try our best to resolve issues in a timely manner and appreciate you acknowledging these efforts. Thank you again for your overall impressions, we look forward to accommodating you again while in the Dubuque area.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our room was nice and what we have come to expect with the brand. The pool area was also nice. Several dining and shopping options nearby. We were on the Arterial side so at times it was noisy but no big deal. The only reason we aren't rating a 5 is no crib in our room despite calling a few days in advance. For the record, I can only think of one hotel that it has been in the room prior to our arrival. We weren't upset or anything. We would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you! Comments from our guest help us to improve our service and your observations will definitely be used in the future to help impress our guests. Your time to write is greatly appreciated and we hope to host you again the next time your travels bring you back to the Dubuque area.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

In Galena to visit friends. This was one of the few dog friendly hotels in area. Manager Jeremy treated us well. All other staff interactions were positive. Suite was very clean & bed comfy. Morning coffee enjoyable. Both humans and dogs enjoyed the visit and will likely be back!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 2doghappiness
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your approving review! Jeremy will be pleased to learn of your appreciation. We welcome humans and canines alike and are happy to hear you enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Express and suites, Dubuque!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Hotel was very nice. We were visiting to register our son at University of Dubuque. The breakfast was unique which was great. We enjoyed the fresh cinnamon rolls and pancakes. The only issue was the TV in the breakfast room. The local channels did not work. I was told it has been broken for 3 months and still not repaired. This was disappointing as I am an early riser compared to the rest of my family. So I like to go down to the lobby and watch the news and catch up on my work. It was frustrating that the local channels continued to cut out every 5-10 seconds. A worker stated it has been like that for 3 months and a guest confirmed it has been like that for 3 weeks. I am surprised this nice of a hotel would not take care of this sooner. I plan to return to Dubuque several times over the next few years and hope this is fixed before I go back as I would consider this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura S
Lynette M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubuque-West, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to point out both positive and negative details from your stay. Your insight is greatly appreciated as it not only emphasized our strengths but pointed out what we can do to improve as well. I am happy to report this problem has been resolved, but only after a considerable delay. I do regret the length of time the malfunction with this complication did take and apologize. We are truly grateful for your consideration to come back and appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in us.