“Okay for the price, I guess...”

Redstone Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2008

The Inn has a fine location in the center and is very finely looking from the outside. For the price (75$ for a standard) my room which actually was a room to 90$ per night, the standard is good - but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. The room was very cold and I even stayed there in October - I hope they get the heating going by December ;-)
The internet connection never worked, but I chose to be off line for the evening. But for those needing to get online, this would have been a hassle.
Breakfast was nice, but nothing special, I am sorry to say.
The room I got, was fine, but several others more seemed in the middle of a renovation or just tidying up - what do I know?

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed September 23, 2008

What a delightful little place this is! Jerry was a friendly, mellow guy and recommended several places for me to eat as I arrived hungry after a long day of driving. I found my room clean and well cared for. I didn't use the a/c, so I can't speak to that, but I got the impression that these folks really care about this B&B. Jerry was in the hotel business for a couple decades before taking over this Inn, so he should know customer service, and in my experience, he did.

It's not the Ritz, as the last reviewer seemed to want it to be, but it was clean & cozy. I (solo) found the bed was very comfortable. Two other couples I chatted with at breakfast told me they've stayed at several B&Bs in Dubuque (this was my first B&B ever), and they said this was by far the nicest. The quiche in the morning was so tasty I had two servings, and that required restraint--I could've polished off the whole thing.

I'm currently halfway through a 12,000-mile road trip, and this is my favorite place I've stayed so far. There were, as promised, cookies in the living room during the night (I got in around 1am, and there were still plenty left).

The outside is nice, and there's a cute porch out front with maybe 4 chairs where several people where lounging and chatting earlier in the night.

I adored this little place, and because Dubuque's B&Bs are a little less expensive, it makes them an affordable option for those of us travelers on a budget who normally wouldn't be able to stay at a nice B&B.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at the Inn over Labor Day weekend. We noticed the place needed many repairs. The lamp in our room was temperamental, it wouldn't stay on......I had to keep moving the cord until it finally decided to stay lit.

The items in the room were dust covered. There was a little fabric lined box sitting on the dresser, the cording was coming off and hanging down. I am a very detail oriented person. This type of thing really turns me off. The room was OK. We paid $100 for the night. The air was noisy, we finally shut it off and put a fan in the window. The other window had no screen, I opened it to find this out.

We wre told that they would have hot tea and cookies fresh baked in the lobby to enjoy at all hours. When we go tthere, we saw 2 cookies in the container, they looked like they had been there awhile.

The highlight of the trip was the breakfast in the morning. My hubby enjoyed the home made quick breads. Breakfast was very good, with a large variety. It was filling, with 3 juices to pick from, fresh fruit, yogurt, an egg bake, hot tea, coffee, two different quick breads, scones. It was nice, the dining area is period to the home, with each table set nicely with china. We liked that part. Jerry and his wife were freindly. The housekeeper is very nice, she paid close attention to us, even came by our table and visited. The reality is, you stay at a bed and breakfasts so you can experience that feeling of being in a historical place, and to make a connection with the owners. But that just didn't happen. We have had 8 B&B experiences. We are now going to continue to stay in chain hotels. All but 1 were the experience we were looking for, sadly Redstone Inn didn't fit the ticket.

I just am more interested in seeing things pristine clean, this was not. I like more attention spent on details. This place needs repairs, the front desk needs to be cleaned and organized. The place just has a dirty feel. The grounds are nice, but not neatly manicured like in the photos on the web.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2008

After reading the other reviews I am wondering where I stayed. The managers we encountered were anything but helpful - handed me the key when we arrived - told us to follow the stairs up to the 3rd floor and that was about it. When I attempted to inquire about certain attractions he was unresponsive -

Other than that the palce was OK. The room was spacious and the furnishings appeared to fit the room. I had overheard someone comment that many are reproductions. I'm not an expert so I wouldn't know. The place is impressive looking if you like that old time look. We really enjoyed it. Don't look to close though because you'll see plenty of dust webs. The room appeared clean but the furniture isn't moved very often.

If it wasn't for the housekeeper Ann I am not sure that our impression would have been as positive. She does a fantastic job when the managers are having one of their "off days" - which in this case lasted all 3 days we were there.

This was our first B & B experience and it was much better than the every day fair at the Marriott. Overall we greatly enjoyed our stay and will return to Dubuque but may stay somewhere else and get a "true" B&B experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2008

A couple weeks ago I spent a few days at the Redstone Inn and Suites and had a wonderful experience. Inn keepers Kelly and Jerry are delightful and made sure that my stay with them was great. The inn itself is a veritable Victorian antique museum; the appointments are quite beautiful. The inn was quiet and very homey. I felt very relaxed during my stay. Highlights were relaxing on the front porch, eating the home-made bread at breakfast and scarfing down the ever-present home-made chocolate chip cookies! I can't say enough about the inn and look forward to a return visit this fall.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This a a beautiful mansion with wonderfully friendly service.There was attention to details such as hot water for tea, friut and cookies available. The family made me feel welcome and at home at all times.
It is close to downtown and within walking distance of city attraictions. It is a great place for short and long stays.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2008

A prospective employer put me and my wife up at the Redstone, and it made a good impression, not only for itself, but for my new employer (I got the job!), and for Dubuque. It is a lovely, historic home, with the feel of a European B&B; it's restful and quiet, despite its downtown situation. The parking is a bit confusing at first, but workable and ample, once you know the routine. Homemade cookies in the parlor are a daily afternoon treat. You'll enjoy it.

Stayed: April 2008