“Comfortable”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dubuque
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have no complaints whatsoever. I feel that those who complain are just nit picking. The room was comfortable, clean and modern. It also had a microwave and refrigerator free of charge! The beds were comfortable and the breakfast ample. I also liked the idea of a free newspaper and they have free boosk for both adults and children that you can take with you to read and return at another Country Inn if desired. As a teacher, I appreciate the hotel emphasizing reading.
I enjoyed the free coffee in the lobby and my husband enjoyed the fresh and delicious cookies.
The parking lot was fine and spacious. I will go back to stay. Also, it is a great location for the Mississippi River, a half hour away from Plattsville Wisconsin where the mining museum is located ()which is very interesting I might add) and close to Galena. I will be back.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are near the quaint lobby and breakfast room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were lucky the windows opened as we were booked into a smoking room and they couldn't move us to non-smoking. They kindly offered and did spray the room a couple of times. Breakfast was good with variety. We were four women traveling back and forth from Galena. I don't know if they weren't trained on location of highlights of the area or whether they choose not to be. We wasted time and were upset about that issue. Pool was OK.

Room Tip: If someone is purchasing your room, be sure to remind them if you want non-smoking. The smoking flo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Juneiowa99
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our stay was just "ok" at this Country Inn in Dubuque. The bed was soft and comfortable. The room was large and quiet. A bit outdated decor in the room.
The parking lot is in need of repair. The Jacuzzi tub was relaxing. The knob kept falling off in the Jacuzzi and you could see dirt/grim where the knob once was. The pool is open after 10pm for adults only, but a little disappointed that is was closed for maintenance while we were there. Our room was serviced by house keeping on our second day/night stay. The complimentary hygiene supplies were not replenished, and seemed like it was irritating for the front desk hostess when I asked for shampoo. Would not stay in the King Jacuzzi suite again, and just get a regular room. We have stayed at many "Club Carlson's" and this was our least favorite.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We had a two room suite and was greeted professionally and friendly as usual.

We did use the laundry facilities here and the clerk was more than accommodating to us. The washer does not require quarters but the dryer did and I had to dry each load twice.

Pool was on the small side but nice that it has table and chairs. Jacuzzi was clean and hot.

Our room was a bit outdated in décor. And I do like to see a white bedspread. But everything was super clean and the mattress was very comfortable. We had a smoking room but it did not smell.

We could hear the doors open/close in the hallway, but our bedroom was in back so that was not a problem.

Our living area was set up so that the loveseat actually faced the tv- a bonus.

Had micro/fridge and sink area.

Carpets could use a little cleaning, just a stain nothing that stuck to our feet or anything like that. Windows opened and air worked well at night.

Bathroom was clean and the water pressure was pretty good.

Breakfast was one of the best I have had at a country inn by far. It is small, but the layout moves you right along and they did have a conference room opened that was attached and that gave plenty of seating.

The same clerk that checked us in was hustling and I mean hustling along with another co-worker to keep everything full and replenished. Donuts were fresh and they had a good variety, not just powdered- but jelly and custards among others. There was sausage and all the regular fixins. This is probably the only time I left with a full stomach from a hotel breakfast.

Overall I would stay again.

The entrance and hotel are easy to miss. When you leave you can only go one way and we kept missing our turns and had to make a couple of U turns- so pay attention when you get close. Our GPS didn't do the trick.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iwanttoseeamerica
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Clean facilities, nice room. A refrigerator was included in the room. Breakfast each morning included a warm entrée, not just bagels, toast, etc. One day was French Toast with ham slices, biscuits and gravy with sausage patties and the last morning scrambled eggs with chopped up ham to make breakfast burritos. Staff was pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gayle S
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here while seeing the Field of Dreams field, rooms were spacious, clean, beds were comfortable. Being a rewards member, I wanted easy access for handicap, pool was nice and warm. Was very pleased with the staff and close restaurant just next door. Had an issue with a dirty sheet, staff came immediately and took care of the problem.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay. I had a feeling we were making a good choice as soon as I saw the lobby and how nice it was kept. The extra touches were very obvious in the room, which was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The beds were great. The soaps and shampoos were first class. We had looked at the higher ranked hotels but this one was much nicer and in a great location. Really was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family