“Amazing!”

Redstone Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 8 Dubuque B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a bed and breakfast to stay at for a weekend getaway to Galena, IL. I was looking for something affordable and something with character. I couldn't find much for the price I was willing to pay in Galena. I saw this Inn and was intrigued by the pictures. I decided to book here for our trip. I am so glad I did!

We were upgraded, for no charge. The room was very nice, clean, comfortable and so charming.

The owner was gracious, courteous and very kind. He told us stories of the house and the family who built and lived in the house as we enjoyed breakfast in the dinning room.

I am very happy with my choice to stay here and strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay for business or pleasure.

I hope to return again one day.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin D

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We recently stayed at the Redstone Inn. This was our 2nd visit, our 1st visit was back in 2000. The innkeeper was very gracious. But the inn itself is in desperate need of some TLC. We snuck a peek into the Bridal Suite and noticed that they had stickpins holding up the wallpaper. Also, throughout the inn, the wallpaper was peeling in numerous areas.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 1014Paul
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at the Redstone Inn during a business trip in September 2013. What an absolute gem! The place has so much history and it's maintained with a lot of love and care by innkeeper Robert. He truly made my coworkers and I feel like family, giving us recommendations on places to eat nearby and making sure we had a hearty breakfast to start the day. It's an historic home, so no elevators, but Robert helps you haul your luggage up the stairs. The rooms are beautiful and they're open for you to take a look around, if they're not occupied of course! If you get the chance, try and stay in the "Governor's Suite," which boasts a magnificent bedroom space and amazing bathroom with a tub! The breakfast parlor is really charming, complete with ivy covered windows, and was my favorite room. It's conveniently located within walking distance of Main Street, including the restaurant Pepper Sprout. Highly recommend this place and would go back for a visit in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the Inn are quieter because they are away from the street. Governor's Suite...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Genie576
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying at the Redstone Inn, and we were made to feel completely at home in Dubuque.
The Redstone Inn itself is an historically listed building; the interior bears the grace and appeal of the turn of the last century; the high-ceilinged ground floor includes a welcoming parlour and the breakfast room, the detail of which includes gilded filigree cornices, decorative millwork and hand-cut tiling. The main staircase winds round the front desk, and antique light fixtures adorn the balustrade posts. Nice details, such as cookies in the parlour and a basket of chocolates on the stairway, plus a basket of complimentary treats in the room, were added touches that made us feel even more at home.
Speaking of the guest room, our room was neat as a pin. The bed was made up so neatly and snugly, I could have bounced a coin off it. The mattress itself was very comfortable and we slept soundly. The ensuite bathroom was tidy and completely suited our needs.
Best of all is the hospitality of proprietor Robert Chu. We appreciated the breakfasts he made, his knowledge of the area (including historical knowledge), his warm welcome to guests, and we really enjoyed his personality, friendliness and wry sense of humor. There were a number of long-term business travellers who were also staying in the inn, and we could see why they would choose Redstone over a chain hotel: the sense of welcome and home-iness.
If ever in the Dubuque area again, we would stay here without hesitation. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LT_Minn
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A beautiful old house that was decorated with the history of the house. A very interesting host that told us a lot about the history and the current situation of Dubuque and the redstone inn house itself. We enjoyed our two days there!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Redstone doesn't properly disclose an extra 10% cancellation charge, instead burying it deep in "terms and conditions", when it should be disclosed up front where other cancellation charges are addressed. Then they tried to tell me I couldn't cancel, that I instead needed to contact an (undisclosed) "agent" that they claimed was "my agent" in the transaction, even though all of my transaction with them occurred on the Redstone website.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Thomas W
Reviewed July 8, 2013

You will not forget the REDSTONE INN. Located close to downtown Dubuque.
Very Clean.
Nice people run it.
A mansion straight from the 1800's with original pictures of people that lived there.
Every piece of wood and staircase and corner moldings and light fixtures are pieces of art.
A must see at least once.
Rooms are very comfortable. Flatscreen TV's. Air. Memory foam top beds. (At least in the room we were in).
Breakfast.
This is not the run of the mill place. Something to see in every direction you look in the beautiful home/business.

"Funman"

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Funman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dubuque
Hotel Julien Dubuque
Stoney Creek Inn
Stoney Creek Inn
#1 of 11 in Galena
Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark

Been to Redstone Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!